What do you do with your banana? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
The discussion on front bed sizes reminded me of this. I've seen photos showing the banana cushion sitting on top of the seat back against the window, but mine won't stay up there on it's own and it interferes with the curtains slightly. I've been leaving it right down on the seat where it acts as a lumbar cushion if I slouch down.

I'll probably attach some velcro to keep it out of the way up on top of the seat back. I'm also thinking about cutting it in half to make it easier to get in between the front bunk posts. I always seem to knock something off the counter or even the table trying to get it in or out. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Kevin

Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Generally the Banana cushion if behind the back, resting on the bench. This keeps the back at a better angle.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I know this is supposed to be about the banana cushion, but we don't have one of those. What I did discover however, is that when the bed is set up, one of the extra back rest cushions from the dinette area fit snug between the lower portion of the bench, across the hole under the bed, creating a barrier from the cold that was billowing out from under our bed on cold nights. It also made the heat rise up along the edge of the bed area instead of getting lost and wasted in the space under our bed. I found it to be much warmer after I discovered it, and it gets one of the extra cushions out of the way.

back to the banana thread....
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
... What I did discover however, is that when the bed is set up, one of the extra back rest cushions from the dinette area fit snug between the lower portion of the bench, across the hole under the bed, creating a barrier from the cold that was billowing out from under our bed on cold nights. It also made the heat rise up along the edge of the bed area instead of getting lost and wasted in the space under our bed. I found it to be much warmer after I discovered it, and it gets one of the extra cushions out of the way.

Yeah, but if it is really cold, and your water tank is in that area, either under the left bench or under the floor, wouldn't there be a danger of it freezing?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:04 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One generally doesn't have to worry about the tank freezing, rather the water lines connected to the tank -- The tank itself is a large enough mass to require long exposure to low temps before freezing occurs.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
WHEN we had the bunk, the banana cushion was a filler that laid against the trailer front and sat on the seat. Then the bunk was lowered and the main cushion added. This made the "seat back" rest at a slight angle, making it more comfortable to lean against. NOW that we have a front dinette, the bunk and seat back are stored in the garage attic so that the next owner can retro the trailer if they desire.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Quote:
Yeah, but if it is really cold, and your water tank is in that area, either under the left bench or under the floor, wouldn't there be a danger of it freezing?
We don't have a water tank, it was removed by the previous owners. But I guess that would be a problem for those who do have a tank. Thanks for mentioning it!

sorry for hijacking this thread, back to bananas!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Because I was FullTiming and needed the extra space, I always left the gaucho set up as bunks (I put PVC railings on to keep items from 'drifting' off the bunks on the road), so banana storage was never really a problem -- Prior to that, I would just stow it, and the support pipes, behind the couch back.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Kevin,

You may have seen my banana cushion sitting up by the front window in some of my pictures. It's magic.

Actually, when I took the couch back off I realized that the area where the banana cushion was supposed to be was a perfect place to store my solar panel. I store the panel on it's edge with the panel facing the front. This means 2 of the 4 little legs I put on the panel go under the new cushion and the other 2 stick out just below the window. Well, guess what the legs are long enough that the banana cushion sits perfectly on them.

This isn't the greatest picture as it was taken to show folks my counter extension. Any way, to the right you can see the back of the solar panel which is white and the banana cushion on top of it. You'll also notice above the banana cushion, oak wood. That's just a piece of oak that I attached where the couch back hinges were. It makes a nice little shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
109_4125.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
Quote:
WHEN we had the bunk, the banana cushion was a filler that laid against the trailer front and sat on the seat. Then the bunk was lowered and the main cushion added. This made the "seat back" rest at a slight angle, making it more comfortable to lean against.
Was just out in the Boler trying this out and it works perfectly! No need to ever wrestle with that banana cushion again and the seat angle is definitely more comfortable, I'll add a small cushion or kids pillow for lumbar support.

It never occured to me that there would be room to leave it down there. I also see that a couple thin hanging storage bags would fit nicely there as well, probably screwed into the bottom of the wood hinge block. Roy mentioned this somewhere in a recent post, anyone seen photos of a set up like this?

thanks,
Kevin
Old 02-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Okay, please tell me. What is a banana cushion?

Granted, I've only seen a fiberglass trailer once and could only take a quick look inside. So I have no idea what possible use a banana shaped cushion would have, except maybe to fill out a space where the shell curves?
But then half the fun of this board is figuring things out when I've never seen what's being discussed.

Judith
Judith K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Okay, please tell me. What is a banana cushion?

Granted, I've only seen a fiberglass trailer once and could only take a quick look inside. So I have no idea what possible use a banana shaped cushion would have, except maybe to fill out a space where the shell curves?
But then half the fun of this board is figuring things out when I've never seen what's being discussed.

Judith

Judith: That is EXACTLY the purpose of the banana cushion. It fills in the gap between the single front seat cushion and the front wall of the trailer.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks, Carol Ann. I think I'm spending way too much time reading everything here. By the time we actually get an egg, I might even be ready.

Judith
Judith K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi all! Until our grandsons begin camping with us and sleeping in the bunks, our 'banana' stays in the storage shed at our 'base camp'. It didn't work comfortably for us as a back support on the couch, so we just leave it out. Happy trails - L 'n D
Old 02-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
It didn't work comfortably for us as a back support on the couch,
Were you using it behind the couch back next to the trailer body or in front of the couch back next to your body?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
We always left the banana cushion in place which made the top bunk cushion come out at a nice comfortable angle.

But since we have abandoned the idea of ever actually using the top bunk we followed someones suggestion here and reversed the top and bottom cushions 86ing the banana cushion all together. The switch gives the person sleeping on the front bunk more room without falling in between the cushions at night and having the plywood bottom adds a little stability, plus the former bottom bunk cushion fits as a back cushion perfectly.
I wish we would have figured it out before we had the cushions redone, the only negative being now the zipper is in the front of the bottom cushion instead of hiding against the wall. I know I'm probably the only one who notices though.... Oh and we did remove all of the brackets on the bottom bunk and the supports for the top bunk, so it would lay flatter.
Sooo, banana cushion in garage---next to the now never used tent!
Kenny&Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote