We're Leaving the Molded Fiberglass World - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2022, 06:57 PM   #41

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay.

I was implying that I would start with kind of the layout and setup of my 16 foot scamp. Then like add 4 foot and make that bed. At the same time I would then add an additional kitchen. (on burner stove stove and sink mostly) out the outside. Not move the kitchen but add an additional one.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Not move the kitchen but add an additional one.
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Camp kitchen.jpg  
Old 02-06-2022, 08:47 AM   #43

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
I'm Back!

Just posting to remind newcomers of the inTech Sol axle-mount problem, which drove me away from my order of a Sol Horizon at the eleventh hour. See this Update thread, announcing my return to the Molded Fiberglass Fold:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...old-97728.html

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:45 PM   #44

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Like this?

But that has to be setup and assembled. And most places I camp don't have a picnic table. That is a big part of what I would be looking for is a built in table.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #45

I have a folding aluminum table for such situations. I'm not assembling anything. I just place on the table.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:14 PM   #46

Indiana
Quote:
Like this?

I think you are missing the point. The idea is to have the table and the kitchen all designed into a single hatch or something on the camper. Your idea has a while lot of other things to pack up and haul and also then unpack and setup and then pack back up and haul.

You have to realize my camper is my incident "go bag". It is pretty much ready to go with clothing, gear, even medications for a few days. I have food, but usually want better, but if that is not possible I have that.

I generally take a full tank of water and two 6 gallon jugs, and that takes like an hour to bleach, rinse and go. But I want it to have as few additional things as possible. And if I have to move with my plan I would just have to secure a couple things and close the hatch and go. Your plan I have to pack everything and the table.

Your plan doesn't have a sink and it is not plumbed to the gray water.

Larger campers usually have this. Just have thought it would be nice to have for a smaller camper.

PS I already have a simi built in TV viewable from the outside. (kind of)
Old 02-06-2022, 04:09 PM   #47

You already have a hatch that gives you access to the kitchen. It's called a door.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #48

Indiana
Quote:
You already have a hatch that gives you access to the kitchen. It's called a door.

Definately missing the point. Access a small version of the kitchen while you are outside still.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Definately missing the point. Access a small version of the kitchen while you are outside still.
I'm not missing the point. I get it. I just don't see it as practical. Another leak point to little advantage.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:03 PM   #50

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
I'm not missing the point. I get it. I just don't see it as practical. Another leak point to little advantage.
Well, in the inTech Sol Horizon line, which I abandoned, they do have the option of an external hatch with a griddle and a 12v fridge/freezer that slides out. It's kinda cool, but it's toward the back where the style of the camper doesn't let the awning extend over it—oops!

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:04 PM   #51

Indiana
Quote:

Then you can't design very well.

A lot of negatives here. But a good design would not produce a a leak point at least into the camper. Might leak into the kitchen area. But they design tear drop campers to do this without a leak all the time.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:24 PM   #52

Quote:
TBut they design tear drop campers to do this without a leak all the time.
So, buy one.
Do they have an inside kitchen?
Old 02-06-2022, 06:39 PM   #53

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Well, in the inTech Sol Horizon line, which I abandoned, they do have the option of an external hatch with a griddle and a 12v fridge/freezer that slides out. It's kinda cool, but it's toward the back where the style of the camper doesn't let the awning extend over it—oops!

I was thinking about that. I had thought about putting it under the canopy. But that seemed to me like as you said to get a leak. I did think about that and wanted the outside stuff well outside and blocked from the inside. I have thought of having the unit got about a foot longer on the outside then the inside. Sacrifice the back window. Then having about 1 or 2 foot of the extra bed length be sealed off with fiberglass from the inside and had as you said a slide out section. There would be some kind of shelves with some strapping on the upper area in that extra area for stuff.

Then I would have a back lid hatch that opened up like a tear drop and like a tear drop becomes a kind of a canopy.

OK yeah I have been thinking about this for a while. Now a tear drop has a massively different back than most fiberglass trailers which are more like, as a friend of mine says, are a "white baby air stream".
Old 02-06-2022, 06:41 PM   #54

Indiana
Quote:
So, buy one.
Do they have an inside kitchen?

You are definitely don't understand and I have to wonder if that is on purpose. Obviously the inside pf a tear drop is more like a bed on wheels without anything else. Definitely not want I am wanting.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:44 PM   #55

Indiana
I have also through about my theoretical small extra kitchen on the outside being about a foot or so narrower than the camper with the hatch/cover being the same width as the camper so the kitchen area is well under the cover. And then have just storage bays on either side sealed from the kitchen area but accessible from the rear.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:37 PM   #56

Indiana
OK I might have a different need than most. But then again it probably is not more on the extreme end of what people do. After all you get into like the next size bigger travel trailers and they in one way or do exactly that in a lot of cases. They do have the extra kitchen. But they also will not go at times where I do.

I do incident response volunteer work. And I use my trailer for work and some other things where I camp where people pretty much never camp. I camp at work site where I supervise getting ready for equipment installation I will be in charge of and I am in charge of making sure the prep is done right. I hate hotels and I hate air planes. The TSA does not deal well with my extra parts. And it is a marketing advantage. No you don't have to rent me a hotel or pay me to. And I can be on site for several days as need be. You just have to find me three parking spots hopefully near power. Being near potable water is helpful. And since I am parked at the site and you are running 25 hours a day (a lot of them do or I hit a camp ground or something) I am not at the hotel if the crew has a question after hours.

I also use my camper as a office when I do some audit work. Again all you have to do is come up with three parking spots and power. And that way when I have meetings we use a conference room, but when I am just working I am not taking one of your sales conference rooms. Again a nice sales tool.

Then I do a lot of volunteer work with emergency and disaster response. Those a seldom have a lot of warning about. So keeping my camper ready makes for a nice way to do a go pack. Pretty much everyone doing this kind of volunteer work keeps a go bag. Mine is just massive bigger, but also massively better. I come with my own about everything. I am not taking a bed in a shelter, or taking a hotel room or motel room that is in short supply. My camper has been some very interesting places. It has been behind a dozer getting into an area where we need to work before. (Yeah uncle same pays insurance for this, but have never need it. A scamp is a trooper) Once there I need to be able to have a normal vehicle. And I need more than a camper van would provide and need to be smaller than that anyway. But then things change and where my camper and camp is might become less safe than desired and I need to move fairly quickly. Or they need me and my "office" at a new location. So I pack up and move regularly when on an incident.

Now while on an incident it is very useful to be comfortable. And the outside thing could help with that. Also I some times have to deal with helping people who are out with me and not as prepared. Some times that is done in my camper. Some times I would rather the inside be for me. And it is nice to be able to cook and socialize when off duty with more people than fit comfortably in a 16 foot trailer.

Does that help some of you understand.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:47 AM   #57

Name: Mike
Trailer: None currently
Virginia
What are you towing with? Any extra room there?

What about having the outdoor kitchen mounted in the tow vehicle? Lots of designs out there for outdoor kitchens mounted in pickups, vans, SUVs, even station wagons.

-Mike
FloridaNativeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:56 AM   #58

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNativeMike View Post
What are you towing with? Any extra room there?

What about having the outdoor kitchen mounted in the tow vehicle? Lots of designs out there for outdoor kitchens mounted in pickups, vans, SUVs, even station wagons.

-Mike

Right now, jeep commander. But normally it is full of tools and stuff.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #59

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Goodness, incidents have become more luxurious as time goes by. My experience was sleeping on the ground in a tent, unless I got a cushier job at the airport, where a motel room was available. Meals were sack lunches or catered in camp, or...MREs. Everywhere is different though.

I'd keep it simple. That means maybe a backpacking stove and collapsible dish pan. A battery powered fan, lawn chair and small quickly collapsible table would suffice, if you want to be outside to do stuff. All this is widely available and easy to throw in and get out quickly and by other folks if you are somewhere else. (Speaking as one who was out digging fireline while hearing that our camp, with my supply of CLEAN socks was being evacuated.) I'd keep it simple if you are concerned about evacuating an area quickly. Very simple. But, that's just me, and I do understand about making things comfortable in such situations. You have to weigh comfort vs conveniance and come up with what is going to work. For me, that would be stuff that can be thrown in the back of a truck with trailer hitched up.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #60

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Here is my practical solution for an "outdoor kitchen". Not a complete kitchen, but very useful and practical. A tire table and a Blackstone, with a propane quick connect and an awning overhead. The compressor fridge is just inside the door and bottled water sits on the table outside.

This setup turns out excellent hot meals for us and friends. The table folds flat in seconds and the Blackstone can either stow in the pass through or the back of the truck. The tire table does not require level or smooth ground. The awning keeps it all out of the rain or out of the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
1 copy 6.jpeg  

Tags
vin