What Camp Stove Do you Like? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
What Camp Stove Do you Like?

Looking for a new Coleman? camp stove. What do you use L.P. or white gas? I'm looking at the highes btu output. Whats your favorite? Thanks
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I prefer to use LP since I already have a tank on the trailer, and am keeping it simple, so I don't have to haul something separately. I installed a 'T' at the tank with a quick disconnect and a long hose.
Stove is actually a small retro hamburger grill. Probably not to efficient, but its cute!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I would stick with propane. I like what Pam has done and again it's another item to pack. The only time I've seen white gas used is for alpine hiking. It's lighter (less weight to carry) and works better in below freezing temperatures. Unless your planning on using in sub zero (F) temps it has more cons than pros. It needs to be pumped to maintain pressure while cooking and may be less readily available for replacement than propane.

I purchased a new stove last spring. I went for the single burner/half grill coleman.
Coleman - PerfectFlow Grill Stove - I wouldn't again. It works great but the grill is a major pain to clean. My old stove I'd turn off and pack up. This one left a greasy mess and I felt uncomfortable leaving it out do to bears and other critters. Others may want to ad their experience travelling with BBQs. but for me, I'm sticking with propane stove and nothin' but clean hot dogs on the grill.
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I enjoy my Cobb Grill
Advanced Outdoor Concepts CB041 Premier Grill Cooking System
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I also use a Coleman propane stove that has a grill on one side & a single burner on the other (an older version of the Perfect Flow Grill). A great combination as far as I'm concerned. I do have to admit it requires more cleaning than a two burner stove, but I like to grill! I can cook a steak or burgers on one side & steam vegetables on the other...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you want max output, then I'm pretty sure you must go with a gasoline stove, even a high efficiency SMEV stove won't match it. We use an old single burner Coleman gasoline stove and it works fine and is compact, but no more so than a single burner propane stove. Also with propane you don't have all that pumping and mess.... but then a gallon of coleman fuel lasts us for years.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Although we have both a propane and a white gas coleman stoves, we use the propane model as much as possible. The fuel for the gas stove here at Canadian Tire costs $16.29 for the one gal, can[3.8L]. That makes it pretty expensive to use for any length of time.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I have a dual fuel single burner Coleman that's great for one pot. It uses either white gas (camp fuel) or regular gas (much cheaper than 16.29 a gal.)
For a meal, I have a two burner I got from Harbor Freight for $32. I put a quick disconnect on it. I like it so much I'm taking my original stove out and putting on a new counter top w/o the "stove hole". I'll install a quick disconnect on the side of the cabinet (out of direct sight) and just use it for coffee. I don't cook in the camper.
Also, I'll put a quick disconnect on the outside of the camper for outside cooking with the same stove.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
White gas, in my understanding, was just unleaded (no additive) fuel. We always used regular unleaded gas in our coleman stove with no problem.
Wonder who took that stove, now that I think of it? Must've loaned it to one of the kids..
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #10

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
For high heat I use a Coleman 3 burner white gas, realy puts out the BTU's
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #11

Name: Alex
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I have a Safari Grill, which has many flexible features, but I covet the O-Grill by Pro-Iroda. It is simple and neat, easy to clean.
Alex Segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The O-Grill looks interesting.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #13

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
We use a 2 burner Coleman propane stove for outdoor cooking. Instead of those little 1 lb propane canisters, which don't last long and are expensive, we use a 5 lb propane tank with a 10 foot hose. I keep the 5 lb propane tank in a milk crate that can either sit on the floor of the trailer or in the back of the tow vehicle for transport.
Phil
Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We use a 2 burner Coleman propane and have added a Volcano stove/grill to the mix as well. The Volcano is good for dutch oven cooking as well as grilling. The Volcano is versatile as it can run on propane or briquettes. We use a 20 lb propane tank with a Coleman distribution tree on it, so both stoves and a lantern can be used at the same time. Good system.

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Old School

We've been happy with the Coleman Powerhouse two burner stove with 8000 and 9000 btu's each burner. Always use white gas as it is cleaner burning and recommended over unleaded. Plus it lasts a long time.

The Powerhouse is also bigger than the original stove, with enough room for larger pans.

Recently the fire pit gets the grilling and the trailer stove/oven gets the rest.
Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
We carry a Coleman two burner propane stove. We also have a propane lantern so the cartridges are dual purpose. For outside cooking, we mostly use an electric skillet when shore power is available or the fire pit. We are considering adding some more cast iron to the mix so it's possible we'll switch entirely to using the pit. I also carry a pocket rocket from our backpacking days but it's not that stable and requires a wind shield for optimal performance.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #17

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
not sure if your planning some amature blacksmithing or something while camping,,,,but,,,, how much output do you need? gas or propane will both certainly burn any dinner i cook so i would say get what you like. i stick with propane normaly, because i don't want to carry a gas can around or have gas on my fingers that makes my BACON smell bad.

did i mention i like BACON!

that being said,,,, i have recenlty developed some sort of fetish for vintage coleman gas stuff and would snap one up if i found one.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #18

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Older Coleman 2 burner propane. Have been using as much of our old tent camping stuff as possible and this one still works good. That and we had a flat of the 1 lb canisters stored away!
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #19

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Thanks. Think I'm going with propane, Sticking with one fuel source makes allot of sense. I'm a plumber so looks like I will be tapping into the gas line on my Casita and providing a quick connect.
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #20

Trailer: Trillium
CampChef 3 burner pro 90 and I also have the weekender 2 burner both have been great units
Craig Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote