Vented Propane Cat Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 04:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Vented Propane Cat Heater

Been a lot of discusions on the Pro's & Cons of un-vented heaters on here.
Everyone has worries and or oppinions.
I have chimed in with mine.
Has anyone used this product.
Welcome Page

I was going to get one years ago when my furnace first started to act up but never did.
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Been a lot of discusions on the Pro's & Cons of un-vented heaters on here.
Everyone has worries and or oppinions.
I have chimed in with mine.
Has anyone used this product.
Welcome Page
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-31008.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-46504.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-35952.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-40104.html

etc.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I wrote to that company a few years back and asked for particulars, but I don't recall all the details. You need a certain amount of clearance; whatever the heater faces will get the hottest. Having it mounted at one end of a trailer and pointing down the aisle would be ideal, but that's hard to do in most eggs.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Vented Cat heater

Gerry I have one of those in my 13 ft Trillium and I'm really pleased with it . I'm out of Vancouver B.C. and it's great for 3 season camping out here
Klaas
KLaas Focker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

As said I did not get one and did get an other furnace to put in but tell me, does this solve the issue where people would be concerned with CO poisoning?
I imagine the issue of oxygen depleation is still something to consider.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Vented Cat Heater

Gerry I'm always worried about Co2 even cooking in these little glass eggs I bleive is an isue , so I always have my roof vent cracked open a 1/2 inch . That said I think my cat heater is as safe as you can find for a cat heater .
Klaas
KLaas Focker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Be sure not to confuse CO2 (carbon dioxide) with CO (carbon monoxide). Seems to be happening in several threads lately.

CO2 is a byproduct of human respiration as well as combustion and occurs naturally in the atmosphere. It is only dangerous in high concentrations as it displaces the oxygen. As you say, keeping a window or vent open slightly is enough to keep it from building up excessively when cooking or even sleeping (especially with four of us in such a tiny space).

CO is a highly toxic byproduct of combustion sometimes formed in small quantities along with the normal CO2 and H2O. Since it can be fatal in low concentrations before you are even aware of its presence, a working carbon monoxide detector is a critical safety device, both in the trailer and at home.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Quite right Jon, and I agree with you on the fact that all campers should have the proper, working, up to date detectors.
I started this thread mostly because there were several other threads out there that did not mention there were Vented heaters for those who did not want to run there furnace or didn't have one.
As for cooking in my Boler1300 we always open the jealous window over the stove in the hood vent to allow CO to escape even while camping with temps in the teens.
Never had my CO detector go off but did have the smoke alarm go off once after I tried to spray a bit of DW40 onto furnace fan to lube it...oooppps.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I never have understood why they stoped making gravity heaters where they pull in freash air from the outside and vent the gasses back outside and no fan. I had one in a truck slide in camper and it worked great. The Cat heater where it vents the gasses outside seams to be similar. I red the description on their web site and it stated it got the freash air from the outside also. Would like to see a diagram how it is imstalled with the air in gas out setup.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The reason I've heard mentioned in old threads on the subject is high surface temperatures on portions of the exposed grate.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I never have understood why they stoped making gravity heaters where they pull in freash air from the outside and vent the gasses back outside and no fan. I had one in a truck slide in camper and it worked great. The Cat heater where it vents the gasses outside seams to be similar. I red the description on their web site and it stated it got the freash air from the outside also. Would like to see a diagram how it is imstalled with the air in gas out setup.
I have installed vented heaters in houses (not this one) and the exhaust from the heater uses a 2 pipe system with the exhaust going out in a smaller pipe inside a larger pipe.
This preheats the air going in.
The specs said it only took a 1-1/2 exhaust so maybe this is the case.
As far as the grate getting hot....back into my wall furnace after it's been running for 15 minutes and it's gonna spring you like a flea on a fry pan too.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
A vented Cat heater should be just as safe as a conventional RV furnace. CO and CO2 would be vented outside. CO2 buildup from breathing would be a separate issue... unchanged between the two heaters (or with no heater at all).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Don't forget there is also the option of the direct vent propane heaters that are sold for use in boats. They exhaust the fumes and they use outside air for combustion. They are designed to work in a fiberglass hull
Dickinson Marine 00-NEW-P9000 | Fisheries Supply
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane