Vintage Travel Trailer insurance? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2021, 09:43 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Vintage Travel Trailer insurance?

I was just looking over the Hagerty insurance website (I have three vintage cars insured with them) and noticed that they are now offering insurance for vintage travel trailers over 25 years old. Obviously they want pictures to verify the condition but if the rates I pay for my classic cars is any indication it will be a very good deal. I plan on calling them tomorrow during business hours to see what they offer but the past experiences my friends and I have gad with Hagerty have been very positive and I will probably get a much better rate than my current State Farm policy. Hagerty's support is top notch in my experiences. My Eriba Puck is 26 years old and is fully restored and updated so I'm sure it qualifies. I just installed a new Alko axle last month so it is completely done and ready for the Fall camping season.
Attached Thumbnails
TRAILER1.jpg   eribanew axle.jpg  

Solo2.jpg  
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #2

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
I was just looking over the Hagerty insurance website (I have three vintage cars insured with them) and noticed that they are now offering insurance for vintage travel trailers over 25 years old. Obviously they want pictures to verify the condition but if the rates I pay for my classic cars is any indication it will be a very good deal. I plan on calling them tomorrow during business hours to see what they offer but the past experiences my friends and I have gad with Hagerty have been very positive and I will probably get a much better rate than my current State Farm policy. Hagerty's support is top notch in my experiences. My Eriba Puck is 26 years old and is fully restored and updated so I'm sure it qualifies. I just installed a new Alko axle last month so it is completely done and ready for the Fall camping season.
State Farm is very expensive. We left them long ago. We have a classic car and need to check with Hagerty. Thanks for the idea.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #3

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
State Farm is very expensive. We left them long ago. We have a classic car and need to check with Hagerty. Thanks for the idea.
We have classic car insurance, regular trailer insurance, Agreed value insurance for $30K on a 1957 Avion R20 trailer, lake home insurance and other motor vehicle insurance with State Farm. On all these items above State Farm was cheaper than any other carrier.

I shop my complete insurance coverages each and every year to stay competitive with the best rates versus coverage. Yes I have other insurance carriers for our primary residence, commercial properties and business's where State Farm is not competitive. I am not captive to any insurance carrier.

My Agreed $30K insurance coverage for our 1957 Avion R20 (The second oldest Avion trailer known to exist) is a little over $300/year. That's a BARGAIN in my book that no other insurance carrier could come close to much less match!

Please share with us your experience and reason for your blanket statement of State Farm being TOO EXPENSIVE!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
We have classic car insurance, regular trailer insurance, Agreed value insurance for $30K on a 1957 Avion R20 trailer, lake home insurance and other motor vehicle insurance with State Farm. On all these items above State Farm was cheaper than any other carrier.

I shop my complete insurance coverages each and every year to stay competitive with the best rates versus coverage. Yes I have other insurance carriers for our primary residence, commercial properties and business's where State Farm is not competitive. I am not captive to any insurance carrier.

My Agreed $30K insurance coverage for our 1957 Avion R20 (The second oldest Avion trailer known to exist) is a little over $300/year. That's a BARGAIN in my book that no other insurance carrier could come close to much less match!

Please share with us your experience and reason for your blanket statement of State Farm being TOO EXPENSIVE!
It's been a long time on the house but it was about double of Allstate at that time. We've called and checked prices on our current house just a month ago and it was 20% or more than we got it for from Good Sam's company.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Vintage trailer insurance

We have vintage trailer insurance with Co-Operators on our 44 year old boler.
Was affordable.
They put trailer value at a what we thought was a reasonable amount but representative said it should be higher for the age and condition of the trailer and would like another appraisal.
We can get original colour match at $280 a gallon pre waxed set for sprayon and found a place that will do the work. We do the taping.
Going to re-gelcoat it and it is still being improved. Want to finish little repairs and do the entire gelcoat first then the appraisal. Every year we do some improvements.
Insurance covers repairs and/or replacement plus other things.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler
I talked to a Hagerty agent and they are still setting up the trailer insurance in various states around the country - apparently Georgia will take a couple of months to implement this new product but he gave me an idea of what the coverage would cost and it was significantly less expensive. I have a several vintage autos insured with Hagerty and lots of friends with old cars as well and all of us have had nothing but good experiences with the company. They offer stated value insurance and they are constantly researching market prices to make sure you have sufficient coverage in case of a total loss. I'll be switching when I can get the opportunity. My State Farm policy isn't very expensive but I've been a loyal, careful policy holder for almost 54 years so they do treat me pretty well. Its just that Hagerty offers outstanding service and very competitive rates.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1970 Eriba Puck
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
I talked to a Hagerty agent and they are still setting up the trailer insurance in various states around the country - apparently Georgia will take a couple of months to implement this new product but he gave me an idea of what the coverage would cost and it was significantly less expensive. I have a several vintage autos insured with Hagerty and lots of friends with old cars as well and all of us have had nothing but good experiences with the company. They offer stated value insurance and they are constantly researching market prices to make sure you have sufficient coverage in case of a total loss. I'll be switching when I can get the opportunity. My State Farm policy isn't very expensive but I've been a loyal, careful policy holder for almost 54 years so they do treat me pretty well. Its just that Hagerty offers outstanding service and very competitive rates.
Jack -

You & others on here should check at Vintage Camper Trailer Magazine's website for the Vintage Trailer Insurer, as well as for James Polk for an appraisal to get the proper Agreed Value.

https://www.vintagecampertrailers.co...ppraisals.html

We have the same problem with getting Hagerty's trailer insurance here in CA (maybe never due to our tougher insurer requirements), although they do insure classic cars here for a long time.

Jack - I think that I recognize your Puck + Rover at the red barn photo from TheSamba's Puck Topic.

FYI - we have the 1970 Puck that "Amishman" on there started with, & bought it from Greg R in Tustin in Oct 2018:

At 2019 Pismo Vintage Rally:

FYI for #2 oldest 1957 R20 Avion owner VintgeRacer Mike - we also have the #2 built 1960 Avion T20 Tourist 4 sleeper (1961 MY - prior 20'-ers were your R20 & the 2 sleeper S20) over on the Airstream Forums as a "Vintage Kin" & the Puck as a "half-aluminum kin". I think I've seen you posting on there too.

We're currently with AAA for their version of "agreed value" - which is more of a stop-loss-cap for them, & we'd probably have to fight with appraisals to get up to those levels from ACV from what I've heard. I have the Avion at $20,000 AV, & Puck at $8,000 AV - but those were 2012 & 2018 values - so I'll need to get up-to-date appraisals from Jim Polk whenever I get any free time to clean them up after our home renovation/resto is done.

Bundling the Home, Auto, Umbrella, etc. insurance is usually a good deal due to discounts, but not all folks all items are eligible - plus often the broader range insurers are more expensive &/or don't offer true agreed value (or severely limit use) in the case of classic cars & vintage trailers for Agreed Value Insurance.

We've been with State Farm since the late 1980's for the house, & AAA for cars since the early `80's (plus 1974-78 until they stopped covering sports cars & I only had my `73 914). Both have been reasonable rates & coverages for the most part, but I can't shop around to bundle home insurance until the home resto is done.

But I do check SF vs. AAA for the cars (& lately trailers) every so often, but AAA has always been better pricing. However, they've not been cooperative about adjusting our far lower miles 2020-21 during COVID - so we may switch.

Have a great Labor Day weekend, for those in the States.
Cheers!
Tom
///////
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin