Walmart Overnight Substitute - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
You should see the Walmarts in Calgary during the Stampede. Full of RV's. Many with their awnings extended and the slides extended.
I don't know what the "Stampede" is, but that brings up a point on the subject...
We use overnighting at WalMart while in transit only and not as a place to stay at our destination.
In fact, it seems that we see far fewer RVs at WalMarts in resort or "destination" areas than we do at the ones along the highway while in transit.
I could see that a weekend "event" (like our Corn Festival) could cause what you describe, along with the associated traffic congestion and overbooked accommodations.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm...I thought that everyone knew what the Calgary Stampede was about. Incredible fun, lots of rodeo and the famous chuck wagon races. I think I have gone 5 times, maybe only 4.... Put it on your bucket list.....

Staying at Wal-Mart is only supposed to be for a overnight stay and then leave. Because more and more RV'ers tried camping out for extended stays, more and more Wal-Marts in destination areas got posted for NOP. In all of SoCal there are almost no Wal Marts that allow OP and the few that do are mostly well inland.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Staying at Wal-Mart is only supposed to be for a overnight stay and then leave. Because more and more RV'ers tried camping out for extended stays, more and more Wal-Marts in destination areas got posted for NOP. In all of SoCal there are almost no Wal Marts that allow OP and the few that do are mostly well inland.
Same old saw, but it just doesn't seem to apply here in the states, where we haven't yet got a fully developed since of entitlement.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Errrr... SoCal is in the states, it's the states that want to be in SoCal.

BTW, as predicted, it finally cooled down from last months winter weather for spring. It's down to about 70 today.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Errrr... SoCal is in the states, it's the states that want to be in SoCal.

BTW, as predicted, it finally cooled down from last months winter weather for spring. It's down to about 70 today.
FINALLY!
I've said that, or something like that, at least a dozen times and you are the first to call me on it!
We in the states don't have much freedom left as it is.. We sure wouldn't want to sacrifice what little is left (or should I say right?) for a little sunshine and a bunch of vibrating mudslides!
I barely have room to talk though...I live in ILLannoy!(sic)...A veritable enclave of capitulation.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't know what the "Stampede" is, but that brings up a point on the subject...
We use overnighting at WalMart while in transit only and not as a place to stay at our destination.
In fact, it seems that we see far fewer RVs at WalMarts in resort or "destination" areas than we do at the ones along the highway while in transit.
I could see that a weekend "event" (like our Corn Festival) could cause what you describe, along with the associated traffic congestion and overbooked accommodations.
Floyd
You would like the Stampede!
Google the Chuck Wagon Race and see what I mean.

Aside from that it is one huge Rodeo and in a beautiful setting too.
It was in the 80's when I went and the locals were dying of the heat! I have also never seen mosquitos that huge anywhere else.

When I was there unfortunately there was a horrible chuck wagon race disaster and several people and horses were hurt bad and worse. Still it was one of the more amazing things I have ever watched live.

The gear is unbelievable too.

It is worth seeing at least once and the food and people are great too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Floyd
You would like the Stampede!
Google the Chuck Wagon Race and see what I mean.

Aside from that it is one huge Rodeo and in a beautiful setting too.
It was in the 80's when I went and the locals were dying of the heat! I have also never seen mosquitos that huge anywhere else.

When I was there unfortunately there was a horrible chuck wagon race disaster and several people and horses were hurt bad and worse. Still it was one of the more amazing things I have ever watched live.

The gear is unbelievable too.

It is worth seeing at least once and the food and people are great too.
I'll bet it's quite a spectacle... and in a beautiful place as well!