We are now Bigfoot owners! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
As a few of you know we have been searching for a Bigfoot 5th in the states for over 6 months. We had bought a truck and a hitch. I was spending several hours each evening searching the net.

On the evening of April 25th there was an ad for a single axle in Medford Oregon. I contacted the seller and asked for a few more pictures which he provided and I agreed to buy it. We spent the evening putting our "getting a trailer kit" together and started out Sunday morning on a 750 mile trip to hopefully come home with it. We arrived before dark and were able to look at it. It was not as nice in person as we had hoped but all problems seemed addressable to us. We agreed to finish up the deal the next day and we drove off exhausted but excited to find a motel.

The next morning was spent going to the bank for cash, going to the DMV for a trip permit as the P.O. had let the registration expire. There were a few snags in hitching it that we worked out on a "just get it home basis" and the trailer also had no brakes as the P.O. had not put them back on after changing the axle. We started out mid afternoon and made it to just north of Sacramento where we stopped in a rest area for the night. We made it home the next afternoon including some "tire" trouble on the truck which ended up in having to purchase new tires the minute we got home. Then we discovered the we also had a bad rim which forced us to get a new set of them also!

The next week was spent solving the rim problem (ordering new ones) and feverishly working on the trailer to get it ready for the San Antonio outing.

I'll post some picture later, I have to download them from the camera.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Last week, in a post about packing up to set out for lake San Antonio, Lizbeth stated something to the effect of "I need to pack fans because we don't have air conditioning."

I pondered that for a while, knowing that She and Eric had duplicated a window ac installation like mine in their Boler.

When I rounded the corner of the campground and saw the Bigfoot 5th, I must have let out an audible whoop for I didn't have to guess whose it was!

<span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">Congratulations!</span>
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrats! Enjoy!
Attached Images

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
I really enjoy the stories of the hunt and bringing the catch home. Congratulations on a job well done.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
we met them there and saw there new baby and know we want too. However we were happy to meet themas they live not far from us and we can watch them make it perfect, and learn from them.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Alexandra and Mataniu
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:12 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
WOW !!! Your perseverance has paid off BIGTIME - congratulations on the Bigfoot. What fun to spring your surprise on the gang at Lake San Antonio. We know you will have a ball "personalizing" and upgrading your new rig, and look forward to LOTS of pics of the process. Hope our travel path will cross in the future so we can admire all this in person. Take care, L 'n D
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 1986 19 ft Bigfoot
Lizbeth,

Glad to hear you finally found what you were looking for. Congratulations.

We are, as we speak, enjoying our "new to us" Bigfoot trailer on the Oregon coast. We just love it....

Hope to see some pictures soon.

Cheers,

Frederic
FredericL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
woo hoo!!! FINALLY!

I can't wait to see it be transformed like the Boler was.

Still keeping the little guy?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #9

Registry
We are still keeping the Boler at this point. I felt REALLY guilty pilfering stuff out of it for the rally. I petted it and told it I would take it camping soon.

We were really hoping to find a dual axle BF but we are already finding a few advantages to the single axle such as more storage. The dual axle has a raised floor which reduces the drawer and cabinet space. Eric is really tickled about the headroom even thought the dual axle still would have had plenty. I can just barely reach the Fantastic vent controls!

The big bad about this trailer is it needs to have the roof re supported where the AC used (and will be again) to be. It has a slight sag in that area. The P.O. did a questionable install on the Fantastic vent removing part of a roof support to install the wiring. I have done some searching in past topics and have seen this sag cab be a problem on older BF trailers and how to fix it.

For those of you wondering about installing brakes I highly recommend dealing with Redneck Trailer Supply. I called several Dexter dealers closer to me and got questionable result when asking about ordering the whole brake kits. When I called Redneck they knew just what I needed and their pricing and service was great.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #10

Registry
A few pictures.... more to come when I can remember to get the camera from Eric!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01144.JPG   DSC01146.JPG  

DSC01145.JPG  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lizbeth, I know you've been looking for a long time and now you've got one! Looks like nice one too

Congratulations
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 1994 Bigfoot 5th Wheel / 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Hi Lizbeth
Congrats on getting your BF 5th wheel. We love ours. If you have any questions please ask.
Cheers
Greg & Lynn
Greg St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #13

Registry
Thanks everyone!

Greg, I'm sure we will have questions as we progress in our rehab. Thanks for the offer.

This afternoon was spent shopping for upholstery material, that rosy brown stuff has got to go in the dinette. I didn't find anything I liked that I could afford. I was hoping to save the dinette curtains but today I discover a big rip in one of them. At least I'm starting from a clean slate, no having to match existing colors!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Way to go Lizbeth! Wow that was a long search, but you finally did it.

Looks to be a pretty good find, can't wait to see more pics and some of the mods.

Enjoy! Hope to see it in person soon.

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
ain't that the purdiest thing?

I am really happy you finally got one!

Now, keep searching for my BF 17... :-P
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #16

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Liz and Eric,

WOO HOO! It looks great! We're so happy for you. All your searching was well worth it, because you're going to love it! Congratulations, and welcome to the club!

Maureen & Chris
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #17

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
congrats on finding your bigfoot
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #18

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Great to you guys ,Bigfoots are beautiful,I owned a 1974 Boler for 20 years in the family, my wife and I decided to buy something bigger we looked at 17 ft Bolers and then we seen the 17 ft Bigfoot,s well we would see one on Craigslist ,well half hour, gone I missed three Bigfoot,s that way, but all of a sudden one Saturday a Bigfoot came up forsale and I was the first to call ,well we are now proud owners of a 1988 Bigfoot and even when I was looking at it there was another person there waiting to buy it,but I did sell my Boler,it was hard to let her go as I spent so much time restoring,but now I have a new project The BC BIGFOOT but not much to do just make it better and some new additions,anyway have fun with your new Bigfoot. Maybe someone should start a Northwewst Bigfoot Club??????
Rick/Marg and THE BC BIGFOOT................

Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #19

Registry
The mods begin..... This weekend electric landing gears. The old Hijackers that had to reach the ground by being set on a pile of 4"x6"s (about 12" worth) made me really uneasy with the earthquakes we've been having.

I will start a mod thread and post pictures!
Old 05-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Lizbeth and Eric,

Congratulations on finding your Bigfoot 5er! We saw Paul's at the Oregon Gathering a couple times; really nice.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot