Used Craigslist listing: is this a scam? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: In the market
NJ
Used Craigslist listing: is this a scam?

Found a Craigslist listing for a 1982 Burro for only $1200. I text the guy, he asks for my email, so I give it to him.

Then he sends me an email with these details:
- Had throat surgery a few weeks ago so he moved in with his daughter 1000 miles away so he can't meet me in person (first red flag lol)
- The camper is "already at eBay who will deliver it to next owner"
- The deal will be made through eBay
- I will have 5 days to test the camper BEFORE purchasing it
- Asked for my name, delivery address, and eBay username, so he can send an invoice through eBay, who will explain the rest of the process

This is definitely a scam right?
James in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
YES!!!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:11 AM   #3

Name: Karen
Trailer: boler
New Jersey
Registry
IMHO, its definitely a scam. You noted several red flags, plus if the deal was being made through ebay the trailer would be listed ON ebay. I looked for a burro on craigslist and there isn't one, nor is there one on ebay. Maybe it was already flagged as a scam and removed. In this instance, "if it sounds too good to be true....." seems to apply.

Good luck with your search. Try the fiberglass rvs for sale site if you haven't already. Here on the east coast ( Fellow NJ'er here) they're a little difficult to find.
kvnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #4

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnj View Post
IMHO, its definitely a scam. You noted several red flags, plus if the deal was being made through ebay the trailer would be listed ON ebay. I looked for a burro on craigslist and there isn't one, nor is there one on ebay. Maybe it was already flagged as a scam and removed. In this instance, "if it sounds too good to be true....." seems to apply.

Good luck with your search. Try the fiberglass rvs for sale site if you haven't already. Here on the east coast ( Fellow NJ'er here) they're a little difficult to find.
Thank you, also I've looked at that site a few times and wasn't able to figure out how to limit the search to only RVs within ~100 miles of New Jersey. Do you have any idea how to do that?
Old 04-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #5

Name: Karen
Trailer: boler
New Jersey
Registry
The site doesn't seem to have that feature. If you're on social media, like Facebook, they have a few groups where people sell fiberglass trailers as well.
kvnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #6

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
If you fall for this scam...please let me know....I have a really great bridge to sell you.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #7

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 19 Deluxe
Minnesota
Registry
Your first red flag should have been the price. Too good to be true.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #8

Name: Dano
Trailer: Winnebago
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by James in NJ View Post
Found a Craigslist listing for a 1982 Burro for only $1200. I text the guy, he asks for my email, so I give it to him.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY A SCAM!!!!

"If it is too good to be true...... " comes to mind.

Now that you gave the scammers your email & phone #, your problems are just starting. Sure do HOPE you have strong passwords.....

If they crack your email password, they will start sending "forgot password" links to every financial institution hoping for a "hit".

Your email & phone may even make it to the dark web's list of potential "clients" (suckers) too

They will start sending spam to your phone# and email hoping you are naive enough to click on links so they can hack install malware on your phone.

Apologies for being harsh, but you need a wake up call.

Recommend you create a email address JUST for responding to such nonsense.
DanoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #9

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoFL View Post
IT IS ABSOLUTELY A SCAM!!!!

"If it is too good to be true...... " comes to mind.

Now that you gave the scammers your email & phone #, your problems are just starting. Sure do HOPE you have strong passwords.....

If they crack your email password, they will start sending "forgot password" links to every financial institution hoping for a "hit".

Your email & phone may even make it to the dark web's list of potential "clients" (suckers) too

They will start sending spam to your phone# and email hoping you are naive enough to click on links so they can hack install malware on your phone.

Apologies for being harsh, but you need a wake up call.

Recommend you create a email address JUST for responding to such nonsense.
No worries, thanks for the advice
Old 04-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #10

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
If you fall for this scam...please let me know....I have a really great bridge to sell you.
how much? lol
Old 04-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #11

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I recently bought this one. Crosses that big river, seller wouldn't give his full name but did say he is well known in the area. His picture is fuzzy but the price was right and he promised to throw in a star he was naming after me. Is Craig's list great, or what?
Attached Thumbnails
GWBridge2.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #12

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have a nice Scamp, but the title is tied up by Nigerian uncle who is the prince of the country. He needs to get his check cashed for $10,000 in order to pay off the note, He will give you the $10,000,000 if you will send him only $1000.00 to pay off the Scamp.
It is in escrow at the Ebay warehouse awaiting the PayPal funds...
Remember the good book says "He was a stranger, so we took him in. We done took you in."
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:06 PM   #13

NJ
lmao
Old 04-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #14

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

Then he sends me an email with these details:
- Had throat surgery a few weeks ago so he moved in with his daughter 1000 miles away so he can't meet me in person (first red flag lol)
- The camper is "already at eBay who will deliver it to next owner"
- The deal will be made through eBay
- I will have 5 days to test the camper BEFORE purchasing it
- Asked for my name, delivery address, and eBay username, so he can send an invoice through eBay, who will explain the rest of the process

Change any info you gave him. If you gave him any ebay info get it changed now. If you don't you may lose a lot.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thank you, also I've looked at that site a few times and wasn't able to figure out how to limit the search to only RVs within ~100 miles of New Jersey. Do you have any idea how to do that?

Within 100 miles? Very unlikely to find a molded FG trailer. I've bought three, closest was 425 miles away (one way).

But hey, you could get lucky! While hoping to get lucky, I would cast a much wider net.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:54 PM   #16

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Within 100 miles? Very unlikely to find a molded FG trailer. I've bought three, closest was 425 miles away (one way).

But hey, you could get lucky! While hoping to get lucky, I would cast a much wider net.
Holy ****, good to know though
Old 04-25-2021, 06:54 PM   #17

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Change any info you gave him. If you gave him any ebay info get it changed now. If you don't you may lose a lot.
He only has my phone number and email address, and I never responded to the email. Do you think I need to change my phone number?
Old 04-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would not change number, however, do yourself a favor. Get a google phone number. Its free and perfect to use to protect your regular phone!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #19

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I would not change number, however, do yourself a favor. Get a google phone number. Its free and perfect to use to protect your regular phone!
Ah didn't know about that, thank you will do