West National Parks Trip - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grin View Post
The states in the West are much larger than the East. For example Idaho is twice the size of New York. Driving 300 miles means you will often be in the same state.
Unfortunately I am well aware of that due to having crossed the country in 1971 on a 1948 Harley Chopper. That ride almost broke me then, to do it now would likely kill me. I had to carry an extra 3 gallons of gasoline in a container to sometimes make it to the next gasoline station.
The next time I crossed the country was in 1973 or four. This time my first wife and I hitchhiked. It was far more enjoyable than riding a chopper with little to no suspension.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Medicine Wheel in Wy. Worth a look, not for the faint of heart!
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #23

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
If you go all the way to the West coast, all parts of Olympic NP are memorable. The Hoh rainforest is unique. All the parks in Utah are special. Mesa Verde is another you won't see every day. Big Bend in TX is one of my favorites but it's way to hot to visit in the summer. Who knows what it will be like later this year but I'd do as much planning and reserving as I could ahead of time.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:16 PM   #24

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Second the Gifford Pinchot National Forest in the Randle/Packwood areas. I am very familiar with much of the Randle area. Iron Cr. Campground and North Fork may be full, but there are other primitive campgrounds and boondocking opportunities. It's an area that is a little bit farther from big cities so is often overlooked, except during the major camping holidays. The Cowlitz Valley Ranger Station would be a good source of info for you. Walupt Lake would also be full and I think it is a reservation campground, but the folks at the ranger station can answer your questions.

If you want full hookups for around $35 a night, west of Randle and close to Morton, WA is Taidnapom (I have trouble spelling that) campground which also takes reservations but I've lucked out dropping in a few times. It is also where a fiberglass rally takes place in normal years.

I do not recommend the private campgrounds in the immediate Randle area, however there is one out of "town" about 10 miles in the Cispus River area that was called U fish, because for a fee, you can fish in their stocked pond.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:41 PM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
As I read these responses it becomes more apparent that advance registrations would be necessary for camping in National or State Parks. This would be very difficult for us as our itinerary is not anything more than an approximation.
We once left Pittsburgh for Maine and stopped at a camp about 70 miles from home. We met nice people and lots of activities and stayed two weeks with the original intention of staying one night. Returning home last year from Florida we stopped at a camp in North Georgia with the intention of staying 5 to 7 days. We left 12 weeks later. Moving on when we are having a good time to meet the obligation of a reservation is not my idea of travel fun. Thus the reason we hated the one ocean cruise we tried. So, with that type of travel plan is boondocking or private campgrounds a viable option? We are not picky as we once stayed five nights at a Cracker Barrel.
Realize despite record RV sales, most of the National Park campsites were built decades ago, same with some of my favorite state parks. Its the old supply/demand relationship at play. Limited supply with ever increasing demand. I've been to some of the more popular national park campgrounds where half the sites were rental RVs with foreign visitors. I don't have a problem with that, just that as campers, we are competing against global visitors, not just local/regional or country wide visitors. Some of the rental companies have developed some nice itineraries for these visitors. Before Covid, many NPs were setting all time visitor records.

On our 12,000 mile trip to AK from NC, we had reservations at both Denali NP and Yellowstone on the return trip. You bet it took a lot of planning to get the right arrival days way in advance. We also had reservations at Liard Hot Springs and Elk Island Provincial Park. The old days of seat of the pants traveling are over. I miss them.

A lot of my favorite State and National Parks are dry camping. We tend to use the Walmart/Cracker Barrel over nights on the way to our destination or on the way home.

https://www.elmonterv.com/rv-rental/...al-itineraries
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:02 PM   #26

Name: Craig
Trailer: Bigfoot 25ft & 13ft Lil Bigfoot
British Columbia
Condors

Been to several of the NP listed but learning about so many more interesting places to go so am really enjoying this thread.
We went to Pinnacle National park in California S of San Jose. California Condors nest there, we were fortunate to see two soaring above the mountains two separate days. Small park, good hiking, lots of wildlife.
Bigfoot 0995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #27

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot 0995 View Post
Been to several of the NP listed but learning about so many more interesting places to go so am really enjoying this thread.

We went to Pinnacle National park in California S of San Jose. California Condors nest there, we were fortunate to see two soaring above the mountains two separate days. Small park, good hiking, lots of wildlife.

I have that on my must see list! Am enjoying thread too. Have never been to sequoia either.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:01 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Covid-19 is NOT going away anytime soon. That means in 2021, you're likely to run into "local" (state, county, town etc) rules / regulations that can easily throw a wrench into your plans (just one more "consideration" you're likely going to have to deal with). As I write this, today's news reported that 23 states had a "new" Covid mutation. I expect there will be more mutations. If you go, make sure you have the resources to cover an unplanned "extended stay" or quarantine in some place you'd probably NOT rather be in. An ounce of prevention.....
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:14 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Covid-19 is NOT going away anytime soon.

Borders are also tightening up.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:14 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Registry
Watch out for the smoke

You will want to travel before the fires start if you can. The air gets real thick. In August, September, I travelled under smoke from Seattle across to Grand Marais MN on the Northshore of Lake Superior. Heading back I was under smoke from Minnesota thru Utah, then up through Oregon. Didn't get out from under the Smoke until I got to Mt Rainier.

Theodore Roosevelt both north and south unit are interesting and on a human scale with Bison, Feral Horses, Prairie Dogs. Have stayed in the Park and been woken up by horses tracking around my tent. Last trip I camped dry north of the park and spent several wonderful days exploring the backroads up along the little missouri, almost better than the park.

Concur with Beartooth Pass and Northeast entry into Yellowstone... But US 14 through Bridger National Forest is pretty special too, get up in the morning and you will find Moose, Elk,and Deer.

Spent a couple weeks car tenting in Yellowstone last summer at Bridgebay and Canyon. Make Reservations! Get up early, nap during the day, and book a couple nights right at old faithful if you can, wandering the geyser basin for sunrise or under a full moon is unforgettable.

Rainier is fun, get out early, parking can get tight, and main entrance can backup for miles. https://www.flickr.com/photos/livdah...57716646620858

Love the Olympic Coast, got lucky and got a shy week at Kalaloch last summer. And then time at the Hoh because I didn't want to go home. Ozette is another favorite spot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/livdah...57715476319038

Crater Lake, John Day, the Oregon Coast...

If Canada opens up, the road from Banf to Jasper is spectacular, running from NY on the Canadian side of the Great Lakes though Minnesota would be lovely too...
Mike Livdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #31

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
If you want no fees, isolation, ugly surroundings, total virtual freedom, do not discount any western BLM locations.
Attached Thumbnails
QuartzRes2.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Borders are also tightening up.
I read this in an online article from the Duluth Mn Newspaper so it may be fact or it may be opinion or maybe a little of both . Their consensus was based on conversations with Canadian health officials and on the current covid statistics in the US .They believe that the Canadian / US border will likely be closed until 2022
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
CBC story on further border restrictions:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fre...ions-1.5887163