Uhaul Scam in WA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Lil Bigfoot
If you find a Uhaul Trailer for sale in Graham, WA. Be aware this trailer is not properly registered. (The seller) will give you the title to a 1958 Mercury Trailer, not a 1986 Uhaul.

The true title is held by a finance company. It seems (The seller) removed the VIN from a couple of places in the trailer and the was able to register it. (The seller) was informed of this issue by the first person that bought it, so he removed the VIN from the door and sold it again. It was sold to 2 different Fiberglass RV members, but we were both able to get our money back. The next victim may not be so lucky!

(Linked photos removed)

This post was edited by the Moderating staff. While we understand this is information to help inform our members, we do not provide space for content that is defamatory or hateful or that contains objects or symbols of hate, or invades the privacy of any third party.

Mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Mike, if you know what finance company it is, why not send them a note or email; if not, then the Graham police or the county sheriff's office...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:58 AM   #3

Area Law Enforcement has been notified.
I just don't want this guy to take anyone else.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
We're glad to know that people have been alerted to the problems of buying this particular U-Haul trailer, however we wanted to be sure that people know that the lack of a visible VIN doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't buy a trailer. Probably each state/province has its own procedure for registering a trailer without a VIN. Here's what happens in Oregon:

The U-Haul we bought recently had last been titled and registered in another state. It too was missing any visible VIN, and since the title was being transferred from another state, the Oregon Dept. of Motor Vehicles needed to inspect the trailer to confirm that the VIN on the trailer matched that on the title. Since no VIN could be found anywhere on the trailer, they directed us to the State Police, who also looked for the VIN and then did a background check on the VIN listed on the title. The background check came back without any problems, and the state police directed the DMV to issue a VIN number that matched that on our title. DMV printed a metal sticker with the VIN and placed it on the outside of our trailer. A happy ending!

But buying a used trailer from a private party can have risks involved... What precautions should be done to protect both the buyer and seller? Our transaction was done with alot of good faith on both sides (we paid with a personal check and didn't actually receive the title immediately), but we know that this is not the recommended way... What ideally should happen?

Jeanne and Steve
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Where is Lizbeth when you need her?

She has a GOOD story!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 1984 Burro 13 ft and 2000 Burro 17 ft
I would LOVE to find a Uhaul in the PNW. Can you provide contact information for this guy? I know the situation's a bit dubious, but if I went in with eyes wide open, it might turn out alright. Thanks
Leslie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
The true title is held by a finance company.
Quote:
I know the situation's a bit dubious, but if I went in with eyes wide open, it might turn out alright.
If I were you, I'd approach the Finance Company and find out how much they expect to get back. It might be more than the trailer is worth...
Old 05-27-2006, 06:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Having been there and done that I wouldn't touch that trailer with a ten foot pole.....unless it was cheap enough that if I lost the trailer I could afford to lose the money too. I'd be contacting that finance company if I was interested in the trailer.

The finance (possibly insurance company) company is on title for one of three reasons; it was never paid off, it was paid off and the finance company's name was never removed from title, or it was stolen and never recovered so the company holds title.

I bought a trailer that turned out to be held by an insurance company. Another member of this board had seen an Arizona title for it which was supposed to be "packed away for moving" when we bought it. We only recieved a bill of sale. When we tried to register it it was on the CA DMV computer as belonging to an insurance company. It turned out to be an unrecovered theft (probably was taken to AZ and titled there). It took three months to straighten out and turned out fine except it was hard on my nerves!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
We're glad to know that people have been alerted to the problems of buying this particular U-Haul trailer, however we wanted to be sure that people know that the lack of a visible VIN doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't buy a trailer. Probably each state/province has its own procedure for registering a trailer without a VIN.
My VIN didn't match anything in the DMV computer since they didn't have Fiber Stream listed as a manufacturer. After being sent back and forth between the DMV and the police who didn't want to be bothered, one of the DMV people issued me a title for a homemade trailer with no VIN.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:28 AM   #10

Let me be more clear.
The issue with this trailer is not a non-visable VIN.
The issue is the seller has removed the original VIN and re-registered the trailer with a made-up VIN.
Since I was able to find the real VIN and run the trailer. I was able to also find out the seller does not own this trailer and the title he has is bogus.
In WA, this is a felony.
The seller was informed of this fact by the 1st buyer.
But that didn't keep him from trying to sell it to me.
The finance company and law enforcement have been informed.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 1984 Burro 13 ft and 2000 Burro 17 ft
Zoinks. Consider me deterred! Thanks, everyone.
Leslie L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul