Warning Driving in El Paso, TX - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Smile

Fort Hood soldier arrested in Mexico with several weapons in car

10:14 PM CDT on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Associated Press

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico – A teary-eyed American soldier accused of illegally driving guns and ammunition into Mexico said Tuesday he was just looking for a place to park so he could walk into Mexico for breakfast after a long night of driving.

Instead, Army Spc. Richard R. Medina Torres steered his 1999 Honda Prelude off Interstate 10, over an international bridge, and into Mexico.

"It was just an accident, I didn't mean to drive over here," Torres said Tuesday afternoon standing in a hallway of the Mexican federal building where he has been jailed since Monday morning.

Torres, an Iraq war veteran who was heading to his mother's house in Fresno, Calif., said after driving all night from Fort Hood he planned to park his car at the border and walk into Juarez for breakfast. But he misunderstood directions from an El Paso gas station attendant, took the wrong exit, and wound up in Mexico.

"When I saw where I was, I started asking people at the front gate 'where can I turn around at?'," Torres said.

A Mexican border guard told him to make a U-turn several hundred feet past the border, Torres said. But within seconds of leaving the inspection station, Mexican federal authorities stopped his car.

Torres, who doesn't speak any Spanish, said they started asking if he had drugs or guns. He said he immediately told them he was traveling with an AR-15 assault rifle and a .45-caliber handgun.

After searching his car, Mexican authorities took Torres into custody, and began questioning him, he said. He has not yet been charged with any crime.

It is illegal to bring guns or ammunition and some types of knives into Mexico and weapons offenses can result in lengthy prison sentences. Torres also had 171 rounds of ammunition and three knives.

Roads leading to the border are dotted with clearly marked signs directing drivers to Mexico. Many of those signs include a picture with a revolver in a red circle with a line through it. Other markers are more direct, warning drivers that it is illegal to carry guns or ammunition into Mexico.

"Penalty-Prison," a sign posted above a road leading directly to the border says in bold, red letters.

Torres said he wasn't paying attention to the signs, instead focusing his attention on looking for a parking lot.

"I wasn't even aware I was driving into Mexico," until seeing the sign welcoming him to Mexico, Torres said. He was driving to California to drop off his car before deploying to Honduras for a year.

Mexican authorities said Tuesday that Torres stopped at the border to ask where he could park his car and was directed to make a U-turn to go back to the U.S. When he stopped again to ask federal authorities working nearby where to park, the agents started questioning him and were told about his weapons.

Torres said he was being treated well, though when he wasn't being questioned or speaking with U.S. Consulate officials he was being kept in a small, private cell with a bed, shower and toilet.

He said he's met with a lawyer and hopes to see a judge in the next few days.

Torres' mother, Gloria Medina, said she was told about her son's situation Tuesday morning by his commanding officer at Fort Hood. She spoke to her son about an hour later and now just hopes for his quick release.

"I'm worried ... I think about him quite often," Medina said. "I do have my faith and that's keeping me strong. I feel that he's going to come out of this ordeal fine, and I'm hoping that it will be soon."

Juarez has been gripped by violence in the last several months as dueling drug cartels have apparently been in a bloody battle for control of the hardscrabble border city.

In the last several weeks, Mexican federal agents and soldiers have been posted in the city in an attempt to quell the violence.

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
I don't want to start a big deal with this comment, but I'm really perplexed. What was he doing driving home with an assault rifle in his car, for gosh sake?

Art
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Assault rifle is one of those terms like semi-automatic pistol that get used too often. What he had was a semi-automatic (NOT full-automatic, like machine gun, but self-loading after each shot which each take a trigger pull) civilian version of the military M16 assault rifle. His real problem may be the pistol, because the Mexicans consider anything 30 caliber or over to be military (forbidden) weapons.

The reason they have the big red signs at those border crossings is because what happened to this guy has happened to a surprising number of people; driving across the border by accident with a firearm in the vehicle.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
The reason they have the big red signs at those border crossings is because [b]what happened to this guy has happened to a surprising number of people; driving across the border by accident with a firearm in the vehicle.
This happened a couple of years ago here in San Diego to a marine stationed at Camp Pendleton.
Congressman Duncan Hunter had to go negotiate his release.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Having lived in El Paso, this is a common problem. If the Mexican police find even so much as a bullet in the vehicle, it can mean 10 years in a Mexican prison. One of the prisons in Juarez just 200 yards from the El Paso USA border. I remembered a story of a guy that was pulled over and searched and is in the pen a Cerezo prison Juarez.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

Additional Info:
http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_9024994
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Having lived in El Paso, this is a common problem. If the Mexican police find even so much as a bullet in the vehicle, it can mean 10 years in a Mexican prison. One of the prisons in Juarez just 200 yards from the El Paso USA border. I remembered a story of a guy that was pulled over and searched and is in the pen a Cerezo prison Juarez.
http://www.mexonline.com/mexguns.htm
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote