Water water everywhere????? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita

I'm confused, which isn't too unusual, but I've been researching this whole ''water thing'' and really don't know what to believe.

Some, you know who you are --Lou & Lora-- really believe in the distilled water thing. Others believe in the Reverse Osmosis (RO) thing.

Others don't give it a lot of thought and others just buy ''bottled water'' with faith in the seller and producer of the bottled water.

What I want to know is WHERE IS THE TRUTH???????

I really believe that healthy water is a growing concern for all of us and I am trying to determine what I should invest in and use. Personally, I like SAM'S CHOICE bottled water from Wal Mart because it tastes so good to me.

But I often wonder if there aren't a bunch of workers in some dark dank cellar, just filling bottles from the faucet and calling it ''artesian, or something like that.

What do you think? What's best and why do you think that?

Thanks,

Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Isn't it odd that you mentioned:

"But I often wonder if there aren't a bunch of workers in some dark dank cellar, just filling bottles from the faucet and calling it ''artesian, or something like that"."

It turns out that that is exactly what Perrier really is.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The best water comes right out of my well.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:05 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I buy bottled water and hope its the real thing.When I lived in Fernie BC i did the same thing BUT i knew the owner of the water company and it was pure mountain spring water.I also know of a company here that was selling bottled water and advertizing it as pure mountain spring water,but was as stated before, a few guys using tap water.

Buyer beware i guess.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Isn't it odd that you mentioned:

"But I often wonder if there aren't a bunch of workers in some dark dank cellar, just filling bottles from the faucet and calling it ''artesian, or something like that"."

It turns out that that is exactly what Perrier really is.

I am 65 years old and have never heard of anyone suffering any illness from city tap water. I think bottled water is like deoderant, theTV became a household item and advertising came along and told us we all smelled and a new industry was born.
I buy bottled water in the small bottles and freeze it to put in my ice chest when I am riding my ATV in the hot desert. It is convenience.
I read a report a while back that stated that there are more little live growing things in bottled water than in municiple tap water. You are right, it makes one wonder.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Have you considered Microwater?
http://portalmarket.com/micro.html

Name:   water.gif
Views: 52
Size:  17.1 KB
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #7

or Alka Blue Water Ionizers
http://www.braintuner.com/microwater.htm

Name:   alkablue_vf.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  13.7 KB
Old 11-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #8

or Steam-Distilled Water
http://www.steamdistiller.com/

Name:   MH943PC1.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  6.4 KB
Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #9

Registry
Kind of reminds me of a TV commercial a few years ago. Some young people were getting a drink out of mountain stream. One of them said something about that water being so good that maybe they could get rich bottling and selling the water. The others just laughed at him.

If city tap water was going to hurt you most us would be in real trouble.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #10

Super Concentrated Oxygenated Water
http://www.oxy.cc/

Old 11-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #11

dihydrogen monoxide hoax
http://www.answers.com/topic/dihydrogen-monoxide-hoax
Old 11-29-2006, 01:27 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Mike, it's not a hoax!

Consider that in most American cities with populations over 200,000 a majority of poor, single-parent households are feeding that stuf to their children and the children are addicted to the stuf!! So much so that if deprived of it for periods of three or four days, the children will die!

Dihydrogen monoxide deprivation can be deadly even in adults and city governments in many US cities have stepped in to take control of the distribution of the stuf.

Because it's not illegal yet in most jurisdictions in North America, I usually carry a supply of it when I travel so that I can help out those who may be suffering.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:13 AM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Tap water in almost every U.S. city is of at least the quality of and is probably better for you than most bottled water. Unless there's some specific local condition that you're concerned about (like a house with an excess of lead in the pipes) or your water has higher levels of nitrites or something, there's no reason to buy bottled water for daily use in the U.S. Your water company is required to do a monthly and annual report about the quality of the water produced. That is available to you.

The director of our water department is a fellow department head, and I have learned a LOT about municipal water quality and treatment from him. We just installed a new water system in our town, and have some of the highest quality water available. Before we did that, though, we had old, OLD pipes that were rusty and would occasionally deliver rust as well as water, so I have a water softener as well as a whole-house sediment and whole-house charcoal filter setup in place. We don't really need them any more, but they're still nice to have.

Here's what the FDA has to say about tap water vs. bottled water:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2002/402_h2o.html

And another study that concludes that bottled water isn't necessarily safer than tap water; This quote is part of the study's (see link below) Executive Summary:

Quote:
In sum, approximately one third of the tested waters (34 of 103 waters, or 33 percent) violated an enforceable state standard or exceeded microbiological-purity guidelines, or both, in at least one sample.
http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/bwinx.asp

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
It is good that RogerH lives in Iowa. He would have a different opinion about water quality if he lived, say, in Grand Prtairie, TX.

We have, I believe, a rather unique situation with our water.

During the summer months the city cannot deliver enough water for the city (lawn watering, etc.) from their wells and therefore purchase large quantities of water from Dallas, TX.

However, in the winter months the city wells can produce adequate water to fit the city's needs and therefore do not purchase as much water from Dallas.

Dallas' water is primarily lake water that is highly processed before delivery and doesn't taste to bad. The water from Grand Prairie's wells contains a high concentration of desolved minerals and has a rather foul taste.

We also filter and treat the water as it enters our home, but this doesn't remove all of the taste. We do drink bottled water (Ozarka) during these bad taste months.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Good topic with which we all should be concerned,

We are personally fortunate to live where our water tastes wonderful. The source is a horizontal well in the side of an extremely rugged mountain above which there is no possibility for contamination by pollution from manufacturing processes, run-off from a dump, or leaking fuel storage tanks. This is also the reason why we travel with a full white water tank.

It's a curious thing how we complain about the cost of gasoline and yet will spend more per gallon for drinking water which is supplied in containers that are made from petroleum products.

Just an observation on the convenience of expendable income in the American way-of-life.

Another possibility is that maybe we are consiously or unconsiously exhibiting a distrust for our governmental agencies to effectively care for our needs with which they are entrusted.

Some "food for thought" introduced by this discussion...

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
We have a bottling plant near where we live. I have been inside while it was operating and noticed how clean the place was kept. They heated the water above the boiling point, then cooled and areated it before putting it into sterilized bottles. Very mechanized so that the hole production only required three or four employees. I just hope that all the other bottlers are as concientious.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:

I'm confused, which isn't too unusual, but I've been researching this whole ''water thing'' and really don't know what to believe.

Some, you know who you are --Lou & Lora-- really believe in the distilled water thing. Others believe in the Reverse Osmosis (RO) thing.

Others don't give it a lot of thought and others just buy ''bottled water'' with faith in the seller and producer of the bottled water.

What I want to know is WHERE IS THE TRUTH???????

I really believe that healthy water is a growing concern for all of us and I am trying to determine what I should invest in and use. Personally, I like SAM'S CHOICE bottled water from Wal Mart because it tastes so good to me.

But I often wonder if there aren't a bunch of workers in some dark dank cellar, just filling bottles from the faucet and calling it ''artesian, or something like that.

What do you think? What's best and why do you think that?

Thanks,

Keith
Hi: The truth is this... I think!!! The best thing that ever happened for shareholders in Coke/Pepsi etc. was when they discovered they could sell people "WATER"!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. Our biggest water scandal was Walkerton Ontario... where farm run off seeped into the town water supply and their purifier couldn't keep up with it!!! So when reading the label of a major Canadian brand of bottled water I was shocked to see "Bottled in Walkerton Ontario"
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #18

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
Wish I could remember which month and year---but Consumer's Reports did a study quite a few years ago on bottled water. Taste tests showed that the bottled water that most testees preferred had a significant quantity of manure. Now that's no bull---but I wonder if there isn't a bit of a pun involved here?

Art
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #19

I saw this story on 20/20.
<blockquote> http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/st...=728070&page=1 </blockquote>
Quote:
Bottom line, if you buy bottled water because you think it's healthier than tap, test after test shows no evidence of that. And if you buy fancy brands because you think they taste better, you're probably just buying the hype.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #20

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
The French have a subtle sense of humor.

Evian is naive spelled backward.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote