Warning Good Sam Members. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Warning Good Sam Members.

I received my first speeding ticket in years last summer.
I have never had a DUI, license suspension and only one NOT AT FAULT accident about 6 years ago.
As expected my auto insurance rate went from about $750.00 a year to about $1100.00 for my 07 Tacoma and PL&PD on my Sunrader.
I resigned myself to the higher rate for a few years.
To make a long story short Good Sam had a rate increase this year and also realigned their California rates.

I sold the Sunrader so I dropped it from the policy.
Without the 2 car discount my new cost would have been $847.47 for 6 months or $1694.94 a year.
That was with a $1000.00 comp. and collision deductible.

I saved a lot of money going with GEICO.

Maybe Good Sam doesn't want us old guys any longer.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Of course Good Same still wants you... they just want you to be influenced by inertia and pay the higher rate!

Something else I've noticed: auto insurance companies that give a good price quote to get you business seem to raise that rate rather quickly over the next couple of years. It is always a good idea to not get overly fond of one's insurance company and to shop around periodically.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #3

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I dropped Allstate some years ago because they said they were going to drop my windstorm insurance and living on the Texas gulf coast windstorm coverage is not something you want to lose. State windstorm is almost cost prohibitive but an insurance agent recommended Hartford insurance from AARP. I got homeowners insurance including windstorm coverage and automobile insurance from them. They also informed me that if I stayed with them a short while they would never drop coverage. They no longer provide winstorm on the gulf coast but I am grandfathered in and that has saved me a lot of money. I bought my Casita FD last month and asked them how much insurance would cost and did they even provide it. They do and at a price of $180.00 a year. I had called Geico and they gave me a quote of over $850.00 a year for full coverage. I am very happy with Hartford and I would recommend that you check them out for yourself.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't even want to talk about insurance companies. Remember, it's not what you pay, but what they PAY OUT when you have a need. Read the fine print. GRRRRRRRRR.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #5

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
[ I am very happy with Hartford and I would recommend that you check them out for yourself.[/QUOTE]

I've been with Hartford for almost 12 years & every 2 years or so I check around with other companies, but can't beat Hartford's rates. Granted, I've never filed a claim, which is when you find out what your insurance company is really like, but I'm more than happy with their rates. Geico was the most expensive last time I checked; I'm wondering if they don't like us web-footed folks on the Oregon Coast! <_<
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:46 AM   #6

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I have filed a couple of claims with Hartford one of them for a new roof after hurricane Ike and and they paid for both claims without any argument.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Perry J... I still believe the best Ins. Co. is the one owned by the policy holders...not the share holders!!! Mutual Ins. Co's fit the bill.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Your post is confusing. Good Sam is an RV club, being a member has nothing to do with insurance. If you bought insurance through Good Sam, you probably bought National General insurance or a subsidiary of National General. Good Sam doesn't actually insure anyone, they act as a middleman for about four insurance companies and take a cut from each sale. AARP and some other organizations also do insurance in a similar fashion.

It is seldom to your benefit to buy through a middle man, deal directly with the insurance company.

FWIW, many people don't realize that the largest consideration next to your driving record is your credit score. People with poor credit will always pay a higher premium.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Warning Good Sam Members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
... I still believe the best Ins. Co. is the one owned by the policy holders...not the share holders!!! ...

State Farm Mutual is another company that works that way. I have had excellent claims service on our home and auto policies, and premiums have been among the lowest each time I checked. I have been with them 30+ years: 1 at-fault and 2 not-at-fault accidents, and no premium surcharges. I now have our Scamp covered as well.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #10

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
If you have served in the military you might get a quote for all your insurance needs...auto, home and million dollar umbrella policies from USAA...you must have served in the military to apply.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm willing to bet that if you have ever driven past a military base, you also can apply and qualify.

The United Services Automobile Association is a Texas-based Fortune 500 diversified financial services group of companies including a Texas Department of Insurance regulated reciprocal inter-insurance ... Wikipedia
Old 12-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Don't let an umbilical cord grow between you and ANY insurance company.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Glenn, If you do in fact apply to USAA and did not serve in the military (DD Form 214 as proof of service) you will not be able to obtain an insurance policy.
Yes they are registered with the Texas Department of insurance as all companies doing business in Texas are....I can assume you may not have served in the U.S. Military....I did...1966-1970 active duty USAF-Vietnam and Phillippines and inactive reserve 1970-1972.

Google the history of this company (founded by several officers after they completed their service). They only offer policies to current and former members of the U.S. Military and their family members.

I am not saying that USAA is the greatest but every policy holder I have spoken to tells me they saved hundreds when they discovered this company and recommend it highly!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
Your post is confusing. Good Sam is an RV club, being a member has nothing to do with insurance. If you bought insurance through Good Sam, you probably bought National General insurance or a subsidiary of National General. Good Sam doesn't actually insure anyone, they act as a middleman for about four insurance companies and take a cut from each sale. AARP and some other organizations also do insurance in a similar fashion.

It is seldom to your benefit to buy through a middle man, deal directly with the insurance company.

FWIW, many people don't realize that the largest consideration next to your driving record is your credit score. People with poor credit will always pay a higher premium.

817!!!
I may be an old guy but my intellectual capacity is still in reasonably good shape.
I realize, as most Good Sam Policy holders do, the policy was written by National General.
After extensive shopping they were the least expensive for the coverage I desired.

Old but still thinking,
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
I am a veteran and USAA member. My car insurance policy is with USAA, but they outsourced my boat and RV to Progressive, which is who called me when I asked God Sam for a quote. The USAA version was cheaper by a few dollars a year.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Of course I meant to say Good Sam...Not G-d Sam.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I was just insurance shopping again a few weeks ago. My company raised the deductible and threatened to drop us because of multiple claims for hail damage and a deer collision over the last three years. These were all comprehensive claims beyond our control. Hail damage to the Bigfoot trailer was about $3500 and included some fiberglass chips, destroyed awning and blasted fender skirt. I was impressed with the insurance company paying for everything without much hassle. But now they want to get away from my run of bad luck.

Being a veteran, I checked out USAA and got a comparable rate for the autos, and the trailer was farmed out to Progressive as stated by others on this thread. As Donna pointed out, it now remains to be seen how my new insurance responds to a claim.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
USAA has covered my trailers since I have had them as an insurance carrier. I do not believe it is farmed out to anyone. They told me it was because Florida law provides for trailer insurance to be included on auto policies.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
USAA could have directly covered my trailer as part of the auto policy. However, the rate they quoted was outrageously high. They covered my truck and cars at a good savings, but the trailer insurance quote was 3 to 4 times what I was quoted from other companies. I talked to 3 different agents who were all amazed at how high the quote was and could not explain it. I guess having a 25' Bigfoot in Wyoming with a previous hail damage claim hit some alarm bells for their underwriter. At that point they connected me directly to Progressive, who insured my trailer at a discount for being a USAA member. That quote was about 70% lower.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote