we are off to quartzite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
we are off to quartzite

ok children

within 1 hour we are off to quartzite despite my wife s harping since my back is giving me fits.

I have showered, have my teeth in I am ready. we will be traveling via 54s to 44w. we will be driving a red 2015 red ford edge tugging our Scamper 13f no brakes.

I will be a short baldheaded guy so beware I will have those big sunglasses on, I will be driving 50mph and no doubt holding up traffic on the interstate. I do have my drivers license by the way!!

if you want to do a sighting of a 13f scamp one will be in your neighborhood. when we get to quartzite we will be staying at Dome Rock why because its totally free and I am cheap and I think there are some other cheap fiberglass rvers there also!

best regards to everyone and I will be checking in as we move along. slowly now!!!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Have a great trip Bob. I hope both you and your wife have a great trip and have fun. Frequent stops to rest and move about are the key for me and my back when traveling.

Be safe.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:27 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Travel well, Bob! Hope the AZ sunshine holds out and is kind to your back. We sure need some moisture, though. So far this winter has been one of the driest I can recall.

When you pass Holbrook on I-40, wave toward the south! You may catch a glimpse of mountains on the far horizon. That's us!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #4

Missouri
thanks

thanks for the kind words yes jon we will take a look even might be your way you never know. we are roamers so quartzite may not suit too long.

bob
Old 01-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
ok children

within 1 hour we are off to quartzite despite my wife s harping since my back is giving me fits.

I have showered, have my teeth in I am ready. we will be traveling via 54s to 44w. we will be driving a red 2015 red ford edge tugging our Scamper 13f no brakes.

I will be a short baldheaded guy so beware I will have those big sunglasses on, I will be driving 50mph and no doubt holding up traffic on the interstate. I do have my drivers license by the way!!

if you want to do a sighting of a 13f scamp one will be in your neighborhood. when we get to quartzite we will be staying at Dome Rock why because its totally free and I am cheap and I think there are some other cheap fiberglass rvers there also!

best regards to everyone and I will be checking in as we move along. slowly now!!!!

bob
Hey bob do you mean no brakes on the scamp or the edge , if the latter I’ll be sure to take a different route than yours , if it’s the scamp than I might just give you a wave when I pass you by.hope to see you there.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #6

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Have a great trip to QUARTZSITE, the place, and enjoy collecting quartzite, the stones. When the town was named, the intent was to name it after the stones, but it was misspelled, and it’s never been corrected. I kind of like that there’s a slight difference, so it’s easy to tell which thing is being discussed. As for the place, I wish I could be there this year. I miss my friends and all the funkiness of the town. Safe travels!

Wendy and
Rhett the Anti-War Cat
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
You probably already have your route planned but the best route from SoMO is go to I-40 at Oklahoma City, west to Amarillo, SW through Clovis to Roswell then over the mountains to Las Cruces. From there you are on I-10 all the way to Quartzsite. Its not all interstate but the highways are all very good. Check GasBuddy. I-40 exit 140 in West Oklahoma City has a Pilot, Flying J, TA and Loves (one on each corner) and the best gas prices of the trip. The Cherokee Trading Post at Okla exit 71 is an excellent place to boon dock for the night. There is a nice rest area in Texas just west of Allenreed on I-40. The major truck stops in Amarillo will have the best gas prices there. There is a good boon docking front lot of the Pilot truck stop at exit 75.

Take I-27 south. US highway 60 branches off at exit 110. Take that all the way to Clovis, NM then take US highway 70 south. There is a Sam's Club / Walmart at Roswell. Good gas prices and boon docking. 70 goes all the way to I-10 at Las Cruces. All of the gas in Oklahoma, Texas (and Missouri) is loaded up with ethanol. Combine that with the normal south west wind and your gas mileage will be really bad. The station attendant at the Sam's Club in Roswell told me their gas is ethanol free. That was three years ago so I don't know if that is still true but I fill up there every trip and my gas mileage jumps three miles per gallon for that tank every time. That is going over the mountains to Las Cruces.

Deming is a real nice little town on I-10. There is a Wal-Mart there (boon docking) and several reasonably priced RV parks if you want to hook up, fill and drain your tanks. One of my favorite boon docking sites is the rest area at the West Lordsburg NM exit 20. In Arizona, there is a TA truck stop at exit 340, nice parking lot to boon dock and a real good chance to dump your tanks and top off fresh water. It is a short one day drive from there to Quartzsite. Don't stop in Tucson. They have a ordinance against sleeping in an RV inside the city. You will want to fuel up at the truck stops in Eloy (exit 208) (best prices). You can also boon dock there. By the time you leave Eloy have your waste tanks empty and your fresh water tank full. It is about 200 miles to Quartzsite.

Take the Phoenix by-pass (I-8 west to Hwy 85 north at Gila Bend). You will come out on I-10 again at the 112 mile marker and you will have missed a possible traffic nightmare in Phoenix. If it is getting late and you don't want to go the rest of the way to Quartzsite (less than two hours) there is a TA truck stop at exit 103. Absolute premium boon docking spot along the north edge of the lot with palm trees and a nice food bar in the restaurant. No water or RV dump.

When you get into Quartzsite you will pay for water and you will pay to dump. Have your fresh water tank full and your waste tanks empty when you get there.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #8

Missouri
Thanks thanks evevery one now on claremore

Thanks all now in claremore OK Bob
Old 01-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
The Intellicast wind map comes in handy when towing long distances.

Intellicast - Current Winds in Lubbock, Texas
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote