Want to see: Hunter Compact 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Want to see: Hunter Compact 2

Hey all!

As camping season is ramping up, I would like to make a small request. Since I am still interested in Hunter Compact 2's, but haven't seen one yet in person, I propose a trade. If any of you are passing through Utah, for your time, I'll do either a) fill up on fuel or b) lunch for your troubles. I just want to see if something that small will work out for someone as tall as me as well as a few other small things. Please spread the word. I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your time!

Cordially,
Patdeesky

Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Plenty of interior height with the top extended... and the bed is plenty long when sleeping front to back!
One really nice thing about this trailer is the pop up top which gives a 360į view and excellent cross ventilation while still giving complete privacy with the lower window curtains closed.
You really hardly need a fan with the roof up.

Draw backs include the rear entry. Since the trailer is rear entry and light in front, it is IMPERATIVE to have the stabilizers down or have the trailer firmly attached to the TV before attempting entry.
The door is also by necessity very short.
A/C is a lot less effective than in most fiberglass trailers due in large part to the pop up.
This trailer is very light in front and and tends toward sway, but when balanced with enough tongue weight it is a very easy, stable , and comfortable trailer to tow with a minimal TV.
Hunter trailers have a few variations in body style and length of pop up.
There are other brands which are virtually indistinguishable from the Hunter. Surprisingly, there seems to be negligible difference in function or size for the Compact "Jr".
If you like the style and the rear entry design idea, you will love this trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
August 2009 002.jpg   August 2009 010.jpg  

August 2009 009.jpg   DSCF0062.JPG  

Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Floyd, I thought it was only the Hunter Compact Jr. that sleeps front-to-back, while the Compact 1 & 2 sleep side-to-side. No?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Compact
California
I recently bought a modified Compact II and plan to tow it to Missouri and back to California in July. See below for summary of modifications.

I'm 6-2 and sleeping is just fine for two large people.

The door is fine too although you must be careful. I wish there was a handle to help me pull myself up and in. I may install something.

The pop-up is not perfect, at least in my unit, but I'll learn to be more careful. My head found the clips at both the rear (raising head near cooktop) and front (raising head near bed). I stopped cursing within minutes. Standing is fine, as long as you're in the zone.

We like our camper and had a great time on our first trip.

It's been outfitted with a great awning over the door by Shady Boy. Very easy to set up and take down. 10 feet wide by 6 feet deep. Use of poles optional for windy conditions. We didn't use them. Guy lines were fine in light breeze.

Our camper had several changes made by the restorer including new windows, door and hatches for exterior access to water tank and batteries that were not present on the original. He extended the tongue by a foot and replaced the entire frame with much heavier steel tubing and a 2500 lb. axle. I was surprised to find that the dry weight of the trailer is now 2500 lbs! In this regard, our Compact II is not comparable with a normal one. I like the higher ground clearance and look forward to taking it on unpaved roads.

The light front problem persists in our trailer. Even with the inverter in place on the tongue and water tank and Road Shower filled, I'm concerned that tongue weight is less than it should be. Thanking about solutions.

You may have purchased a camper long before July but, if not, we might be able to stop by and let you have a look at our unique Compact II.
John Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #5

Name: Darrel
Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
Nevada
What part of Utah are you located?
Darrel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #6

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Floyd, I thought it was only the Hunter Compact Jr. that sleeps front-to-back, while the Compact 1 & 2 sleep side-to-side. No?
You could be right? Not sure about all of them. The first picture above is a "Compact Jr" the second trailer was simply titled "Hunter" although I think it might actually be a "1" or a "2"( certainly not a "Jr")... The third trailer is a "Trails West"(not built by Hunter) All these slept front to back.
I owned these three and a couple others for which I have no pictures.
One of those with no picture was converted to a cargo trailer (and a pathetic one at that).
The blue one could be slept in laterally if you weren't too tall although it was plenty long for front to back.
Others may chime in, maybe even with pictures?
I haven't seen a Hunter with a strictly lateral bed, but I am often surprised, especially on something this rare.
On the home page, there is a red one like my blue one.
It is labeled as a Compact Hunter I
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Smith View Post
What part of Utah are you located?
I'm in Salt Lake City, but traveling an hour or so isn't troublesome for me.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #8

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandtonic View Post
I recently bought a modified Compact II and plan to tow it to Missouri and back to California in July....
You may have purchased a camper long before July but, if not, we might be able to stop by and let you have a look at our unique Compact II.
I'd greatly appreciate that if someone doesn't come through before then. I'll stay in contact.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lite House
Minnesota
Registry
There is also the Lite House. It is not a pop-up, but is quite small and has the front-to-back bed configuration. There is one for sale right now in Durango that might be in striking distance from Utah.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:51 AM   #10

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
There is also the Lite House. It is not a pop-up, but is quite small and has the front-to-back bed configuration. There is one for sale right now in Durango that might be in striking distance from Utah.
Been trying to find said trailer for a couple of days now. Where did you see it?