west coast - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
west coast

After the Javelina roundup May 8 , We are planing on going to the west coast California , Oregon , Washington. and return through Las Vegas back home to the river valley.
Question is what to see,do, and where to stay ? It looks like Calif. is going to be very expensive ,I can`t imagine what gas prices will be , I am a Casita host I hope I can find a few along the way . also any input into where to stay inexpensive (CHEEP) RV parks thanks so munch in advance

Bama & Pachyderm Posse , Herschel, Darlene, Tinkerbell
Old 04-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There's so much to see in that area. Starting with Eureka, CA. We always stay at the fair grounds because it's inexpensive and adequate. The Redwoods are a must. So many good walking trails and state parks. If in Eureka go to Samoa to the Smokehouse for great family style food. It's a one off place. On the causyway road to Samoa, there's an island with a marina that has excellent seafood. In Eureka on route 101 is Mike's hamburger joint, it's famous for it's Garlic fries, shakes and great burgers - be sure to get the fries.

Ferndale is a special town just south of Eureka known for an amazing collection of Victorian Houses, a unique town. It also has another secret the Petrolia road. An old coastal loop road well worth the ride through a part of CA most never see.

Crescent City is also a nice area. We particularly like Rt 199 north of Crescent, great trails and trees.

North on Rt 101 in OR. This is one of the best RV roads in the USA. Brookings has a marvelous state park just north of town right on the coast. Actually there are a number of them right up the coast. We always spend time in Florence. There's a nice town park overlooking the ocean in Florence plus other more normal parks.

Port Orford is a favorite of ours. We stay in town at one of the campgrounds but there is a great state park just north of town, Cape Blanco State Park. It is a great place with massive cliffs, just wonderful. We always eat at the Crazy Norwegian on 101.

Theirs a little road to another vista, to the end of county 244. I've collected 100's of agates on this beach.

Most Egg campers know about Bandon, OR. Cute town and state parks in the area.

There are many places to stop along 101, one could easily spend a long time here. We follow it thru the WA coast.

Not to dominate, The last two places I'll mention is Valley of Fire near Vegas. We usually stay at Lake Mead. Very low cost camping.

Hope this helps.

Norms
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Maybe some of these will be of help in selecting where you want to go:

Parks West- United States National Parks

American Southwest Sites- List of Sites--American Southwest--A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Must See in New Mexico- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: "Must see" in your state

New Mexico State Parks- New Mexico State Parks

NM Byways- New Mexico

Tucson Plus- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Best (warmest?) snowbird spot in southern Arizona?

Composite WestTX, NM, SouthAZ- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Where to go (west) after San Antonio, TX

Los Angeles to San Francisco- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Suggestions for Santa Barbera to San Francisco. .

Pacific NorthWest- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Where to go? Oregon "Wife Says"

In case you are hungry if you get to Las Cruces, Southern NM style Mexican Food is the best you will find anywhere. IMHO.
Las Cruces area NM Mexican food plus camping and attractions in the area. Leasburg Dam State Park near Las Cruces, nice desert camping above the Rio Grande if needing a different place to stay in the area. Fort Selden State Monument is just next door as well. Ft. Selden was the boyhood home of Gen. Douglas McArthur. Aguirre Spring BLM Campground -LasCruces

Overnighting Sites- Overnight RV Parking - A Helping Guide

Free or Almost Free Campgrounds- Free Campgrounds for RVs

Free Campsites- Free RV Camping. Free Campsites, Campgrounds and Boondocking Locations

Boondocking Sites- Boondocking sites – Free places to park for the night | Has Been There

We stayed at Carpinteria State Park when we wanted to see things around Santa Barbara in 2006. Twelve miles south of Santa Barbara, Carpinteria State Beach offers a mile of beach for swimming, surf fishing, tidepool exploring and camping. Carpinteria was a nice one with long beach area & a dump site and they had some full hookups which were somewhat parking lot like campsites; but very close to the water. The ones with out hookups & farthest back along the park road are the nicest, up on a small "bluff". But Carpinteria SB also has Enroute Overnighting. Carp SB

We also stayed at McGrath State Park between Ventura and Oxnard in 2006. A very nice campground with trees & shade, a wooded, bamboo area with trails. A small river running by not far, not too neat a river. McGarth was a good place to base for seeing Ventura & Oxnard. We enjoyed it there as we did Carp and Mugu. We drove to the Getty Villa from Mugu. But Carrillo might be a nicer place to try of the two. But Mugu is close enough to see Ventura & Oxnard & Getty Villa / Malibu. The CA State Parks are costly now for sure.

State Park Fees

Two Santa Barbara County Parks with Camping. Never been to them but have heard good things about Jalama Beach Park. But the last I read about Jalama, they are doing "improvements" and these may make it less user friendly to those who like first come, first served camping.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Maybe some of these will be of help in selecting where you want to go:

Parks West- United States National Parks

American Southwest Sites- List of Sites--American Southwest--A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Must See in New Mexico- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: "Must see" in your state

New Mexico State Parks- New Mexico State Parks

NM Byways- New Mexico

Tucson Plus- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Best (warmest?) snowbird spot in southern Arizona?

Composite WestTX, NM, SouthAZ- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Where to go (west) after San Antonio, TX

Los Angeles to San Francisco- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Suggestions for Santa Barbera to San Francisco. .

Pacific NorthWest- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Where to go? Oregon "Wife Says"

In case you are hungry if you get to Las Cruces, Southern NM style Mexican Food is the best you will find anywhere. IMHO.
Las Cruces area NM Mexican food plus camping and attractions in the area. Leasburg Dam State Park near Las Cruces, nice desert camping above the Rio Grande if needing a different place to stay in the area. Fort Selden State Monument is just next door as well. Ft. Selden was the boyhood home of Gen. Douglas McArthur. Aguirre Spring BLM Campground -LasCruces

Overnighting Sites- Overnight RV Parking - A Helping Guide

Free or Almost Free Campgrounds- Free Campgrounds for RVs

Free Campsites- Free RV Camping. Free Campsites, Campgrounds and Boondocking Locations

Boondocking Sites- Boondocking sites – Free places to park for the night | Has Been There

We stayed at Carpinteria State Park when we wanted to see things around Santa Barbara in 2006. Twelve miles south of Santa Barbara, Carpinteria State Beach offers a mile of beach for swimming, surf fishing, tidepool exploring and camping. Carpinteria was a nice one with long beach area & a dump site and they had some full hookups which were somewhat parking lot like campsites; but very close to the water. The ones with out hookups & farthest back along the park road are the nicest, up on a small "bluff". But Carpinteria SB also has Enroute Overnighting. Carp SB

We also stayed at McGrath State Park between Ventura and Oxnard in 2006. A very nice campground with trees & shade, a wooded, bamboo area with trails. A small river running by not far, not too neat a river. McGarth was a good place to base for seeing Ventura & Oxnard. We enjoyed it there as we did Carp and Mugu. We drove to the Getty Villa from Mugu. But Carrillo might be a nicer place to try of the two. But Mugu is close enough to see Ventura & Oxnard & Getty Villa / Malibu. The CA State Parks are costly now for sure.

State Park Fees

Two Santa Barbara County Parks with Camping. Never been to them but have heard good things about Jalama Beach Park. But the last I read about Jalama, they are doing "improvements" and these may make it less user friendly to those who like first come, first served camping.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
After the Javelina roundup May 8 , We are planing on going to the west coast California , Oregon , Washington. and return through Las Vegas back home to the river valley.
Question is what to see,do, and where to stay ? It looks like Calif. is going to be very expensive ,I can`t imagine what gas prices will be , I am a Casita host I hope I can find a few along the way . also any input into where to stay inexpensive (CHEEP) RV parks thanks so munch in advance

Bama & Pachyderm Posse , Herschel, Darlene, Tinkerbell
How much time will you have?
Do you need hookups or are you interested in more out-of-the-way places?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Electric at least Francesca, every thing els is a + thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
Electric at least Francesca, every thing els is a + thanks
Is the power requirement because of your air conditioner, or are you traveling without a trailer battery? (I can't tell from your trailer profile pictures.)
I ask because I'm a determined Won't-Pay-To-Camp type and can pass along some beautiful FREE dry camping spots in Washington (depending on your itinerary) if you can get along without hookups some of the time.
I don't know about California or Oregon, but most places with power in Washington charge at least $30.00 a day.
Freecamping even part of the time can fast reduce your average cost per night!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I second Eureka, Crescent City and the Redwoods. Highway 50 across NV was an interesting ride.
Geo&Kat is offline   Reply With Quote