We did it! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Rocky R.
After over two years of looking around these forums and countless phone calls to Carla at Casita, my wife and I ordered our 17' SD today. July 10th is our pickup date. We already have a few trips planned for the rest of the summer and fall. We also plan to spend a lot of weekends at our astronomy club's observatory.
While we are waiting, I am going to have a 30-amp power circuit installed on the side of the house where the trailer will be parked. We are thinking of putting up a small canopy or carport on the side of the house to keep some of the weather off of the trailer when it is not being used. Might even get a cover for the trailer. Wish the garage was tall enough to park it inside.
Anyway, do any of you out there have a carport or canopy to park your trailer under? If so, what kind do you have? As for a cover for the trailer, what are you folks using?
Thank you for the help. We are excited - it's going to be a long three months!
Rocky R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Great--Hope ypu have many great days using it
Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
woohoo, I get to be the first on the forum to congratulate you on the new hatchling! The next three months are going to be full of anticipation

I have an 18x25 carport that I park the trailer under. It's a metal Tuff Shed over an asphalt pad. No cloth cover over the trailer needed. Besides it's too windy out here in East County and a cover would scratch the finish on the trailer.

Again!

On Edit: Hey I was typing too slow...Ches beat me too it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Rocky,
In your anxiety, try to avoid purchasing too many outfitting "goodies". There are many stories about arriving at the factory to pick up their Casita with a whole carload which became unnecessary items in hindsight.
That said, enjoy the anticipation, it's part of the cost of admission.
We actually shopped around for closer to 3 years (in truth, it was mostly me) before deciding a 17' Casita was the appropriate choice.
We add our congratulations to what will probably soon become a lengthy list

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Congratulations on choosing a FGRV ... and yes, these next few months will pass slowly, but worth the wait. Wow, a brand, spanking new trailer to play in - what fun. Hope our travel paths cross in future - happy trails! L 'n D
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
After over two years of looking around these forums and countless phone calls to Carla at Casita, my wife and I ordered our 17' SD today. July 10th is our pickup date. We already have a few trips planned for the rest of the summer and fall. We also plan to spend a lot of weekends at our astronomy club's observatory.
While we are waiting, I am going to have a 30-amp power circuit installed on the side of the house where the trailer will be parked. We are thinking of putting up a small canopy or carport on the side of the house to keep some of the weather off of the trailer when it is not being used. Might even get a cover for the trailer. Wish the garage was tall enough to park it inside.
Anyway, do any of you out there have a carport or canopy to park your trailer under? If so, what kind do you have? As for a cover for the trailer, what are you folks using?
Thank you for the help. We are excited - it's going to be a long three months!
I bought a generic trailer cover (for trailers up to 20'), and it works fine. My wife wants to order the cover that's made specifically for a Casita, so that's in next year's budget.

I would suggest a carport-type roof, also. We don't have one, but are thinking of having one built. Since we bought the cover for the trailer, we've found that it stays clean and doesn't streak from the rain, and the wax holds up for much longer.

The guy who talked me into buying a Casita has his stored in a covered carport. It does make a difference, I think, and I would recommend it.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Congrats! I know you are going to enjoy it!

I use a King Canopy II (12x20) with bricks underneath it. Actually, mine is a less expensive version of it, but it does okay. I'd advise going with one that isn't prone to rusting, because I had to paint mine after the first year. Also, don't skimp on the tarp. I bought a cheaper replacement that was actually made for it and it barely lasted one year. Save yourself the anguish and get a better one from the get go, that way the wind won't tear it up and it will last longer than one season. Mine is staked and guy-wired.

The only reason I went with that one instead of a hard-roofed model (Tuff Shed) is because I wasn't sure if it was going to work, so I didn't want the initial outlay (and I wasn't sure how my neighbors would react).

Having it covered has been a tremendous asset and I wouldn't do without it; however, mine still gets very dusty from blowing dirt. That doesn't really bother me, though. It washes off very easily and I like having it where I can work on it even in the bad weather.

This picture is a little dark, but you might be able to tell something from it. I really like having the 12 x 20 vs the 10 x 20. It allows me to keep the door open even if it's raining.
Attached Thumbnails
corralnewedit.JPG  
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote