Using a trailer dolly? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Using a trailer dolly?

Okay, I've have an Escape 17B comin’ to my neighborhood soon and I need some input, aka help.

The only entrance to my parking is an alley that’s 16’ wide, all of us home owners have managed to put permanent fences right to the edge, and the gate to my parking slab is 20’. I've managed to put a small 5th wheel back there but nothing the size of the 17’er hanging off the back of a 4Runner and no wife to help with the backing. With this in mind I’m looking for a powered trailer dolly simply to make life easier. Has anyone used one? How did it work out for you? What brands would you suggest?

This is not something I’d haul around for camping.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Okay, I've have an Escape 17B comin’ to my neighborhood soon and I need some input, aka help.

The only entrance to my parking is an alley that’s 16’ wide, all of us home owners have managed to put permanent fences right to the edge, and the gate to my parking slab is 20’. I've managed to put a small 5th wheel back there but nothing the size of the 17’er hanging off the back of a 4Runner and no wife to help with the backing. With this in mind I’m looking for a powered trailer dolly simply to make life easier. Has anyone used one? How did it work out for you? What brands would you suggest?

This is not something I’d haul around for camping.
Part of the solution to your problem depends on the surface and grade. It's a hard surface (concrete asphalt) and level you might try a human powered dolly first.
Most powered dollies I've looked at are pretty expensive.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Pat, a couple of members here have home built electric dollies that seem to be doing the trick. Maybe do a search for their posts or they may chime in.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Here's a discussion link....

Electric Trailer Dolly, anyone ever use one? - Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

from a boat site. one suggestion, toward the end, mentions trying a winch mounted to the back of the garage.

I've often wondered how that might work.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We've used a manual dolly, an EZ tug, and now have a park it 360 that we purchased slightly used.
The EZ tug wasn't really rated for the tongue weight, and the tire was undersized, but worked with a little "manual assist", and a friend sitting on the bed in the rear to take a little weight off the tongue. (Yes, she's a really good friend...) The small tire on the EZ tug tended to go a little flat by the time we got the trailer to its spot.
The parkit 360 is new to us... we've only used it twice. First time was after two solid weeks of rain, over soggy grass, and it was tough. We got the trailer back to its spot by the garage by laying down a series of plywood scraps to roll the tongue over. The bigger wheels dug into the soggy soil. Second time in dry weather was much easier, but it was downhill, taking the trailer out of its spot.
All those "happy video" you tubes out there make it look a lot easier than it really is with inclines and less than smooth terrain. It can, however, be done. And the power assist of either of the power dollies is much easier than recruiting four or five friends to help push the trailer back. Paul and I can do it alone with the parkit 360, and some plywood scraps.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Part of the solution to your problem depends on the surface and grade. It's a hard surface (concrete asphalt) and level you might try a human powered dolly first.
Most powered dollies I've looked at are pretty expensive.
Byron, the surface is concrete but there is a slight grate in both the alley and the entrance lip of my pad so I'm pretty sure "human powered" for this ole man would be out of the question. Sure would hate to have one of my neighbors suddenly have a mother-in-law house.
2012 4Runner Ltd
Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Byron, the surface is concrete but there is a slight grate in both the alley and the entrance lip of my pad so I'm pretty sure "human powered" for this ole man would be out of the question. Sure would hate to have one of my neighbors suddenly have a mother-in-law house.
That size of a trailer I'm not sure I could move it around much either. But with a 20' wide target you should be able to get through that with out a lot of trouble. The first few times might be a bit difficult, but soon it should be pretty easy. I was putting mine under a 20' wide car port from a 12' drive way at a 90° angle. It took a few tries the first few times, then I got the hang of it. That was backing it in of course.

I have to qualify that with my trailer is only 13', the carport was 20'x20'.
I think I'd try to recruit a neighbor to watch the first few times.

Hint, stay pretty close to the side of the gate you can see through your mirror. When backing always use your mirrors.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Maybe a Trailer Valet?

Here is the logical end of #4 post:

Trailer Dolly, Trailer Mover, Tow Dollies | Trailer Valet

It will support up to 500# and climb a 30° grade, according to the ad. $300

I use a manual dolly, but always need one other person to go over the gravel area next to my garage. $60

600 lb. Heavy Duty Trailer Dolly
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Dolly.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A camera on the back of the trailer would help you a lot.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Trailer Valet $

Hello,
Looks like the Trailer Valet is available from Amazon.com or
etrailer.com for about $300 including shipping. I have
considered one myself to use when you find the 'last campsite' that seems impossible to maneuver into.
Larry H

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Here is the logical end of #4 post:

Trailer Dolly, Trailer Mover, Tow Dollies | Trailer Valet

It will support up to 500# and climb a 30° grade, according to the ad. $300

600 lb. Heavy Duty Trailer Dolly
Yeah, sure - - - - - when attached to a Peterbuilt lol
2012 4Runner Ltd
Old 11-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
A camera on the back of the trailer would help you a lot.
At first I thought about doing that, and may get a wireless one for campgrounds - - - but from the alley I need to make a 90 degree turn then a second 90 the other way to get to the storage pad.
2012 4Runner Ltd
Old 11-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Pat, we just came in from moving the trailer to its spot beside the garage with the Parkit 360. Though far easier than with the ez tug, it still required the two of us. But, we're traveling across wet (and slick) grass, slight incine, a 90 off the driveway, and a couple of acute turns to get it next to the garage, avoiding two trees and the garage eaves. Having six old pieces of plywood really helped under the tires. Otherwise, the trailer tires, and the tires of the Parkit 360 spun on the grass. Still and all, this was our fastest docking ever... less than 15 minutes.
The EZ Tug ran off the trailer battery. The Parkit 360 has its own.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape