Viewing the tow vehicle from inside the Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #1

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Viewing the tow vehicle from inside the Egg

I love my Egg. I do wish, though, that there was (even) a tiny window in the end (the bath/shower) to enable me to see my vehicle when we are stopped and I am in the Egg. . .

Has anyone solved this? I won't cut into the wall. -- I was wondering if anyone knows of a digital solution?

Thanks in advance for any response. . .
in the Abel Egg, 2011 EggCamper #101
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Sure. Those back up cameras are available in wired or wireless. Mount camera on front of egg or hitch. Place monitor in egg, but perhaps not in the shower.

I think there have been threads here on wireless cameras. Good luck.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Sure. Those back up cameras are available in wired or wireless. Mount camera on front of egg or hitch. Place monitor in egg, but perhaps not in the shower.

I think there have been threads here on wireless cameras. Good luck.

Thank you so much!
in the Abel Egg, 2011 EggCamper #101
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
As an aside, front wall windows are rare for a reason: the front of the trailer is subject to getting flying rocks. When there is a window, it usually requires a heavy cover. There are lots of camera solutions.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #5

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Consider putting a door viewer with a wide angle view in the wall in front. I have done this in a Casita of mine and have seen this mod on a few others. They put them in their front doors also. Requires a small hole less than an inch in diameter.

Richard
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Also front windows have a tendency to leak.

But if you are going to have a camera facing the front, you may want to also consider having one that is above the door looking down. That way you can see who is knocking on your door late at night.

Both would have to be hard wired. I have a Swifthitch camera, which is portable but the charge only lasts a few hours of continuous use. The camera has to be on all the time, whereas the monitor can be used intermittently. At least I think I am right about that.

But if you hardwired the camera(s) it would last all night. ,
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
At WalMart I saw a review camera/monitor kit.
It looked like the camera was designed to mount to the rear license bracket.
In fact, just looking at their website, they have a variety of cameras with a range of prices.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Get a convex spot mirror, like big trucks use, about 6" diameter, figure out how to make a quick way to attach it outside the side window. One of those squeeze type woodworking clamps on the belly band and a universal mirror bracket would work.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Name: Liz and John
Trailer: casita
Texas
I use one of those iBall trailer hitch cameras with the wireless monitor. It didn't cost too much ($50?) and works pretty well as long as there's some sort of light where you're parked. For more money you can buy a night vision setup, but I also use my iBall to hook up the trailer, so win-win.

The camera has a magnetic base, so I just set it on top of an old steel cake pan and set the pan/camera over the top of the black water vent (mine's a Casita) so it won't blow off overnight and take it down and put it away in the morning.

The camera has a rechargeable battery and the monitor has a cigarette lighter plug-in.

I like Mary and Bob's mirror idea, too. I'm gonna try that. Plus dblcola's door viewer idea might work really well and be super-stealth at the same time. Does anyone know how thick the front wall of a Casita might be?

Johnny
montliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #10

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Scamp has a small window for the front bath. You have to open it to see through it because it is not transparent.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
They discontinued that front window a year or two ago. I have the same window over the galley in mine, and you can't see much of anything out of it besides a strip of ground. It doesn't open very wide.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #12

Name: Liz and John
Trailer: casita
Texas
Mary and Bob Rule!

I went out to the garage and went through (one of) my motorcycle parts junkpiles and found a pair of universal MC mirrors with 12" stems.(I think these were made by EMGO, but lots of other companies sell them as well). They come with a C-clamp for the handlebars which also serves to keep the mirror stem from moving when you tighten the bolt.

Anyway I assembled them as if they were going on a handlebar, tightened them up so the mirrors stayed in position in the C-clamps, and then clamped the C-clamps with the mirrors in place to the belly band of the Casita by the rear windows, using those black and red plastic Harbor Freight spring-loaded clamps.

They work great! What a cool fix! my cost: .00

Thanks, Mary and Bob

Johnny
montliz is offline   Reply With Quote