Wax protective coating - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2020, 12:28 AM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Manitoba
Wax protective coating

Hello, what is the best recommended product for yearly waxing/protection of the gel coat of the fiberglass? I have a new trailer.
Many thanks.
bozlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:53 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Meguiarís Flagship Premium Marine Wax.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...32-Oz/30340878
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Meguiarís Flagship Premium Marine Wax.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...32-Oz/30340878
Meguiarís Flagship is a great wax , so is their synthetic wax
If you plan on leaving your trailer sitting outside exposed to the sun and the elements donít expect any wax / polish to last a whole year .
Even Nu Finish , the one year car wax doesnít last for more than about 6 months
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #4

Manitoba
Thankyou! I would like to wax her and am intending on ordering a Calmark cover ... ( I know it is $$... but will last the long haul)!
Old 09-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
There are many good waxes and sealants. My latest attempts are (Amazon) Meguiar's M2116 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant followed by Meguiar’s M2616 Mirror Glaze Hi-Tech Yellow Wax.

But in the past I have used Nu Finish, which did well, Black Widow, Turtle wax, Starbright, BTS, and the list goes on. Do not really like BTS, just did not seem to last long or give a decent shine.

I use car wash soaps, but they all leave spots even thought they all say they don't.

There are a number of waterless waxes which are really interesting to use. However, I always try to first wash then apply the stuff. I really like to use this on the bottom of by boats; I swear they go faster.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #6

Manitoba
Thankyou! Very good to have options to see what brands are available here(Canada).
Old 09-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #7

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Look in the marine section at Canadian Tire.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #8

Manitoba
Thankyou! Will do! Just bought a chamois there!
Old 09-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
I use Meguiarís Flagship Premium Marine Wax. I applied it last Fall and covered our Scamp with a new CalMark cover. Due to the pandemic itís been sitting ever since. Weíve had a really hot and smokey summer so Iím glad itís well protected.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Wax yellows and breaks down in the sun. Car wax was made for cars. What, in far lager numbers is fiberglass, besides fiberglass trailers? Boats. I strongly suggest you look at marine products that are specifically made for fiberglass/gelcoat. I have used Starbrite Marine Polish (with Teflon) for over a dozen years. It not only looks great, lasts a long time, doesn't yellow, and has protected my gel coat almost completely. Plus it is much easier to apply than wax. No polisher or rubbing is needed...just wipe on and wipe off.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #11

Manitoba
Thankyou! Starbrite Marine Polish sounds like a good product !I’ll look for it here. Thankyou.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #12

British Columbia
If you have any oxidation, 3M has a line of marine cleaner/waxes, some more aggressive than others.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.25.15 AM.jpg  
Old 09-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #13

Manitoba
Thankyou!
Old 09-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #14

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Wax for Gel Coat

I go to Lowes and get ZEP heavy duty floor wax. Us the ZEP grease and dirt removal first. It's not difficult to us or apply. Takes about four coats of the floor was to really shine.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #15

British Columbia
I recommend a good car polish for the kitchen floor. And white vinegar for mouth wash. <_<
Old 09-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
I’ve gotten good results with Race Glaze Polish & Sealant .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozlouie View Post
Hello, what is the best recommended product for yearly waxing/protection of the gel coat of the fiberglass? I have a new trailer.

You will get a TON of opinions on this... Your fiberglass trialer is akin to a boat. So, the care and feeding is similar to that of a boat. You are doing well to do this while new. If waiting even a few months, it makes the job harder as the surface will have started to oxidize.

I only recommend what I know will work. So here is what I do:

Step 1. Meguire's M67 One-Step Compound - Applied by Mechanical Buffer

Step 2. Meguire's M63 Flagship Marine wax - Applied by hand then buffed off with a micro fiber towel

Since you Casita is new you can use a random orbital polisher and orange foam pad as opposed to a more agressive orbital polisher. Griots Garage makes a nice one - the G9. Porter Cable has been the standard until recently and still makes a decent buffer - the 7424XP. A buffer will help clean the surface and open up the gel coat to accept the sealer/wax used in step 2.

Of course to some this may be too much work so the alternative is to do nothing, or pay someone... Expect to pay anywhere from $10 to $40 per linear foot. The roof may (or may not) be included in this price.

This should be done annually or better yet twice a year.

I have no ties to Meguire's. I just have a lot of products on the shelf including the 3M, Collonite, Presta etc. I recommend Meguire's here because its readily available, inexpensive and the results are repeatable.
AstroPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #18

Name: Sammy Joe
Trailer: Planning stage
Florida
I spent most of my life in the marine industry as well as always having BOATS. and I’m annal about how they are kept (and have had one in a major boat show after 20 yrs old and 6 pairs of motors ) I have HD buffer I used for years but picked up a orbital buffer at Harbor Freight and love it. Wore the first one out and it didn’t owe me anything and was replaced the next week. Now I have a camper with fiberglass sides and got it oxidized and am actually going to buff and polish it out when we get back from the trip we are on now. I’ll buff with compound and then use good wax and then polish. Typically shine the boats up 2 times a year. I’ll work on it for about 3 easy days (6 hrs each) and good to go. The camper I’m sure I’ll polish it up while out on trips just because it’s relaxing to me.
Good luck with your new camper .
Sammy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote