Upgrading RVs to Oliver - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Upgrading RVs to Oliver

Just curious if anyone here has upgraded from a smaller trailer to the larger Oliver? We toured the factory and were impressed with the new unit that is 23 feet long. Also, is anyone willing to share their experiences with this particular unit? I am not interested in the smaller trailers.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I looked at Olivers and thought they were a bit heavy for their sizing; they also weren't too willing to do much customization for me. For us an Escape was a better upsize from a 17LD.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Toured the factory. Very impressed with it, especially the hidden features such as access to all wire races, the ability to easily change the tanks should a leak occur even though the tanks are sandwiched between the outer and inner shell. And the top quality hardware they use. Hooked one up and towed it. Tracked well and maneuvered well. The only reason I did not buy one was that when attached to my truck, it would have been rather difficult to maneuver around my tight driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
.... the ability to easily change the tanks should a leak occur even though the tanks are sandwiched between the outer and inner shell.
How would one easily change the tanks with the innner and outer shell sitting on top of them? thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
pro1.jpg  
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #5

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
JR, we currently own a T@b and put a deposit down for an Oliver back in Sept, not delivered yet of course but it will be a big jump for us obviously. Like you we were impressed with the build quality. There are some aesthetic considerations that I question and am not particularly fund of which we are working through, nothing major though. Not sure this helps you original question

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Just curious if anyone here has upgraded from a smaller trailer to the larger Oliver? We toured the factory and were impressed with the new unit that is 23 feet long. Also, is anyone willing to share their experiences with this particular unit? I am not interested in the smaller trailers.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #6

Montana
Likewise we also have a small driveway on a narrow street in a historical area of our town and am concerned with getting the TT in and out when needed. I think its doable but will be tight. Having looked for some 10 ish years for the perfect TT (which does not exist) the Oliver comes as close as anything for our needs and desires as anything we have seen and toured which has to be in the hundreds by now. So we bellied up to the bar and got in line.

Just some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Toured the factory. Very impressed with it, especially the hidden features such as access to all wire races, the ability to easily change the tanks should a leak occur even though the tanks are sandwiched between the outer and inner shell. And the top quality hardware they use. Hooked one up and towed it. Tracked well and maneuvered well. The only reason I did not buy one was that when attached to my truck, it would have been rather difficult to maneuver around my tight driveway.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #7

Montana
Ken I believe they come out from the backside underneath the spare tire cover via the diamond plate box. I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Yes. I was told you drill out 4 rivets and drop the plate there at the bumper, and then the tanks can come out.

Robert was telling me the had a customer who inadvertantly drilled a hole in his fresh water tank and they had to remove/replace it.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
How would one easily change the tanks with the innner and outer shell sitting on top of them? thanks.
So what do you think is in that long pipe upstream from that valve?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #10

Montana
Thats sounds right to me too.

But Ron, you ordered your trailer with almost every option available except the backup camera. Now get back in there get all of them and don't leave anything out, LOL.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #11

South Carolina
Hee, hee! I didn't get it because I only go forward, never back!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #12

Montana
:~))…

But did you know it can be used going down the road forward, not just backwards to see all those big 18 wheelers etc riding your tail, or to better asses lane changes with traffic behind you. Something to think about seriously. Just a thought.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Outlaw View Post
JR, we currently own a T@b and put a deposit down for an Oliver back in Sept, not delivered yet of course but it will be a big jump for us obviously. Like you we were impressed with the build quality. There are some aesthetic considerations that I question and am not particularly fund of which we are working through, nothing major though. Not sure this helps you original question
We may have seen your unit under construction. There were several in the beginning stages. Like you, I was impressed with the quality and I think complaints about weight are due to the double wall construction which makes for a sturdier unit. The marine quality hardware was also impressive along with storage space. Most important, the people were not pushy sales persons but answered every question I had. In return, I suggested they change the name of the backup camera to rearview camera since it can be used to watch traffic behind the trailer, something I like to be able to know about, having done some commercial driving in my day. I must sell my Casita before I can order an Oliver.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #14

Amazing you can get to the tanks like that, thanks again. They should bring back the old slogan, trailers built to last a lifetime. I liked that, the Oliver family meant it.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Upgrading RVs to Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Outlaw View Post
Ken I believe they come out from the backside underneath the spare tire cover via the diamond plate box. I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.

That is correct. All hose/tube connections are accessible from inside under benches or cabinets. Disconnect, remove plate, slide out, slide new one in. You really have to see the Oliver to appreciate everything. For example, A/C doesn't drain on roof and run down the side. It has a hose which drips under the trailer.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #16

South Carolina
Actually, I have a wireless camera setup I used on my last trailer. The camera is powered from the license plate light and attaches on the plate. I didn't use it much, but I may install it on my new trailer.

Weight doesn't concern me much as I have a 3/4 ton truck. My traveling weight will probably be around 5500 lbs, so nothing to really get worked up about. I'd rather have the build quality than the light weight.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #17

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Today was supposed to be our pick up day, but found out Friday they had the wrong axels on the trailer. Supplier sent the wrong ones and not caught till they took the trailer to get weighed for the vin number. Hopefully it will be corrected and ready next week.

In answer to the original question, we had a slid in pick up camper before buying the Oliver. This will be like living in luxury compared to that camper. But it worked for us when we were pulling a trailer full of horses, but that's history. Moving on to a different type of camping, but do miss the horses and the trail riding.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #18

South Carolina
That is kinda scary. How would that be discovered? How would weighing it bear that out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #19

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
I don't know. Robert called us on Friday and that's when they found out it has 3300 lb axels instead of the 3500 lb axels. I will ask more about that when we pick it up, you would have thought somebody would be checking part numbers when they were installed on the frame. You can bet there will be some double checking from here on out. It's odd that the supplier cannot even give them a solid date when the right ones will be ready to ship. Robert said they will send a truck to go pick them up when ready. Guess they are made somewhere in Georgia.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #20

So Stan will you wait at the Oliver factory/Town or drive back home to Kansas. Didn't know if you were retired or not.

Tags
oliver