Was this ahead of its time, or not - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 03:09 AM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
We have three companies that produce these on 4x4 or 4x2 formats based on the current Hilux or Ford Ranger chassis in Australia
Explorer Motorhomes
https://www.explorermotorhomes.com.au
Sunliner Motorhomes Habitat
https://www.sunliner.com.au/motorhomes/habitat
Suncamper Motorhomes Sherwood
http://www.suncampermotorhomes.com.a...-4x4/index.php
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:33 AM   #22

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Paul View Post
In 2017 my wife and I were doing a trip around the world. We were in the Red center of Australia for a week and we drove the "Red Center Loop" from Alice Springs. We rented a camper from a company called Cheepa Camper ( https://www.cheapacampa.com.au/campe...icles_adv.aspx ) I think this link should get you there. Anyhow it was built on the Toyota HiLux chassis with the 3L turbo diesel and the 6 speed manual. The camper was a popup all fiberglass construction bolted directly to the frame. It was a really nice rig, great mileage, rolled along very comfortably at 70+ MPH, and was not to top heavy for off road or crosswind situations. I would love to get it's equivalent here in the USA, but sadly it doesn't exist. One interesting note is that the fiberglass pop up was built by Winnebago. I'm not a huge Toyota fan but love this chassis, It's much nicer that the Tacoma, and much better drive-ability than the Tundra's that snap your neck when they finely start moving and then the traction control kicks in.
The Hilux is the most prolific " car" in Australia, followed less closely by the Ford Ranger. Hilux is a 2.8 litre Diesel the Ranger a 3.2 litre Diesel. Winnebago in the US terms does not exist. The " Winnebago" you drove was made by Apollo Motorhomes. There was another company making " Winnebago" Motorhomes but changed their name to AVIDA
Good summing up of the Hilux, but their are several " 1 Tonne Utes" that could make great small Motorhomes.Please check the websites above especially the Sunliner and Explorer ones
Old 02-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #23

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Too bad I live in the USA.....Smoky Mountains of North Carolina....why is the good stuff over in Australia???
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #24

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Looked at the Sunliner website...... @$142,000++++....I could buy a nice little lakefront cabin in Many locations .
Too rich for my retirement funds.

The used motorhome market is littered with bargains @$10,000 or less (much less).
My last travel trailer (used) was in superior condition and cost under $5,000.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #25

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Looked at the Sunliner website...... @$142,000++++....I could buy a nice little lakefront cabin in Many locations .
Too rich for my retirement funds.

The used motorhome market is littered with bargains @$10,000 or less (much less).
My last travel trailer (used) was in superior condition and cost under $5,000.
Durango Paul had a rental from one of the many hire companies, RV's are expensive in Australia compared to the US, but nonetheless they are a $20billion industry in Australia. US RV's due to their poor quality more than anything else, do not sell .Their is a huge " overlanding" section of the RV industry. Over landing or Off Road RVing is now spreading to the US, with many Australian companies starting to sell in the US
Australia unlike Canada makes over 80% of it's RV's with RV's categories that do not exist in the US
Old 02-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #26

NSW
Many all fibreglass Travel Trailers are quite rare, unlike the Ute based Motorhomes. A lot of Caravans are a combination of fibreglass and metal composites This is almost Scamp sized, roughly over a 100 manufacturers ranging from Camper Trailers to " Beasts"
A Karakampa all fibreglass Caravan
Centaur Products Australia: Karavané
On the other hand this very expensive Caravan, has every electronic device you can think of plus an electronically adjustable suspension. Size is moderate, but it has considerable Off Road abilities
https://www.caravancampingsales.com....-cover-112976/