Twofootitis? Nope, fortyyearitis. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #21

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Parkliner will happily work with you to customize to your desires. Tom is in charge of sales and will happily show you his top of the line personal trailer. There is a truly amazing amount of storage space. It would have cost about $5,000 less than my Snoozy.
However, I couldn't have made three cats happy in it. Hence the snoozy.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Single car garage, Dave. So it might fit in but I couldn't store things along the sides and I'd lose a lot of the space in back, too. I haven't actually measured since I don't want a bigger trailer, just a newer one.

If I go new I'm probably looking at Scamp or Happier Camper. Scamp I might find a late model, used.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #23

Name: Linda
Trailer: casita
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
New. I want everything in excellent condition, working. Not working now but about to break. Not sorta working. Not working today but stops working in the middle of a trip. I'd consider late model, barely used. But if I get a new trailer I don't want to have to fix or upgrade anything unless I want to- not because I have to.

What I like about the Campster- low height, decent sized bed (but I only use it as a 48" wide bed), lightweight, back door. What I don't like (besides age-related defects)- lack of floor space, not very well planned storage, lack of insulation, no awning, no extra bed, poor lighting, no counter space (I'd rather have no kitchen if there is no counterspace). I don't think I'll find the perfect trailer but I'm going to look for something that I like.
Even tho you buy new you aren`t guaranteed that everything will work. Trust me we did that & yes there was more things went wrong than any other time when we have bought used.
lhowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Unless you plan to camp without electricity , there is no need to spend money & get a heater installed , as the smallest electric heater will keep you happy in a 13 ' camper .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #25

Registry
I want a heater that isn't on the floor and can't be knocked over- I have dogs who camp with me. But I don't need a propane heater and there are lots of electric options.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
The small el. Heaters can be placed anywhere you have an outlet , be it on the floor on a table or any other location you desire . The most important advantage to me , was it's light weight . Space saving is another advantage .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #27

Registry
In my Campster I have an electric space heater that mounts on a wall. Works great. I tried a free-standing one but it was always in the way. But you are right that it doesn't take much heat.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #28

Registry
I found the cure for my forty year-itis- I bought an Escape 15A. Or am in the process- I won't get it until the former owner picks up the new Escape next month. I'm in the process of looking for a new Tow as well, probably a Rav4 V6 (2012) or possibly a Toyota Tacoma. (I think the Forester could pull the Escape if it is loaded properly but I think I'd rather not worry about that all the time.)

I was thinking about a new 13 but my dream trailer has been an Escape 15.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Can't recall what the 15' tongue weight is off-hand, but I think it's close to the tongue weight of the 17'. Mine runs 320#, or significantly more than the Forester can handle.
Here's the thread: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...ight-3830.html
Old 08-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bobbie bought at 15A. No bathroom, that has to help with the tongue weight (?)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #31

I think the issue is that the kitchen is at the front of the trailer.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bobbie bought at 15A. No bathroom, that has to help with the tongue weight (?)
Right. And if I needed to I could carry one small propane tank, plus there is a back end hitch so I could use that to balance the tongue load. I had it figured out, but when I started to think about rewiring the Subaru I also started to think about upgrading to something with a little more power. A single axle trailer is pretty easy to balance- I did it all the time to keep my boat trailer's tongue weight correct. In the Campster I have to add tongue weight by carrying the canopy up front (under the table/permanent bed).

But I have a 2012 Forester so I'm not going older if I find a nice 2012 Rav4. I haven't ever driven one so need to do that before I decide for sure what to look for. The Forester has great headroom so if the Rav4 doesn't I'll be looking at something else.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think the issue is that the kitchen is at the front of the trailer.
Dry tongue weight is 190; Forester can do 200. The fridge is almost over the axle, mine doesn't have a sink (so no water.) (I never used the sink in the Campster.) I also don't use propane in the Campster though I might want to use the heater in the Escape. The bed with storage is in the back so plenty of places to store heavier things and adjust for tongue weight. So I think it is do-able and if I don't find the right vehicle I'll do it for awhile, but I think for mountains I'd like more power.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #34

Dry hitch weight ( tongue ) for the 17' is 250#. My actual loaded tongue weight ( two propane tanks, no storage box, batteries on the rear bumper ) is 320#.
But, it's not my Forester.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Dry hitch weight ( tongue ) for the 17' is 250#. My actual loaded tongue weight ( two propane tanks, no storage box, batteries on the rear bumper ) is 320#.
But, it's not my Forester.
Tongue weight is a variable. It's more of one than most people realize. You can get out the scales and adjust it. If you tried I bet you could get your tongue weight back to 250#. And the axle is more centered on the 15 so easier to change tongue weight than it would be- from the pics it looks like the axle is further back on the 17.

Overall weight is more of a concern for me, though, on towing uphill. The brakes will take care of towing downhill but don't help with the uphill part, and I like to have a little pep on the hills.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Once you get it, bring it up to the transfer station by Coupeville to get it weighed. They said the would not charge me to weigh the Campster behind my Ridgeline. I know the weight of the Ridgeline with the dog, so the math is simple. I plan to do it this coming week to see if my wife can tow it behind her CRV.

If you are concerned about getting it weighed before hooking it to the Forester, let me know. I'd be glad to help you out.

Besides, I want to meet you and compare notes on the Campsters.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #37

Registry
Good idea. I wondered if they would do that but forgot to ask when I was up there.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #38

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
It seems there are other FGRV forum members on Whidbey Island. We could have our own rally.
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #39
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Congrats, Bobbie! I saw your post on Escape Forum, but wasn't sure it was you. Lucky day, finding a 15!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:55 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40bpm View Post
It seems there are other FGRV forum members on Whidbey Island. We could have our own rally.
We should do that. I know a couple of others that may or may not be on here.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote