Was there ever an Aluminum Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #21

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Donna D help me out here......it seems like Years ago we did have a member that did a complete remodel on his camper( Boler,I think). If I remember right he was a retired Airstream engineer, and just wanted to see IF he could make his camper look like an Airstream inside and out. Seems like he did the outside paint job silver and even painted it to look like seams & rivets.... the inside was shaped and panted to look like the inside of an airstream also.

Maybe I am just dreaming....if not it would be nice to re-visit that thread.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No Lynn you're not dreaming. I think those pics were lost in the Big Hack I remember the "Airsteam Rivet" look. Even then, I thought WHY? Don't cheapen your trailer trying to make it look like it's something that it's not. Stand PROUD. White is "IN" if you feel up to it, match graphics to match your tug.... there are TONS of places to get decals. Want blue graphics... get blue!

Be one-of-one!

Not a phony pseudo replica.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Why would anyone WANT to make a trailer look like an Airstream? I never see one without thinking that they look like giant foil-wrapped suppositories.
And really COLD ones at that!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #24

Francesca, I'm the same way. After following the forums for a loooong time, I've kinda noticed it's the newer owners that try to follow that thinking. Those of us folks that own all molded towables for seveal years realize there's true value in being WHITE or off white or green or beige or some other manufactuers color. "Baby Airstream"... nay... and I have a SILVER TUG.

YMMV
Old 03-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #25

Name: kathy
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13
New York
Registry
When I bought my 72 Boler it was painted inside and out with a very similar aluminum paint After months of scraping and skinning my knuckles raw I finally got back to a wrecked clear coat. Now when I look back it was all worth it. Who wants an Airstream wannabe when you can have a Boler ?
adkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #26

For those that think I was being snarky.. NOT, but you do KNOW there was a concept AIRSTEAM that was built as an all WHITE ALL MOLDED TOWABLE... right? This is from the "historians" albums... at one time I was one of those members.. Can y'all see this? Fiberglass RV - Historian's Album: Airstream
Old 03-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
For those that think I was being snarky.. NOT, but you do KNOW there was a concept AIRSTEAM that was built as an all WHITE ALL MOLDED TOWABLE... right? This is from the "historians" albums... at one time I was one of those members.. Can y'all see this? Fiberglass RV - Historian's Album: Airstream
Donna's right, and Airstream also offered the whited panted ARGOSY as Airstream's testbed line. I read Airstream would prototype features which may or may not make it over to the Airstream line. Supposedly they used blemished bodies that didn't make the Airstream grade cosmetically, which were then painted & fitted out as the ARGOSY line. I found one for sale before I found my Scamp, but passed up on it. I didn't think my truck could pull it. Still, it was very nice for a 40 yr old TT.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Yep, there was a fiberglass Airstream. It proved more expensive to manufacture back in the day, what with hand laid fiberglass technics, then building with aluminum.

Since the invention of the chopper gun fiberglass has been less expensive.

But Airstream is an iconic aluminum trailer and they can charge whatever the traffic will bear and still sell more each year. But this to will eventually top out and the prices will have to drop as sales flatten and drop.
1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind (Modified)
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Hmmm, .... I can see it now, a mold splashed off an Airstream then a silver gelcoat sprayed in then chopped fiberglass sprayed in and voila a fiberglass Airstream including the rivet detail
1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind (Modified)
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp