What are these Metal Brackets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2022, 07:30 PM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
What are these Metal Brackets

Been looking for a while and just brought home a 2018 Freedom Deluxe, Only main thing I need to do is swap out the Captains chairs for a bed, I've called Casita and want to order the kit to do it but I'm open to ideas, also any idea what the previous owner may have mounted to the back bumper or what these Metal add ons are for. We do not know the previous owner so we cannot ask, Any thoughts. There is one on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220325_162134.jpg   IMG_20220325_162139.jpg  

indysafe317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:39 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Could be anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysafe317 View Post
any idea what the previous owner may have mounted to the back bumper or what these Metal add ons are for. .
But it looks like something a ham radio operator may mount an antenna on.
OTHER GUESSES??
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:29 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Dog tieout
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:00 AM   #4
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Screen tent or awning pole mounts. Kees the polls away from the fiberglass?
Another use may be a tie down point for a winter tarp/cover.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:27 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree- metal brackets could be any number of things. If you don’t want them, take them off and don’t worry about it.

Sounds like you bought a Freedom, but what you really need is a Spirit? The side bed conversion is certainly doable, but it will get expensive if you buy the parts from Casita, and more so if you have them shipped. Building it yourself might save some money if you have time, tools, and skills, but it could hurt resale in a newer unit. Third alternative is selling it and buying a Spirit model. That could well be the lowest cost option, but only if you can find one close enough to snag before someone else does, as you’ve no doubt discovered.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:53 PM   #6

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Look like leg rippers incase you get tooo close to trailer. Something to remove before someone gets hurt.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I mounted a sewer hose, holder tube under my rear bumper but I didn't attach it to anything like that.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:34 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by indysafe317 View Post
Been looking for a while and just brought home a 2018 Freedom Deluxe, Only main thing I need to do is swap out the Captains chairs for a bed, I've called Casita and want to order the kit to do it but I'm open to ideas, also any idea what the previous owner may have mounted to the back bumper or what these Metal add ons are for. We do not know the previous owner so we cannot ask, Any thoughts. There is one on each side.
Congratulations on your find!

I'd say they might have been antenna mounts; they are much sturdier than the thin metal bumper is.

They look like they would be a good thing to remove as they are pretty sharp, and the factory bumper isn't really up to holding anything heavy as the bumper material is so lightweight.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:37 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Perhaps to be able to see the rear bumper distance while backing up....?
Old 03-27-2022, 07:53 AM   #10

Texas
I'll never know

Thank you for all the responses, I'm guessing antenna mounts or to see the distance but who knows, I can't figure it out and I agree with at a minimum they are leg rippers or a future injury so Off they go.

I actually have the Independence on order but not due in until October of Next year. We found this one at a great deal, don't think he knew what he had. 2018 Freedom Deluxe which was only used once and garaged due to medical issues, sold it to a auction wholesaler and he just flipped it to me for 21,000, I've went through everything and everything is in showroom condition so I got very lucky. I'm probably going to just order the benches from Casita since I got it at this price and then sell this one outright next year when mine comes in.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:14 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Casita

It’s nice to hear you’re happy with your new trailer. After all the suggestions for the purpose of the two metal brackets, I think the answer is “all of the above”. Everybody ought to have a pair. Radius the corners, add a little plastic dip for safety and paint them fluorescent orange and you’re good to go or stop anywhere.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:45 PM   #12

Texas
I agree, all the above is probably the best answer that I can tell

Tags
casita