What do I need to go camping? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
What do I need to go camping?

Here's a list of necessary supplies:

National Oregon/California Trail Center >> Historical Trails >> Trail Basics

COOKING UTENSILS: Dutch oven, kettle, skillet, reflector oven, coffee grinder, teapot, butcher knife, ladle, tin tableware, water keg, matches.

FOOD: flour (600 lbs.), bacon ( 400 lbs.), coffee (60 lbs.), baking soda, corn meal, hardtack, dried beans, dried fruit, dried beef, molasses, vinegar, pepper, eggs, salt, sugar (100 lbs.), rice, tea (4 lbs.), lard (200 lbs.)

LUXURIES: canned goods, plant cuttings, school books, musical instruments, dolls and toys, family albums, jewelry, china, silverware, fine linens, iron stoves, furniture.

HANDY ARTICLES: surgical instruments, liniments, bandages, campstool, chamber pot, washbowl, lanterns, candle molds, tallow, spyglasses, scissors, needles, pins, thread.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #2

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Here's a list of necessary supplies:

National Oregon/California Trail Center >> Historical Trails >> Trail Basics

COOKING UTENSILS: Dutch oven, kettle, skillet, reflector oven, coffee grinder, teapot, butcher knife, ladle, tin tableware, water keg, matches.

FOOD: flour (600 lbs.), bacon ( 400 lbs.), coffee (60 lbs.), baking soda, corn meal, hardtack, dried beans, dried fruit, dried beef, molasses, vinegar, pepper, eggs, salt, sugar (100 lbs.), rice, tea (4 lbs.), lard (200 lbs.)

LUXURIES: canned goods, plant cuttings, school books, musical instruments, dolls and toys, family albums, jewelry, china, silverware, fine linens, iron stoves, furniture.
Carl, what Army are you taking camping with you? HA! Funny Guy. This must be a Wagon Train supplies for the Oregon Trail.
All we really need to go camping is the "Will Power"
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Yes...looks like the standard list I send my husband off with. Only he calls it the "trading with the natives" list, as he prefers to forage/live off the land. He tells me that the above assortment is good for a trade at the first minimart he comes to usually amounting to seventeen cases of beer, a pallet of Cheetos, and two pounds of red licorice. Just about right to get him and a buddy through ten days of camping...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What do you need to go camping? Not a whole lot, truly. A warm comfortable place to sleep, a comfortable place to sit outside among "mother nature." AND A SENSE OF HUMOR. To camp, you don't need a trailer OR a tent.... really, just ask those of us that slept on a beach wrapped up in a towel... one wide-two deep.

But this is a Family Friendly Forum....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #5

Virginia
Oh I love it! You guys are making me laugh out loud!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #6

NE Oklahoma
I like looking at what the pioneers went through.....LOL
I wonder how long those eggs lasted in a covered wagon?
The beer would have to be hauled in a "tanker." It was a long trip.

A wool blanket, a picnic table and I'm all set for the night.
I can go a week without eating. But, I don't.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Isn't life great! So many different brands of all molded towables, but everyone wanting the same thing. Making memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #8

Virginia
Carl, I like learning how the pioneers did their travels as well. Most of them were young people, some couples, some singles both men and women. It was the ultimate adventure to them. It took it's toll on the children and babies, sad.

Hum...a weeks worth of food & drink and don't care about a picnic table or blanket.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #9

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Yes...looks like the standard list I send my husband off with. Only he calls it the "trading with the natives" list, as he prefers to forage/live off the land. He tells me that the above assortment is good for a trade at the first minimart he comes to usually amounting to seventeen cases of beer, a pallet of Cheetos, and two pounds of red licorice. Just about right to get him and a buddy through ten days of camping...

Need to trade the licorice for more beer. Everybody knows that there are the same number of beers in a tray as there are hours in the day for a reason!

One case per person per day is a good rule of thumb.
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #10

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I hate when I forget my surgical instruments on a camping trip.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
And how many horsepower is the ten head of oxen TV? At least it's an all "wheel" drive...good on muddy trails, I bet.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
......and two pounds of red licorice.
Licorice around here is always black, or at least a chalky grey. Are you referring to those highly nutritional Strawberry Twists? LINKY

Quote:
Fresh unwashed eggs can be kept without refrigeration for a few weeks (not certain of exact lengths of time). I have taken them on a 2 week canoe trip, and had them the last day. Food does stay cool in a canoe on the water. Lately though, as powdered eggs have improved a lot, we tend to use them as they pack better and weigh less. We usually have other veggies and stuff rehydrated and cooked with them.

In Europe, eggs are not usually sold, or stored, refrigerated (from what I have seen and heard). That is a North American thing. I know my Granny never refrigerated them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Carl, I like learning how the pioneers did their travels as well. Most of them were young people, some couples, some singles both men and women. It was the ultimate adventure to them. It took it's toll on the children and babies, sad

I am fortunate to have a diary written in the late 1840's that one of my female ancestors who keep details of their travels by wagon train & boat of 35 or so people (including several young families) for several weeks from what was then Upper Canada (Southern Ontario) to Fort Garry (Winnipeg Manitoba). Reading what they went through on a day to day bases is pretty hard to imagine. And yes they did loose a number of people - young and old along the way. What they went through while settling/building their new farms in that area is another story all together. First year the local natives burned down just before the first snow fall the log home they had spent months building, second year their crops got eat up by Locusts the third year they ended up rowing away with nothing but a boat after their lands were completely flooded.... pretty amazing what they went through.

Me I think I have it tough if I forgot to but the wine in the trailers fridge to cool down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Me I think I have it tough if I forgot to but the wine in the trailers fridge to cool down.
Obviously, you are drinking the wrong colour of wine then.

That is kewl to have that diary, I can only imagine how tough it was. It would be a great read. I know I read a book based on transcripts of people going from Fort Garry, through Edmonton, and then by raft and trail, to search for gold in Barkerville BC. Quite the ordeal. Lots of hard luck stories there, though a couple successes out of it too.

BTW, a visit to the rebuilt Barkerville site is highly recommended if anyone is ever in the area. It is between Prince George, and Kamloops, just west of Quesnel (quin-ell).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Eggs can keep for months if properly stored.

http://www.maritimeair.com/faqSable.php#Q1a

I didn't see any firearms on the list but I'm sure they were there.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
LOL Donna there is a difference between Camping and Roughing It. Personally I prefer Camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What do you need to go camping? Not a whole lot, truly. A warm comfortable place to sleep, a comfortable place to sit outside among "mother nature." AND A SENSE OF HUMOR. To camp, you don't need a trailer OR a tent.... really, just ask those of us that slept on a beach wrapped up in a towel... one wide-two deep.

But this is a Family Friendly Forum....
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
Need to trade the licorice for more beer. Everybody knows that there are the same number of beers in a tray as there are hours in the day for a reason!

One case per person per day is a good rule of thumb.
The red licorice is for the beer. Cheeto dust on one's hands makes the beer cans all slippery, and after spilling one or two the boys came up with the brilliant "through an edible straw" system that eliminates the necessity of actually lifting the open can to one's lips.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #18

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Eggs can keep for months if properly stored.

http://www.maritimeair.com/faqSable.php#Q1a

I didn't see any firearms on the list but I'm sure they were there.
Here you go Norm.....

WEAPONRY: rifle, pistol, knife, hatchet, gunpowder, lead, bullet mold, powder horn, bullet pouch, holster.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #19

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
The eggswill be fresh always

Quote:
I like looking at what the pioneers went through.....LOL
The beer would have to be hauled in a "tanker." It was a long trip.

A wool blanket, a picnic table and I'm all set for the night.
I can go a week without eating. But, I don't.
Well the eggs will last a long time maybe for years. You don't bring eggs...You bring live chickens. As for the milk, you figure that out....moo. and for the campfire use the cow pies
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #20

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED View Post
Well the eggs will last a long time maybe for years. You don't bring eggs...You bring live chickens. As for the milk, you figure that out....moo. and for the campfire use the cow pies
That's what I was thinking to bring laying hens
if they didn't quit laying from stress.

I was actually trying to visualize how they would
keep the eggs from being broken on the rough trails.