We're a two-trailer family - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
A longish story. Those who know me, know that I'm not one to use 10 words if 1000 will do.

In the spring of '05, shortly after buying my first FGRV (and first RV, at that) I'm driving along I-84 through Ontario, Oregon at about 70 mph. Across 4 lanes of traffic, a fence, a frontage road, and what looks like a back yard, I see the unmistakable shape of a molded fiberglass trailer. I don't know what it is, because until then I've only seen Scamps, Casitas, and one Li'l Bigfoot in the wild. (Pictures don't count.). The only thing I'm sure of is that it is bigger than mine, and it looks sort of sad and neglected. I think briefly about stopping and having a look, but I'm in a hurry with almost 400 miles to go. I'd have to pull off at the next exit and go exploring to find it. Time-consuming, that would be. "Next time." I think.

Seems like I make the round trip between Salt Lake and Portland 3-4 times a year. For the next 4 years, every trip I look to see if it's there, and it is ...still sad and neglected, and I still don't recognize it. And each trip I say to myself "No time. Next trip. This time I really mean it.". And of course, each trip I don't stop. So many miles, so little time. In 2006 it disappears at first glance, but no, it's hiding behind an Arctic Fox that wasn't there before, with just its nose poking out.

Last month, just before the Oregon Gathering, I'm coming back from Salt Lake. As I'm passing the trailer, I glance at the time. **GASP** I'm ahead of schedule! I look to the right -- my wife is asleep. I look at the sky -- no rain. Not too hot, either. It's never going to get better than this, opportunity-wise. I take the next exit, find the frontage road, backtrack a couple of miles, and there it is: a molded FGRV that I absolutely don't recognize. At all. And by now I've seen most of them live. Hmmm. I park in the shade so that the sleeping wife doesn't par-boil, and climb out to have a look.

I poke around the trailer a little. It's sitting in a carpark attached to a 5-home mobile home park. I'm not smart enough to always have a camera with me, but the Palm Pilot has a camera in it. Not great but better than nothing, so I take some snaps. Then I go into the junk .....sorry, collectibles........store next door and ask if they know the owner. "Yep, he lives in the blue mobile over there. You'll like him."

Emboldened by the many tales on the forum of people finding neglected trailers and knocking on doors, I knock on the door of the blue mobile home. An elderly gentleman answers and welcomes me in. This surprises me a little, it being 2008 and all, but I enter a neatly kept living room. Turns out the gentleman has very poor vision, and perhaps thought I was someone else. At any rate, I introduce myself and ask to look at his trailer. He digs out his keys (a lengthy process) and out we go. He shows me around the outside again, and then we go in and poke around some more. He doesn't know when it was built, only the name: Traveleze. Me: "Traveleze? Never heard of it. Hmm. An orphan?" He's not sure of the year, but I find an old diagram in a closet that leads me to believe it's a '73. I'm pretty impressed at the fittings. This was a high-end trailer for an FGRV of the era: Fridge, shower and toilet, big gaucho bed, 4-person dinette, 4 burner stove with oven, double sink, tile backsplash in the galley. The interior is entirely stick built. Nice. No mold or mildew. Well-used, but not abused. Some minor damage on the outside, and the door frame is separating, and the rather bad amateur paint job looks like the heartbreak of psoriasis, but not bad overall.

Would he be interested in selling the trailer, I wonder. Turns out the gentleman and his wife were Rv'ers before I was born, and always had a trailer or motorhome. In the past few years they had to downsize several times due to her difficulties getting around. Finally he purchased this little guy because it was close to the ground and was easier for her to get into. Unfortunately, she entered a nursing home, and the trailer hasn't moved in 2 years. He's definitely interested in selling, but he feels the need to consult with the wife, because it's really sort of hers in his mind. I agree completely and suggest that I'll call in a couple of weeks. Sounds good to him, we shake hands and off I go.

By the way, I did like him. Very pleasant fellow.

I wake up the wife. "I want that trailer!" We negotiate for 100 miles and come to equitable terms. So, I call in a couple of weeks, and he hasn't been able to get to the nursing home yet. Meanwhile, I do some research on the Internet, talk with Fred Simson and others at Bandon, and decide that I think I've found an orphan prototype from Traveleze's short-lived Boise factory that never got fielded because of the gas crisis in 1973. I call a week later, and he has talked to the wife, she wants to sell, and we come to a fair price. I'll admit to paying a little more than I should have (but not much), because I don't want anyone thinking I took advantage of "an 87-year-old blind guy", as he describes himself. Especially not me -- I have to shave once in a while, after all and it's hard without looking in the mirrior.. A 2-day road trip later, I've got the trailer home.

With the title in hand, I learn it's not a '73, it's a '67. It is a Traveleze, but it's not fiberglass. It's "Royalex". It's one of about 100 molded trailers that Traveleze made in conjunction with U.S. Rubber (Uniroyal) in '65 & '66. When I got close enough to that diagram that misled me from deep in the electrical cabinet, I see that the "73" referred to something else entirely.

So, instead of an old MFGRV, I've found an old MPPRV. (Petroleum Product. ) Still pretty cool. And nice lines, I think.

A few numbers:

Length: 18' (bumper to hitch)
Width: 7' (includes a structural bulge)
Height: 8' 1" (minus vents of various sorts)
Interior width: 81" (ignoring the bulge)
Interior Length: 178" (still ignoring that bulge)
Interior height: 74.5" (Depends where you measure, but max 74.5")
Weight: 3440lb (at Port of Vancouver commercial scales) Not a lightweight -- a lot of iron on board.
Tongue weight: 380lb

My copilot for most of the trips mentioned:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0464.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	15300
Old 08-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #2

A few pictures of the outside. And some guy that snuck into the picture

Name:	DSCF0444.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	15301

Name:	DSCF0468.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	15302

Name:	DSCF0469.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	15303

Name:	DSCF0476.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	15304

Name:	DSCF0477.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	15305
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #3

I plan to completely, or almost completely rebuild the interior. That sink and backsplash have to stay, though.

Name:	DSCF0555.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	15306

Looking forward across from the galley. The galley is on the door side, the fridge and bathroom are across from the door.

Name:	DSCF0574.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	15307

Nice big bed in the rear. But go figure: I finally get a trailer that's tall enough and the bed is too short. Good thing I'm planning to rebuild.

Name:	DSCF0586.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	15308

The dinette, looking forward.

Name:	DSCF0614.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	15311

For all you folks who have strong feelings about one power convertor or another, it could be worse. And here, it is worse. In the coat closet, no less.

Name:	DSCF0632.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	15310

The shell is multilayered. It looks like foam between two hard layers, but in fact the "foam" is hard also.

Name:	DSCF0681.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	15314
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0656.jpg   DSCF0603.jpg  

Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 PM   #4

I found an old advert from 1965 for the trailer on eBay. I didn't manage to get the advert, but I did get the image.

Name:	uniroyal652royaltraveler.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	15315

Pretty posh camping. I'd like to look that good at the end of the day. And having my wife attractively dressed in a nice skirt and blouse? Priceless!
Attached Thumbnails
uniroyalroyaltraveler.jpg  
Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
WOW!

I would classify that as a "Find".

Congradulations!

Man, ...... would I ever like to in on that rebuild. Too bad I live in Kentucky. (the commute is a killer, .... I use to work some in Portland)
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
Nice find, Dave!
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is just too cool. I can't wait to see this trailer in person We've seen far newer trailers is a lot worse state.

Take lots and lots of pics of the rehab Dave and share with us the process
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
wow.. your stop sure payed off.. what a find!!! sweeeeet!!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #9

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Congratulations Dave on your find! The pictures are wonderful. Hope to see it at future NOG's. Does the wife like it enough to join us at the gatherings?

Chris & Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
WOW. Too cool!

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Awesome! At least it's molded. The one I looked at recently in Hemet wasn't.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Wow... neat trailer! For those of you who might not be aware, Royalex is still a very popular material for canoes. It's light like fiberglass, but is able to withstand serious impact. Whitewater canoes made of Royalex can get wrapped around rocks and pop back to something pretty close to their original shape after sitting in the sun for a bit. I wonder why the idea never took off... perhaps it was more expensive to build out of than fiberglass? At any rate, it looks like an awesome trailer... and an interesting piece of history as well!
Matthew Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I found an old advert from 1965 for the trailer on eBay. I didn't manage to get the advert, but I did get the image.

Attachment 15315

Pretty posh camping. I'd like to look that good at the end of the day. And having my wife attractively dressed in a nice skirt and blouse? Priceless!
What a find. What I like is that she also looks to have on high heels and he is also so sharply dressed after probably fishing, chopping wood and building the evening fire.
Veda Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
That is a very nice trailer! I like the light interior - reminiscent of the birch-ply trailers of old - very light and airy. Royalex is a GREAT material - that is a super-duper find. Congratulations and keep those pictures coming! I look forward to seeing it restored to a useful life on the road! Al
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #15

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
What a find. What I like is that she also looks to have on high heels and he is also so sharply dressed after probably fishing, chopping wood and building the evening fire.
If I had that huge double sink and the tile backsplash I could be convinced to wear high heels camping too!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
If I had that huge double sink and the tile backsplash I could be convinced to wear high heels camping too!
I bought a double sink to install in our Scamp 5er. It, a new laminate counter top, some kind of backsplash and a cutting-board insert for the sink will go in sometime in the next year.

I can get white-tile look fiberboard. Lynne and I were just talking last night about clothes to pack and wear when we're out camping . . .
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
nice rig. I know that whitewater canoes are made of Roylex but I had no idea that it was fist being spec'd for trailers.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #18

Name: Sylvia
Trailer: Traveleze Uniroyal
Georgia
Hi Dave,

My husband and I just bought a Traveleze like yours. We'd love to learn more about them.

Sylvia
Sylvia A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Sylivia, This post is originally from 2008, but Dave is still an active member. If you would PM him (in case he doesn't see your reply to this post, I am sure he would respond).

But I would still encourage you to post about your trailer. (we like pic's here!) and love hearing about your trailer.

Also, Welcome to the forum's! Glad you found it.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #20

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
thats a cool find, and a sweet story. inspite of my first inclination to name it "sumo", that bamd reminds me of a sumo belt.....
i would clean it up...and name it after the old guys wife. then send him a picture of it from a nice camp site. and promise him to always remember his lady and him, every time you use it.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote