Used FG Eggs: Are Buyers Crazy? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #61

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
My The [QUOTE=David and Nancy;559033]Those of us that have the fiberglass bug tend to place more value in the aesthetics of FG trailers than in the nuts and bolts. I have a close friend who wanted a small, inexpensive camper to tow behind his 4-cyl. Toyota truck. I convinced him that a 13' FG was exactly what he needed. He is not handy and doesn't want to constantly repair things. Just go camping. We are off the beaten track here in Wyoming, so used units are generally very far away. Sold before we can even get there. And "affordable" units have many years and miles of serious wear and tear. Sure, the fiberglass is durable but the lightweight frames are not. And appliances, pumps, heaters, AC's etc all wear out at the same rate as in sticky trailers. After two years, my friend has completely given up this idea and is still camping in the back of his pickup. I feel my advice wasn't right for him and he should have been more open-minded about light-weight non-FG units which he could be enjoying right now. When you are near 70 years old maybe you don't really need a trailer that will last 30-40 years?

Owning many used RV 's in the past . I do own a new Escape now . I have found the refrigerator 's , stove's , pumps to be very good quality , the Shurflo pump in my last used RV was 21 years old never was replaced . My new Shurflo pump died in less then 2 years . The Dometic frig in used RV that was 24 years old only needed a electric unit 40. and frig always worked like a champ even in hot and warm temps . The new Dometic has pretty led lights and has been a struggle to adding , installation , fans inside and out etc. so many fixes to improve it's performance I can't remember them all . My point is new isn't problem free . Old unit's can be a great deal . If do want you can afford but don't disregard older unit's thinking , everything needs replacing and is no longer of any use . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #62

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I have noticed that the prices are much higher this year than previous years. Good thing I purchased my six when prices were much lower.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #63

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have noticed that the prices are much higher this year then previous years. Good thing I purchased my six when prices were much lower.
Dave, It's the 'hoarders' driving up the prices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #64

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It's like buying anything. Sometime you find a good deal...
But rarely if you're in a hurry!

Patience. And an extra pair of eyes- preferably someone who is not in a hurry or emotionally invested- when inspecting a used trailer.

If you want to hedge your bets, Scamp has the most generous deposit and cancellation policy I'm aware of. It is possible to get in line for a new one and still have many months to continue searching for a used unit without penalty. I think you might still be able to get in line for an early summer delivery 2016.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #65

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Dave, It's the 'hoarders' driving up the prices.
Sorry..... Aw who am I kidding?

Got to find my happy place somewhere.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #66

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
For what it's worth, we notice some folks picking up those "35 year oldies, well worn" units (that the original poster mentioned) in hopes of restoring them, but the job overwhelms them. It was very likely limited funds that led to buy at the bottom rung, and perhaps, just perhaps it was the contagion of the FG group thing that urged them on, but when the reality of the task before them settles in some must realize they had not foreseen all that was involved, the skills/tools and time involved in restoration nor the funds required to put the camper back on the road in a semblance of safe and secure condition. Lessons will be learned I suppose. Perhaps some of these projects will then be re-sold and the cycle repeats itself. But some do get restored beautifully. What the percentage is of quality restorations to abandoned/re-sold projects is anyone's guess, I suppose. Neither over paying nor under paying can be stopped in a free market.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #67

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
ok it's like buying and old car 1972 for 6000.00 or 1961 chev 20000.00
?
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #68

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
It's simply a matter of supply and demand. If people are willing to pay you for what you have, that is the correct price!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #69

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Understanding basic economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote from Post #51... But I'm seeing trailers that look run-of-the-mill, with 30-40 years of wear and tear, offered for half the cost of a new one! To my mind, such a trailer should bring only 15-20% of new, or less than that if they aren't in "ready to camp" condition with everything working.

It sounds like you are trying to equate FGRV deprecation with vehicle and sticky deprecation.

Then look at supply and demand. With a 3 to 15 month backlog, the supply for new units today is, basically, zero and, with many used items , it's the demand, not intrinsic value, that determines price.

As long as there is demand and buyers, the price for used FGRV's is what the price is .... When there are no longer demand and buyers, the prices will go down.
Well said Bob
Old 11-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #70

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Bob every thing on wheels has a frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
First, I can't find any references for what a "G30 Elite" even looks like, but I have never seen a class "C" that was molded fiberglass and also had a V10 engine. Tell us more about that.

Moreover, with but one exception, I don't know of any FGRV's than don't have a frame. That's sorta like "Boneless Chicken".
: so does shank's pony have a frame of sorts or he would just drop to the ground!
Like I said how in heck they came up with a Class C Elite which was one great rental at one time then who knows how many do it your self owners until we got it. I was sorry to let it go but my wife wanted a walk around Queen bed and now she is happy because that is what she got when we bought small Class A. You know a happy wife is a happy life!
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #71

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
It was over 20 years old and beat, and I know I paid too much for my '86 Scamp but was happy to grab it. In the mid-Atlantic states fiberglass trailers are scarce as hens teeth. The rebuilding process never got in the way of the fun. I eventually sold it a few years later and still made a very tidy profit. It's fiberglass, baby!
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #72

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I bought a new 13' 10 years ago. I paid real close to $10,000 for it. Now that looks like a great deal to me. I got the options I wanted, and it was ready to go. As of now that works out to about $1,000 per year. By the time I'm through with it it'll be closer to $300 to $400 per year. Maintenance cost at this time has been less than $100 per year, no major projects or expenses.
I'm happy with my choice. By the way we're camping well over 100 nights per year. During our working years it was 30-40 nights per year.

I wonder how many "project trailers" end up costing more than I paid for new?
Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #73

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I paid $4100 for mine and put another $1000 into it with new wiring, panel, windows, and some general repairs over the years. I've had it since 2005. I consider it a great price for all the fun I've had.
And, I could sell it right now for,,,um, lets see, I'll bet I can get $5100 for it in today's market..
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #74

Name: Shane
Trailer: 1978 trillium 4500
Ontario
It's about if you want to do the work, older trailers need work(sometimes a lot)new ones don't! I paid $5000 for my 1978 trillium 4500 6 years ago. The trailer was in a barn for 15years and not used, the gel-coat is perfect!! New trillium fully loaded out the door was going to be $27500 Canadian! I think that's crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1448417674.634644.jpg  
Treeax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #75

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
When we bought our 1970 Campster we knew it needed a lot of work.
It was pulled out of the field with a tractor.
Paid our $800 for it.
Old tires were aired up and away we go.
Yes, we made it the 40 miles home.
It was fun to plan and lots of work but so rewarding to see it become a beauty again.
After a summer and fall of pulling old flooring out, new floor in and new top material, new tires and much more we were done!

All that matters is we we enjoyed the process!
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #76

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Some of us buy the oldies because we want aspects not available in a new trailer. We specifically wanted the queen sized bed, light weight and pop-top low towing profile we got with our Compact II.
Did we overpay? Considering their rarity, I don't think so. In any case we were happy to get it and happy to put in some labor and about another $1000 to make it just what we wanted.

Some people prefer new. Go figure

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #77

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
I'll share my experience as a seller.

When Cari and I decided to sell Parkliner #35 I did some research and came up with a figure I thought was fair to both buyer and seller. My goal of course was to sell the trailer as we were moving in a different direction...

BUT...

And this is a big but,
I really wanted any possible buyer to be happy and have no remorse.
I believe that the new owners of PL#35 are truly excited to have her in their family...they sure seemed that way pulling out of our driveway!

May they have safe travels and many great adventures.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #78

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cost of used.

We bought a 1991 Scamp 16 in 2011 for about $6000 and modified it to fit our travels. I never considered the cost of our mods (before today) but I do know you can't buy a Scamp like ours. Of course the cost of my labor is not included. The reality these cost were spread over 5 years of ownership. Most are labor intensive, not costly for materials.

1. 3 Goodyear Marathons, $360.
2. New cushions and a 2" ball receiver from Scamp, $500.
3. 100 watt solar panel and controller $250.
4. Rear trailer camera, $50.
5. Rear bumper box, 2 fence pole's for storage $60.
6. 5 under trailer storage boxes, $60.
7. Painted bottom and frame, $40.
8. Replaced door lock, $40
9. Added cable and TV jacks, $30.
10. Added doorside support Jack, $30.
11. New curtains, $30.
12. Memory Foam topper, $30
13. Folding table, $30.
14. 5 additional drawers, $70.
15. Overhead dinette cabinet, $50
16. Overhead coach cabinet, $50.
17. Canned Goods slideout Pantry, $30
18. Pots and Pans shelves, $20.
19. 5 AC outlets, 3 with USB chargers, $80.
20. 4 12 Vdc outlets, $40.
21. DC Convertor replaced, $120.
22. 1200 Watt Inverter added, $70.
23. wine rack, spice rack and meds rack. $60.
24. Over rear window and doors shelves, $30.
25. Modified hanging closet for hamper and shelves, $30
26. Replaced all cabinet doors with birch, $50
27. Added cabinet locks, $50.
28. Added Screen door, $60.
29. Added cable and TV outside Jacks, $30.
30. Added 5000 btu air conditioner, $170.
31. Added 20 miscellaneous storage containers, $40.
32. Replaced wrought iron cabinet support $10.
33. Added fans to fridge cooling, $30.
34. Added collapsible clothes line, $20.
35. Added slides to utensil/silverware drawer. $15.
36. Added breakaway switch $30.
37. Added two AC breakers to breaker box. $30.
38. Replaced water fill and hose connector. $40.
39. Replace bulbs with LEDs, $50. New
40. Add 2 LED spots, $40.
50. Replace florescent with LED Bar, $30.
51. Replace Tail lights with LED fixtures. $60.
52. Storage location under fridge for canned goods and beverages, $20
53. Distributed thermometers, inside fridge, inside and outside temp, $30.
54. Tall Kitchen Faucet, $60.
55. Valve in toilet inlet line, $10.
56. Misc. small repairs, sealants and the like $200

Total: about $3250, probably $4000 spent over 5 years of ownership or so including this and that. These are ball park numbers.

There are lots of benefits from upgrading a trailer. You actually get to figure the whole rig out and more importantly make it more useful. Certainly it looks a little worn, like us, but still functioning and making us comfortable.

If you have time, an older rig is fun and educational. In the process you get functionality that's just not available, certainly from Scamp.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #79

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
FREE TRAILERS

If one buys well and markets well, one can indeed get a free trailer! I have been doing this for 18 years. A 1970 13' Scotty, a 1975 15' Shasta, a 1989 16' Casita sd a 1986 avion 30', and a 2007 Casita sd, all sold for more than I paid for them.

Unfortunately my 2006 bigfoot 21fb will probably not sell for what i paid, but surely will not depreciate the way a car or (even worse) a tin over stick camper.
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #80

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My wife is tracking the money being invested in our 1986 16' Scamp rebuild, but I hope to never know!
We will have a Scamp like no other and hopefully it meets our needs and desires.
We looked into the 17' Casita for enough headroom for her and the weight and price were a little high for us.
The Scamp had the headroom, but not the twin beds SWMBO wanted to avoid climbing over in the night.
Our trip through rebuild and modification is nearing (or more nearing) the end with mini split A/C - Heat pump, tankless hot water, electric fridge, twin beds, new 3/4" plywood totally fiberglassed floor, modified frame, front bath, new power converter, and oak cabinets, new axle brakes wheels and tires. Whew!
But you could not buy a camper like ours (perhaps you would not want one either!).
We kept the back half of the frame and shell and the rest is new and redesigned for our desires. Filled in all of the un-needed cutouts and holes and all of the rivets and caps are gone replaced with stainless screws and plywood bulkheads etc.
Is it worth it? Call me back in a few years!
As to the prices in Craigslist I find that many do not exist and are lowball. I have wondered what the purpose of the posting might be other than to get your contact information or dupe someone into buying "Vaportrailers".
When we started looking we tried tracking down lots of these listings and finally bought ours in Mineral Wells TX. for more than we wanted to spend, but we did get a little off the asking price. There were many others wanting to buy the rig as well.
The things are worth what someone is willing to pay.
That being said if it smells musty inside be prepared to replace the floor!
These things can absorb large amounts of time and money when they have been neglected (mostly sitting in the weather with leaking windows and holes.)
Ours will be "better" than new, but still cost less. we could have bought a late model used one for less however.
This one will be finished and paid for completely very soon. (pay as you fix!)
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote