"UPGRADING" trailer. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1968 Redale
I need ideas for a light weight trailer like a Scamp, the lighter the better. Mostly travel alone, but want something, if it exist, with a drop down bunk (second bed) for occasional guest. Know of any models? I am selling my 13 ft. 68 Redale which is too heavy and will be looking in the near future for something I can pull with a 6 cylinder. New to "eggs".
Brian Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The frame and shells on any of the FBRVs don't add up to much weight. It's the ammentiies and stuff you bring along that push the scales up.

Just for info -- my parents when they were still living pulled a 13 ft Scamp all over the nation with a Renault R10 fuelled by propane during the gas "crisis" of the mid 70's and early 80's. The Renault was supplanted by a Mazda pickup during that time.

Later they upgraded through a series of larger and larger rigs then dropped down to a 16 ft Scamp that they pulled with a 6 cyl Toyota Cresida.

Dad always said the Scamp and the Mazda pickup, which was a 4 cyl was his favorite traveling rig.

So I think most any 6 cyl rig would pull a small FGRV just fine.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I pull a 13 with a 4 banger. Just about any of them should be fine for you.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Brian, as long as your 6 cyl tow vehicle is rated for 3500 lbs, with a very few exceptions you can pretty much tow any molded fiberglass camper products ever built in the 17' and under range.

There is a wide variety of floor plans, amenities and styles out there to choose from and most have dry curb weights of from 1200 lbs (at the low end) to 3,000 lbs. You ought to be able to find something that suits your needs!

Check out our albums link (at the very top of the page) for photos of most of the brands manufactured over the years. They aren't all-inclusive, but they cover most of them!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 1968 Redale
Thanks for the info.
Brian Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft / Landrover Freelander
My little land rover only has a 2.7 ltr .pulls my 13' easy up and safely DOWN all of our colorado passes.Its not a loaded one but great for just me.I'f you've never been in one come on over ,I'll show you mine.
brian dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote