Unusual Fiberglass rig parked down my street - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Unusual Fiberglass rig parked down my street

This rig appeared on my block last Summer. Seems the driver was a friend of one of my neighbors. She reported that its very hard to drive.

I heard only a few of these were ever made. Sales were poor due to limited inside space and strange meat product odors.
Attached Thumbnails
wiener mobile.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Hot dog, these things were the wurst RVs ever, but I relish the thought of owning one, as their beds are soft as bread!
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Madison Wisconsin was the home of Oscar Meyer for 98 years, til last year. I suppose they moved to China like many American businesses. Seems $15 per hour is just too much for tube steak makers.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:45 AM   #4

Name: Roy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Hot diggity, Dave these were really good in Chili conditions!!
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I wonder if it whistled as you drove down the street.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
This rig appeared on my block last Summer. Seems the driver was a friend of one of my neighbors.

I heard only a few of these were ever made. Sales were poor due to limited inside space and strange meat product odors.
Talk about odor problems:

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I never saw that model of a Big Foot before.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Hot dog, these things were the wurst RVs ever, but I relish the thought of owning one, as their beds are soft as bread!
Dave & Paula
They may be the "Wurst" But the "Brats" on the commercial say everyone would be in love with it.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Need a lot of dough for a weinermobile.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Not to get into namecalling but if you couldn’t drive one of those you’d be a wienie. On the other hand if you dumped the clutch and got some scratch you’d be a hot dog. Old folks like me remember seeing them as a kid and still seeing one once in a while these days. What? I’m not bunny? You gotta ketchup.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My wife, Leslie, (AKA Old Bag ) was AKA a Hot Dog Lady at the kid's school. Long-time volunteer, managing and working Hot Dog Day.
The other volunteers arranged a special event. One lunch time, the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile pulled up at the school, picked her up and drove her around the school while the kids waved at her buns. We still have a couple miniature plastic "cars".
Old 12-28-2017, 04:37 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
everyone stop your making me hungry.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:20 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=One lunch time, the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile pulled up at the school, picked her up and drove her around the school while the kids waved at her buns. We still have a couple miniature plastic "cars".[/QUOTE]

In '62 Little Oscar & his Weinermobile stopped at our local shopping center cheered on by hundreds of kids. Kind of wish I still had one of the little cars he passed out to us.
What an RV that would make though.....pretty much everyone would remember seeing it and getting a 100x more folks asking for a look than our eggs get.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:27 AM   #14

Name: Sean
Trailer: Trillium 1300 (1975)
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
In '62 Little Oscar & his Weinermobile stopped at our local shopping center cheered on by hundreds of kids. Kind of wish I still had one of the little cars he passed out to us.
What an RV that would make though.....pretty much everyone would remember seeing it and getting a 100x more folks asking for a look than our eggs get.
Reminds me of the old 3 stooges joke. I used to work at the bakery...
I got tired of the dough and went on the loaf.
Sean in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #15

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Back in the late 60's or so a friend of my parents worked for Oscar Meyer, and one day Little Oscar showed up in this thing and I got to meet him! Quite a thrill for a 13 year old girl!
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #16

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Have I mentioned how much I like "groaners"? This was almost like dinner with my school age children. : )

Non humorously, my father was an agricultural economist for USDA all his professional life, and when the meat packers had to start placing expiration dates on all meat products he told me that on processed meats like hot dogs expiration dates could safely be ignored for 6 months to a year, as long as you use common sense regarding storage and a whiff test prior to cooking. Because of the sheer amount of preservatives used.

A few years back all DH and I had in the fridge was a pack of Oscar Meyer wieners that were 6 months out of date. They smelt and tasted like any other OM weiner, and we didn't get sick off them.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Airstreams have always taken a lot of bread, but this one...
Attached Thumbnails
Airstream Toaster.jpg  
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #18

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Burro
Alaska
Wiener-mobile!

I grew up in Madison and remember meeting Little Oscar in his rig as a child. Later I worked for a short time in Oscar Meyer's Wiener Tunnel boxing hot dogs. OM was a prominent part of my life growing up. "My bologna has a first name..."
Biasdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 16
Wisconsin
You guys are very punny :-)

My wife's nephew was recruited by Kraft (parent company of Oscar Meyer) to a one year stint as a "Hot Dogger" upon graduation from University of Wisconsin - Madison. He was half of several (4? 5?) two-person teams that were assigned to a portion of the country for six months. After 6 months they were assigned a new partner and a new region. They would tour their region and visit retailers and local / regional events to promote Oscar Meyer products.

While he did have to learn to drive the rig (from a retired county Sheriff), and do so in all kinds of weather & traffic, and spent countless nights in hotels, he really enjoyed the gig and the positive reactions from passers-by. Claimed to have never seen so many smiling & waving motorists as while driving the Weinermobile.

Now that Oscar Meyer has closed their plant in Madison, I believe I heard that the program continues, but has been relocated to Kraft HQ in Chicago.
Brian5305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I worked for the competition Wilson and Co. in Cedar Rapids. When rally talk turns to “ jobs I had in my life” and I’ve had a couple brews, I usually relate a couple packinghouse shenanigans to spice up the discussion. If I really get rolling I’ve been known to break into song and do the old Boy Scout favorite
Johnny Verbeck”. Ever go to work with just a bottle of bar b que sauce in your lunch box? And your brother in law, next through the gate, only had a loaf of bread.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote