Went to look at a ParkLiner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I hope it doesn't take me a full day, but I don't doubt it might. I'll start early on a Saturday morning and hope to have it done by supper!

On the positive side, I did find out the wire color for the brake light switch - violet with a brown stripe! Everything else is standard stuff.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #22
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I hope it doesn't take me a full day, but I don't doubt it might. I'll start early on a Saturday morning and hope to have it done by supper!

On the positive side, I did find out the wire color for the brake light switch - violet with a brown stripe! Everything else is standard stuff.

Frank
Take pictures and post what you do and how you do it. Others will be greatful. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #23

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
...It will be the perfect RV for folks like us...
A couple of weeks will mark cari's & my 5th month of camping adventures with our Parkliner... still pinching ourselves each trip. It's a great fit for our style of camping.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Frank, you know you won't be satisfied unless you do it yourself, and I know that you do a perfect job on what you do. Ive had to redo a few "professionaly done" wiring jobs because to make money they were done in a hurry. As for Raz's comment about the wire loom, I use it myself, but have found it can cause a problem. Working on big trucks I have seen many times where the wires or air lines will vibrate inside that currogated loom, and you'll get all little grooves worn into the wire insulation exposing bare wire which then corrodes and breaks.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #25

New York
Thanks for that Bob! By golly, yer an okay fella!

I'm not looking forward to it, but am planning for it and will do the best I can. I pretty much know where to run the wires, where stuff is I need to hook to, where to mount the controller. What I need to find out now is how to remove interior body panels and replace them with no damage.

After the financial shock of buying this tug, I can't afford the kit right now anyways, but soon. In the meantime, it's figuring out these panels.

But you're right - I'd really rather do it myself.

Take care you two!

Frank
Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Frank, figuring out the panels can be a problem. Most newer vehicles don't use screws to make it easy for us, usually it's some snap together device, and it's where do I pull or pry to get it apart without breaking something. Good luck with it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #27

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Still on Escape wiring...
The brake controller manufacturers often supply wiring information - such as the colours of the wires at the brake pedal switch for various specific vehicles - as part of their support service.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #28

New York
Better yet Brian, I called the Ford garage, and also had it verified on an Escape forum I joined. Violet with brown stripe.

As Raz suggests, I will post pics and an explanation when I do it.

Frank
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Better yet Brian, I called the Ford garage...
Since dealerships routinely sub out towing equipment installations to hitch shops, I wouldn't count on a Ford dealer having the answer; I'm glad that they did in this case.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #30

New York
Well, to us, it was a towing equipment install, but to Ford, they need to know what all the wires do in all their vehicles. I knew they would have it somewhere, but no clue where. I would imagine everything is online nowadays, and that's where the 2013 Escape wiring diagram was. Used to be they would get dealer manuals years ago with complete wiring diagrams, and for all I know, they still do. But they had to know. They're the Ford garage!

Went up to my buddy's garage last night to get new tires on the truck I'm selling, and was talking with him about it. He couldn't believe Ford didn't have a plug in 7 pin adapter, or at least the wires taped up under the dash (that's the way my truck came, all the wires to hook in a brake controller taped to the top of the steering column). He's not a fan of tying into factory wiring, but of course, I have no choice in the matter. What was Ford thinking?

Frank
Old 08-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #31

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
My wrangler is the same way, it's a pain in the butt
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:49 AM   #32

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
My Rav4 has the tow package but same thing...not wired so I paid a local trailer place to do the install.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #33

New York
I'm paying myself to do it. I don't charge much...

Frank

Tags
parkliner