under counter radio - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #21

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
phoneman you know your stuff not only that you have done it I cant believe those car radios can do this? I believe you!

The Sangaun is out too expensive so I guess back to thinking again. What is really happening too is poor reception in the Scamper. I don't understand that either it firberglass with little wiring in it!

Oh well I just used it for mostly wx anyway I can listen in the am while traveling cant help the wx much anyway.

thanks

bob
Bob
Scamp uses foil based insulation,Shielded inside trailer to R.F.

Don't know the vintage of yours but this is the first thing it makes me consider?

Get the Antenna OUTSIDE!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #22

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I wish Scamp wouldn't use foil on their bubblewrap insulation. The foil really reduces radio wave power. That's why some folks wear tin foil hats. Look up Faraday Cage. Automobile makers put their radio antennas outside the vehicle for a reason. Even my DW can be seen holding her cell phone near the car's windows when reception gets iffy. I expect an external antenna would be a good idea in a Scamp or any metal RV too.

And don't get me started on Scamp's silly R-15 claims. Reflective surfaces do resist heat transfer but really need a ¾ inch air gap to be effective, something not present in our trailers. They should use the white (small cell) foam wrap like you sometimes see protecting electronic devices. It's tiny cells resist heat transfer better then the large cells in bubblewrap and our radios would work better too. Still it would take over 2 inches of thickness to achieve Scamp's R15 claims. That said, Scamp's bubblewrap is way better than nothing, just wish the would save money and leave out the foil.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
foil

john foil insulation is a waste sort of like shorting me 3 feet on my Scamp. Shhhhh I cant bring this up!!!

I sold hospital dietery supplies one coffee cup was air insulated and one had the insulation poured all around it. The temp retention was a waste the food was delivered in insulated carts the coffee or tea was the right temp to drink when it arrived.

I know these things I sold it and I used it at the hospital several times and knew what was going on well for the most part was out of it some. I did not like cream of wheat 3x in a row for breakfast!

bob

a 13f or 10f Scamp is ridiculous!!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Ed by golly you have me thunkin again!

trouble on the way

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote