Vehicle Law Reciprocity - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's a case in Washinigton where what was apparently commercially
legal in two states (Idaho and Minnesota) is not legal in WA, and it
even concerns building a bridge for the state in WA!

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Problem
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
well looks like that project will be on hold for awhile...!! thank goodness i dont have to drive over that bridge... bad enough just having to go to Tacoma every once in awhile.. which i try to avoid...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
well looks like that project will be on hold for awhile...!! thank goodness i dont have to drive over that bridge... bad enough just having to go to Tacoma every once in awhile.. which i try to avoid...
My understanding it is to hit the road in the morning (MON). It's gonna be on another trailer setup-- double-wide--- will take up two lanes of traffic on it's journey. Gonna have to watch the news tonite and figure out when it will go by and run the 20 miles out to George, WA and cheer it on it's slow crawl down I-90. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
K L!!! A mobile double wide!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler Honey
Ahhh.. the irony. The WA Dept of Transportation won't let the expansion joint travel the roads on the trailer....Isn't it the WA Dept of Transportation that is building the bridge in the first place? Why did they design an expansion joint that couldn't be transported? But you gotta love that TX trucker when he said "We'll do this any way we can. If it's impossible then it's real easy; y'all can build the bridge in Idaho." Is Idaho ready for a new tourist attraction? The Tacoma Narrows bridge in Idaho...Sorta like London bridge in Lake Havasu, Arizona.
I am glad they found a solution.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #6

Trailer:
And, going completely off topic while still discussing the same thing...... you might like to know that it is not possible to graduate as a chartered (=professional) engineer in my country without seeing the famous film of the previous Tacoma Narrows bridge (Galloping Gerty). Seeing it is intended to teach engineering students a little humility.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #7

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Engineering nothin'...

I remember watching that film in freshman Physics.

Most memorable moments:
The guy walking down the center line.

The dog.

We watched it while learning about harmonic vibrations (of course).

Mike

Quote:
And, going completely off topic while still discussing the same thing...... you might like to know that it is not possible to graduate as a chartered (=professional) engineer in my country without seeing the famous film of the previous Tacoma Narrows bridge (Galloping Gerty). Seeing it is intended to teach engineering students a little humility.

Andrew
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Yep... saw that on 8mm film loop... new technology for it's day!

For those who haven't seen it:

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
the nicknamed that bridge "Gallopin Girdie" i think after that event...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Thanks, Roger... here's the first link without the extra characters on the end which make it invalid:
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #11

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
the nicknamed that bridge "Gallopin Girdie" i think after that event...
If I remember correctly - the bridge was around for awhile before it finally failed. It had a habit of going into these harmonic waves - and gained the nickname because of that.

When watching that film, just remember: That's steel and concrete...

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Has it been more than 60 years without a bridge there?
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Has it been more than 60 years without a bridge there?
No, the original bridge was rebuilt and has been there for many years.

Did you ever wonder why someone happened to be on hand to film the demise of the original bridge? The guy who filmed it wasn't even on that day, but he knew when the wind got high enough, the bridge was going to go, and went to the Narrows that day and hung out until it happened.

I also heard any interesting story about the clean-up of the original bridge. A fellow was working on it when a 1 inch cable snapped, and drove itself through his head, emerging on the other side. The workers or rescuers cut the cable on both ends and rushed him to the hospital, where it was carefully removed. The only neurological loss the victim experienced was inability to remember the accident!

I don't know if either of these stories are true.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #14

The article says the part is to be used to complete a second span, which I assume means a parallel bridge to complement the original, splitting traffic flow and doubling capacity. The Google Maps satellite view of the Tacoma Narrows shows only the old bridge, so I guess the satellite photo was taken before the current construction.

By the way, this is one of the most finely detailed photo sections I have seen in Google Maps, and the perspective looks like an aerial, not satellite, image. Google adds detail at points of common interest, and I guess the Tacoma Narrows Bridge is one of those.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
No, its a satelite photo! Great detail huh!
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #16

Trailer: Eco 12 ft
I saw that trailer there outside Spokane on ym trip to the PNW last week.

WOW. Even for a guy who's used to seeing big things on wheels, just WOW.

Matt
Matt O'Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #17

The detail on the photo is great, but the perspective is well south of the northwest tower of the bridge, and at the same time well west of the southeast tower. This is either the result of blending adjacent satellite photos taken from significantly oblique angles, or multiple aerial photos, or a single aerial photo from a relatively low altitude, southwest of the bridge. My guess is that the most detailed section is not satellite. Google says
Quote:
Similarly, the imagery found in "Satellite" mode is sourced predominantly from DigitalGlobe and MDA Federal.
and Google certainly uses EarthSat images from MDA, but MDA sells both satellite and aerial products. I notice that Google put "satellite" in quotes...

In the end it doesn't matter, and it may well be all-satellite, but the perspective of the photos causes some interesting effects in the images, such as those "leaning" bridge towers and blank areas beside some structures.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #18

Trailer:
Aerial map fetishists may like to see this: Flash Earth It allows you to toggle between several different aerial photo/map sources which can often solve those annoying problems. It's only a beta, I think, but works well, though its search functions are very limited.

In the case of the Tacoma Narrows bridge, Yahoo maps and Ask.com show the piers of the second span under construction, which Google and Microsoft don't.

On resolution: in the latest Google image of my house, the washing line across my back yard is clearly visible - it may be white, but it's only 5mm (oops, sorry, 3/16") in diameter!

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote