Warning about towing in Sequoia National Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #1

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Warning about towing in Sequoia National Park

Warning about Sequoia National Park! They are doing construction on the main road up from the south entrance, delaying traffic for up to an hour. We saw a fellow Casita owner in the queue and he told us they weren't letting him through the construction zone towing his rig. They were going to make him back down around a curve and turn around. This restriction is posted on the Sequoia NP website, but if it's posted on the road, we didn't see it. Yes, there are several roads that don't allow rigs over 22', but this is on the main road in before you ever see any Sequoias.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Good heads up! Thanks.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Sequoia South Entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
Warning about Sequoia National Park! They are doing construction on the main road up from the south entrance, delaying traffic for up to an hour. We saw a fellow Casita owner in the queue and he told us they weren't letting him through the construction zone towing his rig. They were going to make him back down around a curve and turn around. This restriction is posted on the Sequoia NP website, but if it's posted on the road, we didn't see it. Yes, there are several roads that don't allow rigs over 22', but this is on the main road in before you ever see any Sequoias.

Thanks for the tip,I hope it helps someone avoid the area. The S. Entrance is one of my favorite roads. . . .on my motorcycle ! But I have driven it both up and down with a VW camper, a Toyota Chinook MH, and a bigger motorhome. But I would not plan to go UP the S Entrance with a trailer, although it is done.. . . with no construction. It has many steep grades with switchbacks in between. But Hwy 198 starts in Visalia : if you go 40-50 miles north to Fresno the road into Kings Canyon / Sequoia (180) is wide and gradual. You can drive all the way to Morro Rock which is worth visiting and the beginning of the S Exit.

And you don't have to go all the way N. from Visalia to Fresno to hit 180. Anywhere around Kingsburg or Selma you can take nice country roads straight North to Reedley, which is near where 180 heads up to the Parks. Kings Canyon / Sequoia are administered as one park, and offer spectacular scenery, even waterfalls. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #4

Name: William
Trailer: 13' Perris Pacer
California
Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park has been evacuated due to smoke from nearby forest fires.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...oon_Newsletter
mchalewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #5

Yosemite

Yes, we can see the smoke here in Sonora. Sonora is the N. entrance to Yosemite. the fire is near Mariposa , on Hwy 140, the W. Entrance.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #6

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Kings Canyon / Sequoia are administered as one park, and offer spectacular scenery, even waterfalls. David in Fresno and Sonora

Thanks for the drive down Memory Lane, David. I was a resident of Sonora for 15 years before defecting to Oregon in 1985! I loved my time there, and it was a great place to raise my son.

He and I tent-camped at Sequoia and Kings Canyon more times than I can recall; it was one of our favorite places. He turned 50 this year and still talks about those camping trips.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
geez, 22'. ... my F250 pickup is 21' by itself bumper to bumper.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #8

Oregon Coast
Smoke from fires

I'm on the southern Oregon Coast, and we've had a few bad days, but not close to what other areas are experiencing. Our ever-present winds have definitely helped to keep the air clear on most days.

Along the I-5 corridor, a 3 hr. drive inland from here, the Medford-Ashland area folks are being advised to NOT go outdoors or if they must, to wear an M-95(?) face mask. And the temps are ranging from abnormally high 90s to mid-100s inland, with nary a rain cloud in sight.

AND, as of yesterday, Hwy 299, which runs between Hwy 101 in Arcata, CA & I-5 in Redding, CA is closed due to a large fire caused by a traffic accident. No containment as of this morning.

There are so many fires burning, it's hard to keep track. Be careful out there!
Old 07-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
NorCal/Oregon smoke as of this morning...
https://go.nasa.gov/2JY2DgI

the red dots are infrared fire detections from space.

eeeek!

glad we got home when we did... if you run the timeline back to Monday or Tuesday, it wasn't half as bad as it is now.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
Along the I-5 corridor, a 3 hr. drive inland from here, the Medford-Ashland area folks are being advised to NOT go outdoors or if they must, to wear an M-95(?) face mask.
N-95.

If you are interested, the N stands for "Not resistant to oil", and it filters at least 95 percent of very small (0.3 micron) particles.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #11

Oregon Coast
Thanks! I'm smarter now than I was 5 minutes ago.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #12

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
geez, 22'. ... my F250 pickup is 21' by itself bumper to bumper.

My class B RV is 20' :-)
Old 07-26-2018, 06:31 PM   #13

Kings Canyon / Sequoia

A last comment : Sequoia and Kings Canyon are favored by some, over Yosemite. The granite cliffs are as high, Kings Canyon has the Kings River, and camping is good. Many more Sequoias scattered throughout the parks. Not so many waterfalls, or PEOPLE ! David in Fresno and Sonora
Old 07-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #14

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
NorCal/Oregon smoke as of this morning...
https://go.nasa.gov/2JY2DgI

the red dots are infrared fire detections from space.

eeeek!

glad we got home when we did... if you run the timeline back to Monday or Tuesday, it wasn't half as bad as it is now.
John,
Thanks again for the telescope view of Jupiter!
We went to Lava Beds Nat Monument in NE CA on the way home from Bullards Beach and most of the drive was very smoky. All three of us were coughing (including Gogo) after a night at Lava Beds, but it is a great place to check out lava tubes.

Even here in N nevada it's a bit smoky.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #15

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalewj View Post
Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park has been evacuated due to smoke from nearby forest fires.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...oon_Newsletter

We had reservations at Half Dome Village (formerly Curry village) for Wednesday and they cancelled our reservation because of the park closure. We ended up getting a place in Mammoth Lakes on the east side of the Sierras. We've had some smoke, but generally it's been lovely. We went into Yosemite from Lee Vining yesterday and got a hazy view of Half Dome from Olmstead Point on Tioga Rd. We turned around there since they aren't letting you get anywhere near the valley floor. Tuolumne Meadows was fairly empty and the employees were happy...and entrance to the east side of the park was free!

On a side note, I called Half Dome Village last Thursday to see about cancelling because of the smoke and they said they were holding firm to their 7 day cancellation policy and would charge us for the first night if we cancelled. So we kept the reservation. They did refund our money because THEY had to cancel, but they seemed to have no regard for the health and well being of their guests until they were forced to do so. The employees at the park said that the concession company had "tremendous pressure" to close because the park didn't want to put their guests in harms way.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote