watching dvds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
How do you watch DVDs or TV in your trailer? I have a 17' BF and wonder how others have decided to handle electronic entertainment? My Casita had a built in shelf. I would want to be able to have 2 of us watch simultaneously.
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have a small portable 12v dvd player that inputs into my tv tuner.. same as at home,

that said... My laptop gets used more than not. The screen is bigger.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We found at Radio Shack, several sizes of TV, dvd players that run on 110 and 12 volt. We got the 10 inch flat screen that is cable ready so we can watch the news or a dvd when ever we want. We almost always use the 12 volt even when we are plugged into power, and when we aren't plugged in the unit uses so little energy that we can't tell a difference. It has better volume than a computer and uses less energy. We had looked at a 13 inch regular TV but it weighed too much and even with the 12 volt used too much energy. The flat screens really show better and use a lot less energy.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Laptop plus earphones so I don't disturb the neighbors who might be there for the natural experience.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Lynne and I bought this 12V "10" Big Screen Mobile Theater" DVD-Only player (no TV Tuner) from Wal-Mart for $100; the swing-arm mount, intended for attaching the player to headrest posts was an extra $10. I figure we'll find an AM/FM/TV car stereo tuner so we can get local stations and plug it into the Line-In to watch the local station feeds.

The bungi straps securing the player to the Scamp cabinet posts are part of the player and attach at the back, by the way.

--Peter
Attached Thumbnails
DVD_Screen_Open_640x480.JPG   DVD_Screen___Coffee_Maker_Stowed_640x480.JPG  

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #6

Peter,

your coffeepot seems to be anchored to the wall. Tell me about it please.

thanks.

Eric
Old 01-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
We travel with a laptop computer which plays DVDs... so would be no additional hardware needed, if we were to watch a DVD in the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
Quote:
Lynne and I bought this 12V "10" Big Screen Mobile Theater" DVD-Only player (no TV Tuner) from Wal-Mart for $100; the swing-arm mount, intended for attaching the player to headrest posts was an extra $10. I figure we'll find an AM/FM/TV car stereo tuner so we can get local stations and plug it into the Line-In to watch the local station feeds.

The bungi straps securing the player to the Scamp cabinet posts are part of the player and attach at the back, by the way.

--Peter

It looks like you have a scamp that has no sink. I know the extra counter space is at a premium, but, no sink??? Somebody at the factory really messed up.
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Peter,

your coffeepot seems to be anchored to the wall. Tell me about it please.

thanks.

Eric
'Taint nuthin to it. Two 1-1/4" office paper binding clips clip a nylon strap with Velco-type tape on it to the fiberglass coutertop backsplash. Wrap it around the coffee maker and through the carafe handle and it holds it pretty snug.

I chose the 8-cup Black & Decker coffee pot because it's just the right size for Lynne and I and it has an all-metal thermal carafe, so there's no glass to break. It's also nice because it automatically turns itself off when it's done brewing, so no burnt-coffee smell in the trailer, ever, and the coffee stays hot for at least an hour. We got ours just after Christmas from Home Depot for $30.

--Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Coffee_Maker_Strap_480x640.JPG   Coffe_Maker_Strapped_In_480x640.JPG  

Old 01-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
We only watch DVDs while stretched out on the bed, so I went with a cobbled-together setup but mounted it permanently (even though the TV is detachable). DVD player below, CD changer hidden in the cabinet above, etc. No setup necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer_TV.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
It looks like you have a scamp that has no sink. I know the extra counter space is at a premium, but, no sink??? Somebody at the factory really messed up.
Sink is on the other side, Candi. In fiberglassland the Scamp 19' 5th wheel is a big trailer . . . In RVstorageland, however, it's hard to see our little rig behind anything but a tent trailer. Even the cab-over parked behind ours is bigger.

--Peter
Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have a 13 inch Color AC/DC TV with VHS, a 10" DVD player and a 17' laptop.

I used my laptop to play CD/DVD's until recently. I generally have the TV up on the counter next to the stove which only leaves the little shelf next to the sink to set the laptop.
It seemed to precarious to me. I purchased the DVD player and keep it plugged into the TV. I place it on top of the TV or hide it behind. If the DVD player happens to fall the loss would be far less than the laptop. Oh, and while my laptop has great speakers and sound, I've found using the TV for DVD/CD's gives me a little more volumne which I might need if the overhead fan were on.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:43 AM   #13

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
We use a small dvd player with a 7 inch screen.
At home a hd/dvd recorder which I use to produce dvd's we take with us on our journeys.
We don't need a TV, for news we use a simple shortwave (radio) receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
grundigdvd.jpg  
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #14

Quote:

--Peter
Peter,

that sounds interesting. Can you tell me the brand and model? THanks!
By the way, thanks for the photos with explanation. Gonna see if that works in my Bigfoot.

Eric
Old 01-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Peter,

that sounds interesting. Can you tell me the brand and model? THanks!
By the way, thanks for the photos with explanation. Gonna see if that works in my Bigfoot.

Eric
It's a no-name Walmart cheapie that claims to be made by Venturer, distributed by Alco Electronics of Ontario, Canada. The box was sitting in the recyle bin, so I folded it back together and snapped a pic for you.

--Peter
Attached Thumbnails
DVD_Player_Box.JPG  
Old 01-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Peter, do you like the picture on that?

I have a smaller screen on a swing out, also for mobile, but the tuner is a seperate unit. I could use that to input to the larger screen.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
Quote:
Sink is on the other side, Candi. In fiberglassland the Scamp 19' 5th wheel is a big trailer . . . In RVstorageland, however, it's hard to see our little rig behind anything but a tent trailer. Even the cab-over parked behind ours is bigger.

--Peter
Of course, it makes sense now that I think about it. I imagine that everyone has a scamp just like mine, laid out in the same manner.

Our neighbor had a 5th wheel in their backyard for the longest time. It looked like it was never used. We drove by everyday and looked for it. One day it was gone and though not a big disappointment in the scheme of things, we were still a little sad. Scamps just have that cute factor about them.

But, I'm off topic. I went to Walmart to look at your DVD/TV stand and couldn't find any. I did find that screen. Did you say you can plug something in to get local stations?

Candi
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We attached a TV/DVD/CD radio under the counter above the sink. I don't have pictures, but you can spin the screen towards the bed, so we sit on the bed while watching. On the bed, we bought some seats at Target that fold to support the back and the bottom. So we prop them against the Burro's back wall, sitting on the bed, with the TV flipped down below the cupboard above the sink.

CindyL
Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Peter, do you like the picture on that?

I have a smaller screen on a swing out, also for mobile, but the tuner is a seperate unit. I could use that to input to the larger screen.
The screen is a little small, really, but TV watching isn't a big thing for us. More something we'll do to listen to the local weather guy or watch a movie when it's cold, wet, and scary outside. It's main attraction is that it can swing out where we can both see it while sitting in the dinette without cluttering up our counter or other space.

--Peter
Old 01-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
I went to Walmart to look at your DVD/TV stand and couldn't find any. I did find that screen. Did you say you can plug something in to get local stations?
Many (most?) stand-alone DVD players also have a TV tuner built-in, but what we're looking for is an AM/FM car stereo with a DVD player, something like this: http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Pyle-Pyle-PLD1...ayer-w-TV-Tuner

--Peter