Visited Parkliner and Lil Snoozy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Visited Parkliner and Lil Snoozy

Tom at Parkliner was really great about getting us directions to come see his top-of-line demonstration model. I liked it a LOT. Now remember, I'm an ultralightweighter- both in backpacking and canoe camping. When I took my Boy Scout to the Northern Tier High Adventure Canoe Bases (4 times!) our personal gear was limited to what we could stuff in a 5 gallon bucket- including sleeping bag and air mattress. I ALWAYS had space for 4-5 books, too. The parkliner was nice. The outside was engineered to produce smooth airflow and offer little wind resistance. The amount of storage was amazing. I would probably opt to keep the bed made up (it'sa 4 person dinette when not being a bed) and just go with the side dinette. Pricing was reasonable.
Cons: I DON'T like propane, and would have to purchase electric fridges/freezers, cooktops, etc for modifications. Not much space for bulky items. Not big enough for us and the cats. Also might have been too small for the husband. No overnight guests in the egg unless they were agreeable to co-sleep with us in the queen bed (don't laugh- one of my Boy Scout camping trips had the youth in 2 Adirondack (3 sided with a roof) shelters, and 11 adults sleeping in an Adirondack rated for 6! When one turned over, we ALL turned over >
We saw that on Good Friday, and on Easter Monday stopped off at the LIL SNOOZY factory. We had warned them we had cats travelling with us and they were quite all right with us bringing them into the factory while we looked about. Somehow it appears much bigger than the Parkliner. Already all electric. Less storage space in the living area BUT a generous basement under the dedicated bed with 1 access standard on shotgun side and the option to get a second access driver side. It's also aerodynamically designed. With the basement doors under the bed propped open and the large cat litter box slid in, it would be very doable with our 3 cats. Even if we needed to stick a little bit of bulky stuff in there. And the couch folds down into a narrow bed- as long as you were under 5 ft 6 inches, you'de probably be able to sleep on it.
Cons: Higher base price. Except for the basement, little storage space. Magic Chef refrigerator.
I am definitely leaning toward the Snoozy. The husband and I had a discussion over the two trailers as we were driving back to Florida, and his comment went something like this..."Yes, I think the snoozy is better for our circumstances if we decide in the future to get a camper. Maybe someday down the road when we have more time and money we could consider getting one".
I thought I was doing a very good job of communicating that I really wanted to use some of my windfall $$ to get a camping trailer. I would really prefer to not be an elderly invalid when and if that stage of my life rolls around. Three Labor Days ago, I finally talked hubby into trying a white water rafting trip when I was taking my son and his family white water rafting- and I was appalled by how out of shape I am (medical reasons) and had to portage around one of the best rapids- because I just couldn't pull my own weight, with the asthma and bad back. I rarely did a summer camp with my Boy Scouts without a rafting trip, and I had taken my son down that particular river 24 1/2 years ago. Seems like I am losing a lot in my life here- too much pain to sleep on the ground any more. lost the ability to garden with my back injury, travel is restricted unless my hubby is able to drive me, and he has to fit stuff around his part-time job, and he prefers cities to wilderness.
Oh well, time for me to hit the sack, maybe I will have dreams about the snoozy or the parkliner.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Mitzi, so glad that you had the opportunity to tour both trailers. When we were shopping for a larger replacement for our 13' Scamp (we were retiring and planned to stay on the road for months), these were the two trailers that I had narrowed down to via pictures. The Parkliner was my 1st choice, until I actually sat on that couch in the Lil Snoozy during a FGRV gathering in Quartzsite Az. I believe the Parkliner is 15' long, and the LS is 17.5' tongue tip to rear bumper, so you were correct that it felt larger. The factory was very accommodating to changes that I wanted, and I did many changes to make it "our own". With pricing of all fiberglass trailers rising each year, and health/age changing also, I'm glad we purchased and started using it right away. Best of luck with your decision.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:30 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Thanks for a first-person report of the "new" Parkliner. Glad they are doing something. The Snoozy does have a nice spacious layout and for a couple could be a really nice rig. A buddy of mine says: "life is short, drive a new truck". I came back from a week camping and our first Rally (Green Eggs) a couple of weeks back to the usual crap at work and it really fired me up to firm up plans to retire, sooner rather than later. Life on the road in the Scamp looks real good about now.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:56 AM   #4

Florida
David and Paula B thanks for the actual measurements. Parkliner has no actual floorplans on its site. Ostensibly hubby will be doing at least some trips with me (I don't believe it for a minute but he swears up and down...I always felt if he was serious he would have already spent some time camping with me. He says he's already done some travelling with me but I feel kamping kabins in the KOAs near Boston and Williamsburg don't count for MY bucket list since those were HIS bucket list items) The Snoozy is, I feel, the best option as long as we have cats, and since I will probably wind up a crazy cat lady in my old age.
Tim-I retired 6/2014 because I was no longer able to meet the requirements for my job - climb 3 flights of stairs, lift and carry 50 lbs 35 feet, push a wheelchair weighing 350 lbs 50 feet. I had actually not been able to meet those requirements for years- had to recognize I wasn't getting better and wasn't likely to get better.
Been trying to get Hubby with me to the Bay of Fundy since 2004. I haven't been to Canada since 1967 Montreal Expo. ( with a hiccup out for visiting the Canadian side of Niagara with grandkids in 2007 to get to the Brick World exhibit)
Hope I run into you good people somewhere down the road.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
All electric sounds good but many people who go all electric with the Eggcamper and the Lil Snoozy end up adding Propane.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
On the upside you can always get a 2 burner Coleman camp stove and cook outside.
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
propane....

you gotta admit... a widely available fuel that will keep your food and beverages cold, cook your food, heat your space if it gets cold outside and heat your water for a nice hot shower...all contained in a 14 foot "box" on wheels... and do this miles away from any other source of energy...is a beautiful thing...."wouldn't leave home without it"...personally
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We get along fine without installed propane in our LiL Snoozy. I do use a propane camp stove for cooking outside and a LIL Buddy heater where we do not have electricity. Someone doing a lot of boondocking would miss it more.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah, if you are only staying in campgrounds with power, or have a generator, or a good battery setup with solar, I would not go without propane. You need to evaluate the kind of places you would be wanting to stay in and if they offer electricity. I usually only camp once a year in a "regular" campground that offers electricity...mostly boondocking.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #10

Florida
Well, I do have butane and propane stoves from the backpacking years- as well as esbit pocket stoves and alcohol stoves...I feel a lot more secure with a SMALL canister of gas for emergencies, but after our fence was struck by lightning and it jumped to our next door neighbors propane tank, I feel a lot more secure if it's not all wired in to the camper. Had too many close calls-might- have been serious stuff over the years while supervising young men who are easily distracted, and since I am the one in charge of camp setup and cooking I would have no trouble with running the itty bitty Honda generator to power the cookstove if we're in a boondock situation. .Not sure just how well my husband will accommodate to a wandering lifestyle when he wants everything planned down to the minutest detail months ahead of time. I bought a solar generator (lol) in 2005 and need to contact Xantrex about authorized replacement of the batteries- they died a while back.
My main concern over refrigeration is the Magic Chef- I'll be posting a thread about that- we used to have a portable Coleman Stirling Cycle Refrigerator/Freezer that we used for several years as an auxiliary freezer at the house, but that too died in a severe thunderstorm with flooding outside Boston while we were off on a whalewatching tour and have not been able to find anyone willing to work on it.
Although I love the camping and the outdoors it is not my husband's favorite activity and so there isn't much assistance there besides washing the dishes after meals- the camping supplies and routes etc are all up to me, and I don't feel comfortable with propane as a vital part of the camper.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
We get along fine without installed propane in our LiL Snoozy. I do use a propane camp stove for cooking outside and a LIL Buddy heater where we do not have electricity. Someone doing a lot of boondocking would miss it more.

Charlsara
What are your experiences with the Magic Chef refrigerator?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #12

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Casita LD 17'
North Carolina
Mitzi, My husband dislikes camping also. I have been camping in my Casita for almost 2 years now. At first he was very worried about me traveling on my own but I love the rallies that are available through the fiberglass rv forums. I have been to about 15 and it is now how I plan my vacations. These rallies have given my great friendships and camaraderie in fun and fascinating places.
I bought my trailer with my money and make all my modifications with my funds. My husband is always invited to join but he prefers gardening and staying at home. Your trailer will have a good resale value if you decide that the camping lifestyle is not for you or your back becomes a big problem.
Leave hubby at home. Learn to do it all by yourself and GO! There are many solo women in FGRVs going it alone and loving it.
Look at the Casita Travel Trailer it might be of interest to you.
Also, Mitzi, you might want to go to a rally to look at different fiberglass trailers. In May there will be a rally in northern Georgia and there will be several brands to look at and ask your 100+ questions.

Ps...my dogs dont like camping either
Gourdamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #13

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Charlsara
What are your experiences with the Magic Chef refrigerator?

We had a high efficiently 12 volt Truckfridge installed. My wife is diabetic so we had to have refrigeration going down the road. You can order it from Truckfridge and the LiL Snoozy shop will install it for you. I traded them the Magic Chef for the install. The cabinet has to be altered a little and wiring ran. I don't know how long the battery will run the fridge but it does great between our overnight stops.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Charlie's right, Snoozy will install a different fridge (if it fits). The more efficient compressors used in the Truckfridge, Engel, NovaKool, ARB, etc will hold the temp well and will use less battery power while doing it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:10 PM   #15

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
I was just contemplating the removal of my propane 2- burner cooktop in my "new" 1999 Casita 16, when I saw this thread. I cant find a microwave to fit the only cabinet it could go into. There is nothing else propane in the camper (no heater and just an icebox.) I am a bit scared of the flames inside as I will travel often with my young nieces. But mostly, would like to redeem the space and install the micro where the stove is. I will rarely boondock, if ever.

Where have y'all put your microwaves? Do any of u use a microwave that is also a toaster oven?
Old 03-31-2016, 12:06 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have to ask why microwaves don't scare you?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #17

North Carolina
Registry
Visited Parkliner and Lil Snoozy

Our microwave is installed under the counter by L Snoozy. We bought a small 2 bread toaster
oven that stores under the dinette.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-31-2016, 09:44 AM   #18

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Mitzi....

My wife and I RV'd for 42 years....and loved it. But all of us come with expiration dates, and she passed away 2 years ago, at age 72. It hadn't been enough time to do and see all we hoped for. For me, the Casita's still fun....but much less so.

If you are in a position to make a decision, a choice, and a purchase of an RV of your choice.....and have the time and opportunity to use it to enjoy our great land with those you care for.... I encourage you to do so. Postponement, you see, is necessarily a one-way street that eventually dead-ends.

Hope to see you down the road.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
I feel a lot more secure with a SMALL canister of gas for emergencies, but after our fence was struck by lightning and it jumped to our next door neighbors propane tank, I feel a lot more secure if it's not all wired in to the camper.
Is it electricity (lightning) you should be afraid of or propane?

Without looking I would guess more people die from electrical sources than die from propane sources.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #20

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
plus...

those little cannisters are notorious for having unreliable inner valves....used in boats the best prectice is once the cannister is connected to an external valve to use that from then on (break the connection from the delivery tube to the appliance...leave the external valve on till empty)

if one was really worried about propane one could always shut the supply at the tank(s) when not in use...too much trouble for me (that's why you have a gas detector) but could be done
Attached Thumbnails
kitchend.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy, parkliner