What do you do for bugs? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
What do you do for bugs?

We just got back from a nice trip to Canada, but the total pleasure of the trip was marred by the bugs, mosquitos and something in the grass, that ate me alive. There is something about my chemistry that causes me to seem to have a target painted on me, because the hubby can go unmolested, while I seem to be filet mignon to bugs.

Anyway, I really do not like the sticky feel of bug repellant. What are the tried and true methods that some of you use? A waitress at Niagra Falls suggested mint Scope. That does not feel much better than bug repellant, to be honest.

Any suggestions for me? We have another trip coming up in a week.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
you can spray Raid yard gaurd around the area...it works well and those mosquito coils or candles help some......also that off you dont like the feel of could be lightly sprayed don just your sneakers and clothes offering some protection and probably around the camp too.....they're ugly and all but flypaper strips hung about grab all kinds of bugs too.....Bruce

also a electric bug whacker if your plugged in might help..love hearing em crackle!
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Garlic capsule's work for some people.

You swallow them.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #4

Registry
I read that one online a couple of days ago. I have been taking them ever since.

CindyL
Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I read that one online a couple of days ago. I have been taking them ever since.

CindyL
I too am bug banana split. I use Cutters - they have a spray that is not sticky, smells okay and works. It is the one with the blue cap.

If you can't stand it on your skin spray your clothes - I do as a matter of course and it works. Be sure to get your socks and pant cuffs for the grass critters.

As a last resort - An old remedy (which didn't work for me..." is to take lots of B vitamins before your trip.

My wife is like your husband - never bothered. Drives me crazy!

Good luck, lunch....

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Talking

I never do anything for bugs.

When did they ever do anything for me?
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:

CindyL
Up here in Canada, alot of people use Avon's "Skin so soft" or Off's "Skintastic". Both are lotions. I have also heard that the soldiers use these as well. I personally use the Off spray and the lantern around my trailer. Hope this helps,
Marina
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
Has anyone tried the Thermacell device. One of the guys I was hunting with last fall had one. It worked great on mosquitos. It has a small propane bottle and a pad with a chemical in it. When the pad changes color it needs to be replaced.
It seemed to clear a rather large area of mosquitos
Jim Sinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #9

Registry
I sure appreciate all the comments. I really want to find some solution(s). The First Up screen house helps a lot, but you can't stay inside that all the time.

CindyL
Old 08-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
I forgot to mention that the Thermacell has a little carry case accessory.
You can carry it with you with the shoulder strap. This thing is almost too good to be true.
Jim Sinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Good one, Bud!!! I was trying to think of something clever---but it just wouldn't come! You made my day!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #12

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
mosquitoes are irritating but a fact of camping life.....we use deep woods off but also we like listerine. i put some into a small spray bottle and it also is good sprayed on the screen door in the trailer.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Camp in the winter.

I have left a camping area at a lake when the yellow jackets were so thick you couldn't keep them out of the camper. Moved to a coastal camping area that was lovely and without bugs.

We carry Deepwoods Off, I hate the stuff. Generally where we camp the skeeters (who love my hubby, where as I am flea bait) are only bad at dawn and dusk. We are sleeping at dawn and have a fire going at dusk or try to be in the trailer eating supper.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I don't like the idea of DEET, but I do like the results when sprayed on sleeves and pants legs on a buggy night.
We call it deep woods cologne....
Best solution for us is a campfire and clothing that covers most of the mosquito's favorite meals.... Long sleeves and pants are the campfire fashion, even if the material is thin.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
There is something about my chemistry that causes me to seem to have a target painted on me, because the hubby can go unmolested, while I seem to be filet mignon to bugs.
CindyL
Some people definitely do have the misfortune to be more attractive than others. Stay away from perfumes and scented soaps, etc., wear light colored clothes, minimize potassium intake - bananas, etc. and find someone even more attractive to mosquitoes to hang around with. Bugs seem to be worst at dusk, prime sitting-around-the-campfire time. If you can stick it out til hard dark (tough up north) they usually lighten up. It is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.....
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #16

Registry
Well, unfortunately, the resultant bites (They were not mosquitoes; it was whatever was in the grass.) kept me up all night, despite applying cortisone.
I am going to send for cutter's cream and see it it works and is not nasty.

CindyL
Old 08-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
If you were up in the Canadian rockies you may have run into what we call, 'no seeums'. Nastly little flies that are very small, so small they can actually pass through most normal sized screen holes. I end up taking anti-histamines if I get bitten too much.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #18

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Has anyone tried the new Off thing you hang on yourself? The commercial must be working because we can't find any on the shelves at the store. Chiggars live in the grass and like tight spots in your clothing where they burrow under your skin. Finger nail polish remover suffocates them. I avoid putting on bug spray, stay away from smelly hair and body stuff. Nothing worse then passing somebody on the trail that smells like they bathed in perfume instead of soap.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #19

Registry
Tracy:

I think that was was bit my legs up so much. We were on Manitoulin Island.

Cyndi:
I did try the thing attached to my belt. Not all that good. (BTW, the hubby's from Decorah. We both went to Luther.)

I also found out that Cutter's cream apparently is not being made anymore. Kevin found a natural cream, minus deet, at Old World Wisconsin over the weekend that I will try when we camp this weekend.

CindyL
Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #20

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:

I also found out that Cutter's cream apparently is not being made anymore. Kevin found a natural cream, minus deet, at Old World Wisconsin over the weekend that I will try when we camp this weekend.

CindyL
Cindy,

Try Cutter's 'Skinsation'. It is a spray that has Aloe and vitamin E and is not oily. I react to Deet and can use this. It really works.

Also, OFF makes a sun screen that has repellent in it. Feels just like any other sun screen to me.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote