Washington State Parks closing ?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Posts: 268
I was unaware that our Warshington State Parks charged more for non-residents. Can somebody link to the source of this extra fee? All I found was this.

Camping Fees | Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission

I do know we have different rates which have been assigned according to the popularity of sites, and one has to pay an extra fee for a reservation whether a resident or not, and the showers are not free.

I had to pay extra in Montana a few years ago.

A friend of a friend says that the big money making places--like Steamboat Rock, Cape Disappointment etc. kind of carry the other, less used places. Also, the reservation season was extended and the parks are making more money because of that.

Being a spontaneous person, I wish they'd leave about half the spaces as first come, first served.

And I like Oregon parks better. At one on the coast, in November, I think the volunteer hosts outnumbered the campers! I lived in Oregon for a few years so feel no guilt about staying there.

Heard on NWPR this morning that our governor was not going to accept anything temporary. We shall see. Meanwhile there are secret places to go. Shhhhhhh!
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If Alabama's new funding mechanism is working so well then why did Alabama sell off Florala SP ? We visited 4 different Alabama SP and 3 of the four had non functioning restrooms and were badly in need of repair From what we saw $50 million dollars won't even come close to reversing the damage caused by years of neglect.
What Bryan said in his post above. What you saw was the still lingering effect of years of legislators siphoning all the money out of those parks. The closing of some state parks and the passing of ownership and upkeep responsibilities to local municipalities for some others (like Florala State Park, which is now a "city" park) became the focal point of lobbying and state-wide radio/TV ads, and that became the proverbial "straws that broke the camel's back" in gaining broad public support and getting out the vote for Amendment #2 to return funding to the parks. That and a sudden realization among the tourist industry business sector that as more parks closed, more tourists from the north would just pass on through Alabama to Florida - taking their tourist dollars with them for hotels, restaurants, shopping, etc. I don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing that places like Gulf State Park have way more day visitors to the sandy beaches than campers, and if they don't like what they see in Alabama, Pensacola, Florida, is only 30 miles down the road. It's only been about 6 months since Amendment #2 passed. Give the new funding law another day or two (or maybe another year or two)! Then come back and see if you notice any improvements.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
https://wspf.org/act-now-we-need-you...ep-parks-open/ I have the feeling this is more of a "bluff" or grandstanding on the part of some politicians, but I also remember trying to get into Grand Canyon NP on October 1, 2013. That was the day the federal government shut down and the park was closed.
Jack, Going back to the link in your original post, is the Washington State Park Foundation as legit as their name sounds? I hope so and that their effort gets positive results. However, it could also be a clever way to build a database of outdoor enthusiasts (complete with name, address, e-mail address) that they could then use for various not so altruistic purposes regardless of their pledge not to abuse or sell the information. I guess it's my nature to be a passive skeptic....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
What Bryan said in his post above. What you saw was the still lingering effect of years of legislators siphoning all the money out of those parks. The closing of some state parks and the passing of ownership and upkeep responsibilities to local municipalities for some others (like Florala State Park, which is now a "city" park) became the focal point of lobbying and state-wide radio/TV ads, and that became the proverbial "straws that broke the camel's back" in gaining broad public support and getting out the vote for Amendment #2 to return funding to the parks. That and a sudden realization among the tourist industry business sector that as more parks closed, more tourists from the north would just pass on through Alabama to Florida - taking their tourist dollars with them for hotels, restaurants, shopping, etc. I don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing that places like Gulf State Park have way more day visitors to the sandy beaches than campers, and if they don't like what they see in Alabama, Pensacola, Florida, is only 30 miles down the road. It's only been about 6 months since Amendment #2 passed. Give the new funding law another day or two (or maybe another year or two)! Then come back and see if you notice any improvements.
I had a nice conversation with a woman that sits on the Florala City Council . Florala SP was a major part of the local economy and she admitted that the State of Alabama had let the park deteriorate to a point that it was affecting tourism.
I truly hope that the City of Florala can turn it around .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Jack, Going back to the link in your original post, is the Washington State Park Foundation as legit as their name sounds? I hope so and that their effort gets positive results. However, it could also be a clever way to build a database of outdoor enthusiasts (complete with name, address, e-mail address) that they could then use for various not so altruistic purposes regardless of their pledge not to abuse or sell the information. I guess it's my nature to be a passive skeptic....
I'm hoping the Washington State Park Foundation is sincere about this issue, but who knows. I did add my name and address to their data base knowing that the information would probably be used for commercial purposes too. It's up to each individual to decide if providing the requested information has any merit.

The point I need to emphasize is that anyone who has plans to visit Washington State Parks, or has reservations in a Washington State Park needs to be prepared for the shut down possibility.

I was very close to the Grand Canyon NP North Rim on September 30, 2013 which was the eve of the U S Government shutdown. I was unaware of the situation because I had been away from TV and internet. A fellow camper told me about the possibility of a shutdown which would close all National Parks. The next morning when the possibility became a reality, I had to make alternative plans. September in Southern Utah is quite popular. Many of the campers we met were from Europe Germany and France and they had rented motor homes. I was disappointed about the shutdown but can imagine visitors from foreign countries were devastated to have their plans destroyed by the closure. Sometimes you make plans and bureaucrats ruin them.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Posts: 7,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Sometimes you make plans and bureaucrats ruin them.
Not bureaucrats; politicians.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Not bureaucrats; politicians.
Thank you. I'm a retired federal worker. I worked during the long shutdown in the 1990s. It was kind of creepy because we few who worked during it, were asked to "show the flag" and drive around checking on stuff. Roads were snowy, phone service was not good, and you hoped somebody would be listening to the radio if you needed help. It was a little bit nice because while in the office, there were not many messages and phone calls to deal with.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #48
Member
 
Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Posts: 82
Trump new Sect. is looking at maybe privatizing some sites in the fed. park system I read .
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
Trump new Sect. is looking at maybe privatizing some sites in the fed. park system I read .
Call me "Mr. Cynical", but it would be just like a Washington one- or two-term appointee to cherry-pick some of the most profitable parks and "privatize," ie. give them in perpetuity, to political cronies to pad their personal bank accounts. I don't know whether to get mad or cry .
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,794
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Call me "Mr. Cynical", but it would be just like a Washington one- or two-term appointee to cherry-pick some of the most profitable parks and "privatize," ie. give them in perpetuity, to political cronies to pad their personal bank accounts. I don't know whether to get mad or cry .
Beware of wasting your emotional responses on pure hypotheticals. Best to keep your powder dry for substantiated threats.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Beware of wasting your emotional responses on pure hypotheticals. Best to keep your powder dry for substantiated threats.
Then why does Smokey Bear now have a Nike Logo on his hat ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,794
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Then why does Smokey Bear now have a Nike Logo on his hat ?
And I thought he always went bear-footed!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Bobbie Mayer's Avatar
 
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Posts: 3,348
Registry
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...ned_buffer_f_m

and then an update: deal tentatively reached.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...ned_buffer_f_m
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Kai in Seattle's Avatar
 
Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Posts: 2,567
Registry
Thanks, Bobbie.


Will await further updates.


No panic here--yet.


Kai
__________________
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Bobbie Mayer's Avatar
 
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Posts: 3,348
Registry
They have done these last minute things before. I'm pretty sure it will be okay for anyone who has plans for July. (None here other than maybe dragging my trailer up to a private home for the 4th.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Kai in Seattle's Avatar
 
Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Posts: 2,567
Registry
I went ahead and signed up for the Seattle Times daily e-mail update, having found it from your link above. It's good to get!


They said they'd release details about the 4th of July camping today...we'll see.


.
__________________
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Campfires, briquets, banned in Washington State Parks as of Aug 12 Bobbie Mayer Camping, Campout Reports 9 08-15-2014 03:06 PM
Florida Proposes Closing 53 State Parks Ray N Camping, Campout Reports 8 02-05-2011 07:17 PM
AZ State Parks closing. Harry Young General Chat 7 01-21-2010 09:49 PM
Washington Parks Closing Christi V. General Chat 7 03-18-2009 11:02 AM
Removing a large vent and closing up the hole it left. Sandra Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 09-11-2008 07:32 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.