weight of our loaded 16 foot Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #1

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
weight of our loaded 16 foot Scamp

I was curious, so last summer, we stopped at a truck scale and weighed our TV (2015 Honda Pilot) and our 16 foot Scamp that was loaded for camping.
Total weight: 7480 lbs.

Drive axle ( I assume is the loaded Pilot, since its curb weight is 4497) was 4960 lbs. This includes my husband and myself (just under 240 lbs combined) and our cooler, food, clothing and such.

Steer axle (I assume was the loaded Scamp) was 2520 lbs.
The Scamp held our mountain bikes (at about 55 lbs total) plus our pop up shelter, plus our lounger camp chairs, a small microwave, and various and sundry dishes, heater, small fan, lantern, camp stove and so on.

Since I have seen so many postings about people wondering what they can tow, and the "dry weight" of the Scamp is 1750 lbs., thought this might be helpful. BTW, we did NOT have water in our tank, since we had hookups at the campground.

So, one might expect to add 7-800 lbs to dry weight.
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Yes thank you for reminding people that the dry weight number is not much help. My Scamp 16 comes in about the same as yours. I did find that the tongue weight is on the light side, and I have to think about how I load it to maintain 10-12% on the tongue.

Another reminder... the database of FB campers that were weighed in use, so that the weights were realistic. See:
Trailer Weights in the Real World
and a nice spreadsheet that lets you sort the data:
http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
2000 Scamp 16 dlx Wt.

Ours was 2525 lb total with 2240 lb on the axle, and 285 on the hitch

Truck scales are not very accurate, or at least don't have the sensitivity, to weigh small loads. You might do better at a feed store or elevator.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Our 16' Scamp weighed 2,540 lbs lightly loaded and carrying one propane tank and full fresh water and hot water tanks. We had to keep it that light whenever towing with our Subaru Outback (2700 lb tow limit).
Once we retired, we put both propane tanks on, have a heavier 12 volt golf cart battery (155 amps) and carry more "stuff" for our longer trips. Our little 16' Scamp now weighs 2,920 lbs! We still carry at least a half tank of fresh water and a full hot water tank.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyrnfit View Post
I was curious, so last summer, we stopped at a truck scale and weighed our TV (2015 Honda Pilot) and our 16 foot Scamp that was loaded for camping.
Total weight: 7480 lbs.

Drive axle ( I assume is the loaded Pilot, since its curb weight is 4497) was 4960 lbs. This includes my husband and myself (just under 240 lbs combined) and our cooler, food, clothing and such.

Steer axle (I assume was the loaded Scamp) was 2520 lbs.
The Scamp held our mountain bikes (at about 55 lbs total) plus our pop up shelter, plus our lounger camp chairs, a small microwave, and various and sundry dishes, heater, small fan, lantern, camp stove and so on.

Since I have seen so many postings about people wondering what they can tow, and the "dry weight" of the Scamp is 1750 lbs., thought this might be helpful. BTW, we did NOT have water in our tank, since we had hookups at the campground.

So, one might expect to add 7-800 lbs to dry weight.
When we weighed ours, we got three weights from three zones. Our "Steer axle" was the front of our tow vehicle, the "drive axle" was the rear wheels of the truck, and the "trailer axle" was the actual Scamp axle. We had 2600 lbs on the Scamp axle and 320 lbs of the tongue weight was part of the "drive axle" weight.
If you don't have a "drive axle" weight listed, then maybe the rear axle of the tow vehicle and the trailer tires were on the same weight scale?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, weight