What do I want in a camper? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #41

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Francesca, you need to put some poliglow or Red Maxx Pro on that thing to make it shine.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #42

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If I make her too purty somebody will steal her...

Anyway, I won't travel with a rig that's better lookin' than I am!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #43

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We own European spring assists but have not installed them. We keep a tape measure in the car. At the wheelwells the Honda drops only a 1/2 inch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #44

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
In the last picture it looks fine.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
In the last picture it looks fine.
Whew- that's a relief...

Since as-is she's dead level when hitched, if I had to add air bags it would throw the whole shootin' match off!

Francesca
Old 02-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #46

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I didn't mean to imply that we don't gear down for hills. We still do that and you'll often find us over in the slow lane. It's just that with the Aerostar (thanks for your sympathy, BTW ) we were sometimes down to 35 mph on steep two lane mountain roads with lots of impatient drivers piling up behind us and nowhere to pull over to let 'em all pass. It was kinda hairy! It's nice now to be able to stay up with the traffic when we need to. Yeah, we don't get the best mileage out there, but it's not our main vehicle either. It mostly gets used for towing the trailer or for when my other half goes on bicycle trips and wants to pile lots of passengers and gear in it. The trailer/TV combination that anyone has to decide on is just one of many things to consider when getting a trailer. If Lora and her husband want to use a vehicle that they already have, then it's towing capability will determine to a large degree just what trailer they end up with.

Francesca - I love that picture of you and the big rig at the gas pumps. Having had a big rig I can tell you that our current TV seems like a dainty sipper compared to our old motorhome! And yes, it does look like the stabilizer jack is down on that rig. Wonder what was up with that?
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #47

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Kathy, what type of engine did you have in the Aerostar?
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
And yes, it does look like the stabilizer jack is down on that rig. Wonder what was up with that?
I thought it was down 'cause it takes so long to fill the tank they have to stay overnight!

Francesca
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #49

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
. . . we were sometimes down to 35 mph on steep two lane mountain roads with lots of impatient drivers piling up behind us and nowhere to pull over to let 'em all pass. It was kinda hairy!
. . . The trailer/TV combination that anyone has to decide on is just one of many things to consider when getting a trailer. If Lora and her husband want to use a vehicle that they already have, then it's towing capability will determine to a large degree just what trailer they end up with.
I can certainly understand that feeling. And, I appreciate your input. I do want to be able to hook up and go with my van. It's good to read what others have experienced. In the past, if I didn't want to take the truck, it meant tent camping. Not bad, but not something I want to do all the time!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #50

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Lora - the Aerostar had a 3L V6. The E-150 van has a 5.8L V-8.

Francesca - you could be right!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #51

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I think a shower is over rated. Most of the trailers your thinking of have small gray tanks that will fill quickly. If you plan on staying at campgrounds the showers there should be fine.

I have a 16 Casita that I've been traveling in since the last weekend in December. I'm a bit over 6 feet and I do wish I had a little more headroom but it hasn't really been an issue. I scrunch over when cooking or walking in or out but I sit in one of the captains chairs when I'm inside and find that pretty comfy.

I suggest you find one that will be comfortable sleeping in first. Look for one at a fair price so you can sell it if you don't like it.

Good luck
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #52

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Post #38
While in England a few year back I saw a huge American class "A" filling at a fuel stop. I understood it took longer to fill as they had to wait for their mortgage papers to clear in order to fill the tank @ about $9.50USD per US gallon.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #53

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Lora, the height in the Surfsides are 6' in the center and taper down a bit to the sides. As to the bed size, you could always do what some of the members here have done, is to sleep cross-ways, build a small table/bench with a cushion on to for your feet. Maybe someone who has done this will chime in and give you more info. Marina
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #54

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I'm surprised that I haven't seen any mention of Eggcamper. Seems like a good fit for you. Have a look at LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER specs. Plenty tall, roomy, not too heavy on the tongue, bath with shower, and nice smooth FG gelcoat interior. Not many used ones out there, but I think I have seen some sell for around the $10k range. Be aware, though, they are built all-electric, no propane system, so you'd have to spend a little extra to add that.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #55

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
ParkLiner, 6'5"tall, 6'10" wide....queen sized bed and a side dinette....I was sold!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #56

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Thank you Marinab, Mike Magee, and Deryk for the information about interior heights. I do like the Egg and the Parkliner, but, as you point out, there aren't too many used ones out there for sale. We are going to look at an in-use Scamp 16 this weekend, so that will give us a good visual of physical dimensions.
We visited the RV show in Richmond today. Sadly, no Eggs at all and dry weights for most of the smaller ones starting at 3500+ (those were the ultralights!)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #57

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lora, remember you're looking for a comfortable big enough bed and a place to sit. 99% of the time, inside a trailer you'll be either laying down or sitting down. Walking from one end to the other takes about three steps. Standing at the sink or counter to fix a sandwich, you'll be bending your neck to look down and slightly at the waist.

If you go into a trailer and try to stand up perfectly straight... and you can't, it's not a deal breaker. The only time I can think I stand up straight in my trailer is when I've pulled my pants on and I'm pulling up the zipper. Truly... think about it. When I go out the door into the great livingroom, I can stand as straight as I want and reach my hands up over my head. Nirvana!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #58

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I think this is the only time I disagree with Donna () lol. You folks are in Va, take a ride down to North Carolina and go look at a ParkLiner, then South Carolina and look at a lil snoozy besides seeing the Scamp. When I checked out a 16 casita the interior height (or lack of) was a real turnoff for me. I have a disc in my lumbar area fused and the thought of bein hunched over a little was a big turnoff. I had that in my litle homebuilt gypsy caravan, but I built it around the height of a teardrop trailer so it was to be expected. I lived on a sailboat for a little over 8 years with 6'3" headroom and Im a little taller then 5'10" Just the few inches made life super comfortable compared to the first sailboat I owned that was 5'7" inside(wasn't living on it) I only sailed it on the weekend and sold it to be able to stand up inside.

Best thing you can do is go check it out, and make sure the hubster is comfortable.

best of luck

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #59

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Inside height

I'm 6'1" tall and have spent a 1 year in a Casita 16 and 2 years in a Scamp 16. Suprisingly to me the year in the Casita was not difficult at all. Somehow one adjusts and as Donna says you're hardly ever up straight up for long.

We had borrowed the Casita for a year but when it came time to buy one we went for the Scamp. There were three reasons. 1. It was a few 100 pounds lighter. 2. It seemed a more open layout with it's front window/sidde bath. 3. It was taller. Other than that we could not find much difference between the two rigs, more alike than different.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #60

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
It is hard to figure out what you can live with until you do. Things that you think will make a huge difference turn out to be a tempest in a teapot and other little niggly things take on the proportions of a tsunami. And, as we age, it seems that our priorities change. Ain't life grand! I think that is why I want to get something used so that, if that happens, I won't feel so invested and too worried about the depreciation to be willing to sell it and try another. I am finding the various viewpoints very interesting and appreciate everyone's sharing. Thank you.