Wake up call - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Someone on here save my life a year ago with the statement that " the day you retire will be 5 years too late". I retired last year at 57 and I think if I hadn't I would probably be in a very bad way or dead. I had a heart attack 6 years ago with three stints put in. Stress at work was probably the "killer" for me. The wife said she wanted me around for a while so we looked at our finances and packed it in.

I still try to do all the stuff I used to but I try to take it easy and watch myself and have a loving wife who tells me to take it slow. I don't feel that old but "its not the age, its the mileage".
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:49 AM   #22

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I retired at 54 and that was 25 years ago. Best decision I ever made except for marrying my wife. Sadly, she died two years ago but life goes on. I've heard the expression several times that nobody on their death bed said "I wish I'd worked more." I always advise people to retire as early as they can make the finances work. None of us knows how much time we have left including the teenagers who think they'll live forever. Make the most you can of your life.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:12 AM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Retirement can be an opportunity, though not all recognize it as an opportunity. Many approach retirement with trepidation, a fear of not knowing what to do with themselves or each other if a couple.

Many people have worked for 40 years surrounded by fellow workers or managed a home, essentially in a singular domain. In any case it's a change. Among those who become successful full timers, I see a measure of child-like, summer vacation youthfulness. Not that they are running around like children, but they move around with the mentai freedom of youth seeking fun, living without schedule but still possibly with routine.

I find that new people who come into our Escapee park are first a little hesitant to slip into the ease of our park's life style, Lot's of little gatherings, coffees and parties, hesitant to join activities like line dancing, some never become part of the fabric, choosing not to become part of the activities of the park, not willing to join in.

Though we are doing the NL Caravan next year, we have not even previously even traveled with another couple in 15 years. However when we travel as a couple alone, the seeking of fun is the same, just the set of people is reduced. The pressure of life, the array of daily tasks is gone.. free at last to wonder and wander.

Most of our pre-retirement lives are restricted by job and family, taking up the vast majority of our time. This is not necessarily negative, but necessarily demanding.

Retirement is a chance to relax, to seek what pleases, to grow in new ways. I note some people have difficulty giving up the known for the less known. We had two of our grandchildren here one summer and they introduced us to The Giver, a children's book about a contained, controlled society where no one left the bounds or even questioned the bounds... and then there was one child... Our real boundary is time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
What a thought provoking thread! We both turn 62 next year and are planning to be retired by summer's end to hit the road in our yet-to-be-purchased trailer. Two brothers-in-law who retired early say it was their best decision. After losing two younger brothers to health issues and facing down cancer twice, it's not been a difficult decision. Thanks for all the insights.
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #25

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
She said I was crazy to get that short wheel base, two wheel recumbent bike. Now I have metal holding my leg bones and ankle together.
We ride trikes. Can't tip over! Last June I took our Casita to Kellogg, Idaho to ride with 120 other trike riders for a week. The average age of the riders is probably 65. Had a great time and stayed in many great campgrounds.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #26

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Retired last May at 66 after farming for 23 years and teaching for the past 19 years. Moved 300 miles to Lanesboro where there are many other retirees and the area is a triking paradise. The school needs a business teacher and I applied for a one year gig. Terry retires in three years, but sooner if I teach for a year.

I'm now rethinking my decision to teach for another year after reading this thread.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
"In life is important to realize that because you used to do 'some tasks' does not mean that when you get older you should still do them. I know because Ginny warns me all the time.

Be careful, listen to your other self... you are no longer young." --Norm

Ed is the best of friends, more importantly, universally a really nice guy. We went to visit him yesterday, a month after the accident. It was great to just see him, however it was also a great learning experience.

It was a strong very active guy, apparent simply by the fact he was 25 feet up in an oak tree with a bow saw cutting off an 8-10 inch diameter branch.

While there Ed got up to do a lap around his center island kitchen, his 6th of the day. I watched the effort getting up from his recliner to his walker. He accomplished it with effort. Fortunately he was strong before the accident.

I've watched some visitors having more difficulty than that getting out of a chair without the 13 broken bones Ed has. I can't imagine how they would ever get out of a recliner to perform the necessary physical therapy.

In my life I've had to lift a number of people who were down and couldn't get up, one from a sitting position.

It is important to keep your weight down and your strength up.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #28

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
That's why I drag my 70 year old butt out to the gym every morning for a hour long workout with 3 or 4 other old guys.

Which brings me to another issue. Insurance...I am of course on Medicare and have Blue Cross Blue Shield and they will cover all kinds of illness, but when it comes to covering preventative costs, it's a big no. Going to the gym every day is the best insurance for good health you can get, yet the Insurance Companies would rather wait till you are in ill health before they pay. Oh well, will still go, feel better doing it.
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote