Water Freezing Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: Big Foot
Alaska
Water Freezing Question

I am driving from Alaska to Arizona, taking my Big Foot 21ft travel trailer, leaving next week, around Sept 11, 2020. Getting up by Tok and going through Yukon temps at night look like 28 to 32 degrees. Do I need to worry about my pipes and holding tanks? I am traveling with my pets so the inside heat will be on 24/7.
Arcticpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
What you're comfortable doing for your pets is obviously up to you, but at those temps my heater may not even get turned on. It's definitely no problem for your water, unless the daytime temps aren't getting above freezing.

I don't know what year your trailer is or if it's the 4-season package. That's makes a huge difference. But I've camped a lot where the nighttime temps are low 20's, high teens, daytime temps in the 40's and had no problems. My Bigfoot is a 91 and doesn't have insulated tanks or water lines or any of the nice things they added to later models.

Someone mentioned this a while ago in another post, but I think people are often far to worried about freezing lines. I mean it is a possibility, but not until it gets really cold. If you leave a dog water dish in the cab of your truck overnight, and the temps go down to 20, I'd be very, very surprised if there were even a thin layer of ice on the top. Even just a roof keeps things from freezing, like a carport or porch/patio. It has to get pretty cold for sheltered things to freeze solid.

Do your pets ride in the trailer?

Anyway my dog is good in the camper when the temps inside the trailer are in the low 40's, high 30's. My heat doesn't come on at night unless inside-the-trailer temps are going to drop into the 30s. That only happens if outside temps get into the 20s. Everyone's internal body temp and tolerances are different, but I'm providing that as a comparison. I have friends who don't let their trailers drop below 60, so they run their heat quite a bit.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Can you even enter Canada? https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...s-eng.html#er1
Is it deemed "non-discretionary" travel? Do you need to quarantine for 14-days? Best to call to confirm.

At those temps and with the heat on at night I wouldn't be worried. I don't think it would be necessary to run the furnace going down the road. What year? If it is a RB look in the cabinet under the closet. Is there a small duct like in this pic?

If so it is probably a 4-seasons model. That's the furnace duct that heats the holding tanks. Also, the windows should be double pane.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #4

Alaska
Thank you. I think I will put the birds in the truck with me and heat my BF at night. I have a 2006... I won’t worry about my water then.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #5

Alaska
I am moving so getting from here through Canada will be okay. I have all my critters health records and all my paperwork in order. They don’t want you hanging around. They tag your vehicle and you have a certain amount of time to exit Canada. No side trips.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Birds! Nice. Wonder how often people see that on the road.

I did see a woman who appeared to be training her parrot at a gas station this summer. Lots of people were on the road this season...

So it depends on what you and your pets are used to.

My dog and I are used to less climate control than some, so hanging out in a 50 degree trailer during the day is no problem. 40s at night inside the trailer is preferable. Over 60 and I’m uncomfortably hot.

But I was camped next to a woman from AZ earlier this year, and her (fat) dog was shivering because it got down to 45 at night...This was a lab mix, not a little ankle biter that always shivers...So...it’s what you’re acclimated to. I see dogs in town who NEVER go inside. Even when it’s 20 below outside, they’re out there. They sleep in an insulated, but not heated, dog house.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #7

Alaska
I will be traveling with two birds, two ferrets and two hairless dogs. One of the hairless dogs is always shivering and is an ankle biter. The birds are my biggest concern. The dogs have clothes, the ferrets fur, but the birds are not cold weather birds. Should be an interesting trip.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:12 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Do check into the border requirements for the animals.

My mom used to travel with her birds. But it was to warm states in the winter. All I can say is they’re messy in a small space... LOL! She kept hers in the rarely used RV shower most of the time to contain the mess.

Best wishes in your planning!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #9

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Definitely check for the ferrets - in some states (California is or was one) they are considered wildlife and not allowed as pets. I am a vet tech, and we had a couple come to the clinic a few years ago and surrender their ferret (that they had for years) because they were moving to California and only discovered at the last minute that ferrets were not allowed as pets - even though they were captive bred, like all of them, CA still considered them wildlife. That may have changed.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When in doubt. You know the answer.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #11

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Pipes and tanks freezing?

Freezing pipes probably won't be an issue for 4 degrees Fahrenheit below freezing temps. I certainly wouldn't be concerned about the tanks (grey, black & fresh water) but, if pipes is a concern, I would just open the spigots on the sinks to relieve any pressure and leave them open overnight. For the commode, just hold the flush valve down for a few seconds.

That presumes that you are disconnected from a "city" water source and that your internal pump is turned off.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #12

Name: Lorne
Trailer: Triple E- Surfside
AB
yes, you can enter Canada, as long as you travel directly to a Border crossing on Canada's southern border, i know this for certain, please don't stop in Banff, Alberta area and do not do sight seeing, last week i read that an American was fined $750,000.00 for second infraction of sight seeing in the Banff Area. I am Canadian and i know that Canada would never isolate Alaska from the continental USA.
tabertooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #13

Name: Lorne
Trailer: Triple E- Surfside
AB
also i would carry documentation of where you are staying in Arizona,
tabertooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #14

Name: Garry
Trailer: Surf Side
Alberta
Registry
@Arcticpalm Just make sure you don't do sightseeing while you are in Canada, There is a hefty fine if you are caught doing things other than eating, driving and sleeping while transiting through because of Covid 19.
The_Kramers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabertooley View Post
yes, you can enter Canada, as long as you travel directly to a Border crossing on Canada's southern border, i know this for certain, please don't stop in Banff, Alberta area and do not do sight seeing, last week i read that an American was fined $750,000.00 for second infraction of sight seeing in the Banff Area. I am Canadian and i know that Canada would never isolate Alaska from the continental USA.
The fine of $750,000 is deceiving because the fine is in Canadian dollars so it’s actually only $600,000 in USD
The fine may seem excessive but they were repeat offenders
Hopefully the courts also seized their vehicle and trailer .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Grey and Black tanks, I use to put rock salt in them in the winter. and Yes, The salt DID NOT damage the tanks.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The fine of $750,000 is deceiving because the fine is in Canadian dollars so it’s actually only $600,000 in USD
The fine may seem excessive but they were repeat offenders
Hopefully the courts also seized their vehicle and trailer .

Nobody has been fined $750,000. That is the maximum amount you could be fined. Fines that have been levied are under $2,000.
You could also go to prison for six months, but nobody has, or even close.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:00 PM   #18

Name: Denise
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Transiting Canada

http://https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5692421

Please respect Canada’s rules if you are travelling between Alaska & lower 48.
Denise T is offline   Reply With Quote