Well I thought I had my choice figured out... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

Name: Brittany
Trailer: Casita
Illinois
Well I thought I had my choice figured out...

We thought we were set on a 2020 Casita Spirit Standard but are now questioning our decision after seeing a Scamp 19.

We’re a young family of four to hopefully expand in the near future.

At first didn’t care about having no bathroom but after much thought it’d be nice for those times of not having access to bathrooms.

The extra room/sleeping space is an obvious benefit.

Yes, the Casita seems to have nicer finishings but my husband is quite handy and can make improvements/modifications as we see fit.

I need help!!
bpowell487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowell487 View Post
We thought we were set on a 2020 Casita Spirit Standard but are now questioning our decision after seeing a Scamp 19.

We’re a young family of four to hopefully expand in the near future.

At first didn’t care about having no bathroom but after much thought it’d be nice for those times of not having access to bathrooms.

The extra room/sleeping space is an obvious benefit.

Yes, the Casita seems to have nicer finishings but my husband is quite handy and can make improvements/modifications as we see fit.

I need help!!
Are you okay with a pickup trick as a tow vehicle? It'll probably be full-sized, since when you get to five you'll probably find the back of a mid-size truck pretty small.

Are you okay with having your main cargo area taken up with the fifth wheel loft? You may be able to fit some small items around the hitch, but they'll be unprotected.

If you have a pet, where will the pet ride? I like having the enclosed, climate controlled cargo space in an SUV-type vehicle for pets or other cargo.

Tough decision. Fifth wheel campers have some decided advantages for space and towing stability, and the Scamp 19 can be a really good value used, but vans and SUV's make better family tow vehicles than trucks.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #3

Illinois
We have an F150 for a tow vehicle.

Uncovered cargo/limited storage is a concern.

Ugh...
Old 01-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Family of four and growing? The non molded FG trailers start making sense like hybrids. Also towing with a full size van and then putting a couple of air mattresses inside. Or introduce the kids to the wonders of tents and save the trailer for mom and dad. In the “good old days” mom and dad got the small camper and us kids were all in tents.

If you want to go molded FG fifth wheel, then the Escape 5.0 TA is a nice choice.

We would own a fifth wheel if we could live without the storage space of our pickup with a camper top.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The Scamp 5er will pull nicely with any properly equipped mid-sized truck.
Some even offer a 6ft box with a 4DR cab.
Check out the Deluxe if you want the best interior finish on the market.
A couple of Rubbermaid tubs should carry everthing you need if you pack the trailer properly and still leave room for chairs and stuff.
Lots of choices... look at them all.

One hint which I think will help...
When I sell one I usually invite the buyer(s) to spend an hour or so inside the trailer by themselves , to get a feel for it.
Also watch what videos you can on each prospect.

Don't worry.... if you buy a 5 year or older fiberglass trailer for your first one, it will likely resell for what you pay if you find it doesn't work for you.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #6

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We have an Escape 5th wheel. The loss of space is not as much as those who've never owned one think you lose. If something needs to be kept dry it's in a Rubbermaid container. There are so many waterproof boxes available these days we can find one for just about anything.

Our Andersen 5th wheel hitch takes up less space than a conventional hitch. I figure we lose a cubic foot. We have the rail version. The gooseneck version takes up more space though.

Had a topper with our Casita and really didn't carry anymore. Notice I said "didn't" not "couldn't.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Well I thought I had my choice figured out...

For me it’s not the quantity of storage (the back of an SUV has less), but the fact that it’s unprotected. Depends on what you’re carrying, though. Some things- generator and gas can, canopy and chairs, grills- are better carried in the open.

I’m sure it could be worked out, especially since you already have a suitable truck. Adapt and make do. The biggest issue I can see is bicycles. If you want to bring them for the whole family, you really need the full cargo bed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #8

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
I totally get your frustration. We looked for a long time, starting with Class B, then truck camper, then stumbling into a Bigfoot. In an earlier post I wrote, "The point I want to share, is to take the time to define what you want and need in a camping solution. And then shop for as long as it takes, which may be a while (up to a year) but don’t put it off too long or the kids will be grown and gone. You’ll know it when you see what works... be ready to buy when you find it."

I don't think the camper has to fit all the kids, and when they're older they probably want their own space, and a tent gives them that. If I was in an expanding family, we'd have a smaller trailer and a van for the TV (the kids could decide between tent or air mattress in the van). Then when the kids grow up the TV downsizes, and you can keep the same trailer.

It might be backwards (why not downsize the camper in a decade?) but I think it's easier (and cheaper) to maintain an old *fiberglass* camper than an old TV.

Good luck!
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #9

Illinois
Thank you all for your replies.

I think we've decided to stick with the 2020 17' Casita Spirit Standard.

It has everything we need and nothing we don't...I'll probably shoot myself in the foot for not getting a camper with a bathroom but growing up we had a pop up and I never remember hearing complaints.

My girls are 5 and 3 so it'll be awhile before tenting by themselves is an option
Old 01-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Brittany,

One other option that you might consider is a Scamp16 Deluxe Layout A
with a no-cost swap of front sofa/bunk-beds for the usual front dinette.
We tow ours easily with a 2016 F-150 Supercab 4x2 2.7L Ecoboost.

With the full size (52-54" bed in back and the bunk beds in front, that
combination gives sleeping space for 4 or 5, a small side bathroom, a
fairly large refrigerator (with freezer compartment) and lots of storage
space.

If you call Scamp trailers (800-346-4962), ask for Wayne Pitlick.

Pix of our 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe (oak) with front sofa/bunks can be
found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...EVhNVo1VHQ0WFU

When we are in sofa mode, I installed a Lagun table (https://www.lagunusa.com/ )
to provide indoor dining space during really inclement weather.

Good luck with your decisions!

Ray D.
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
BTW -

The bed of our F-150 is covered with a 4-panel folding tonneau cover
(BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover ?) and we also have some unused covered storage
behind the front seats in the Supercab. When we lock the truck doors,
the stuff under the tonneau cover is also secure. (to open the cover you
have to unlock the truck and at least slightly open the tailgate.

If you need to haul something taller, you can fold back sections of the
cover.

The Lagun table (I put a better finish on it after the pix were taken)
swivels forward to double as extra food prep space or tucks back
over the unusable portion of the sofa to become a side table, side
shelf, or arm rest. (Note that, if you buy/use the Lagun table mount,
you will need to create your own table top.)

We are in the Kansas City metro area.

(Just FYI - Floyd has actually been inside of our trailer. )

Again .... Good luck on whatever you decide!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote