What do you think of this - kinda wierd? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #41

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You just don't get around much I guess...
Yep, I guess not. I only drove in SCCA racing and Auto crossing for about 10 years, including one year with full factory sponsorship driving a Volvo 1800S in SCCA events.

I would guess that as long as the Pinto had the German designed and built 2.0 engine it might do a lot better than the 1600 boat anchor that Ford made in the U.S. But success in amateur stock car racing doesn't light my interest.

But, that all behind us, what you are saying is that when someone buys a new trailer that they should expect to have to make modifications to correct factory oversights like pump locations, overheated converters, tire rubbing etc. and that they should be happy with the same features that were being offered 40 years ago.

You should really look at the European FGRV's. Their Fit, Finish and Features make most of ours look like a Model-A Ford.

BTW: We see 70's Toyota's on the road every day here in CA. Two years ago I sold a 1978 Toyota Sunrader molded fiberglass motorhome that I refurbished. It was promptly driven to Maine and back without any problems and is still being used on almost a daily basis. Passed smog as slick as can be at 110,000 miles and still got 20 MPG with a cab over coach on it's back.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

But, that all behind us, what you are saying is that when someone buys a new trailer that they should expect to have to make modifications to correct factory oversights like pump locations, overheated converters, tire rubbing etc. and that they should be happy with the same features that were being offered 40 years ago.

Tire rubbing on a Scamp? Hummm thats a new one... think your getting your trailer brands mixed up Bob

Here is the thing I have a 21 year old Scamp, soon to be 22 years old. Never have lost & or damaged the shower pump. I can see how it could happen but I can also see how ripping off the tanks and many other items off the bottom of many brands of trailers could happen if care is not taken. Your correct though that on a Scamp the shower pump will indeed be the first item to be hit if not careful.

Secondly I still have the American converter in mine as well, never had a problem with it, even though its been used well over a 100 Plus nights a year for the past six years.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;457844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You just don't get around much I guess...

Yep, I guess not. I only drove in SCCA racing and Auto crossing for about 10 years, including one year with full factory sponsorship driving a Volvo 1800S in SCCA events.

I would guess that as long as the Pinto had the German designed and built 2.0 engine it might do a lot better than the 1600 boat anchor that Ford made in the U.S. But success in amateur stock car racing doesn't light my interest.

You should really look at the European FGRV's. Their Fit, Finish and Features make most of ours look like a Model-A Ford.

BTW: We see 70's Toyota's on the road every day here in CA. Two years ago I sold a 1978 Toyota Sunrader molded fiberglass motorhome that I refurbished. It was promptly driven to Maine and back without any problems and is still being used on almost a daily basis. Passed smog as slick as can be at 110,000 miles and still got 20 MPG with a cab over coach on it's back.
First... the 1600 was an English made engine, built in Kent. It was also the venerable formula Ford engine. The Lima Ohio built 2.3L was the absolutely bullet proof engine which replaced both the Kent 1.6L and the German made 2.0L used in the early Pinto. The aforementioned 1.6 was never built in the U.S.

Having raced in SCCA, you should know that I made no reference to stock car racing.

We raced "wheel to wheel" in SCCA with a VW Scirocco I.T. class car in Midwest Council until we won a championship. In the late nineties we switched to a nationally ranked G-P Cabrio until 2003. Great fun, ain't it?

Looking like "Henry's Lady" is a great compliment to any fiberglass trailer. After I modified my Model A, it had all the creature comforts and performance of any modern car, plus the class and style endowed by Henry himself... making my point.

To answer your question... My Scamp was nearly perfect on delivery and was excellent to the manufacturer's standards. It has undergone about a hundred modifications to both personalize and improve it. As a result, I have a trailer to keep for a lifetime of travel in contented comfort.
So the answer truly is, "no" that is not what I said, nor is it what I am saying.

I could have used my trailer, fully functional, right out of the box but... like a spec home, or a factory stock vehicle, it would have just felt like a "rental" until it was modified to my satisfaction.

I truly respect your opinions and the points you make, and even more so, your right to have and make them. We must however reach an impasse on the notion that any manufactured good would fully satisfy the desires of every buyer right out of the box.
I just see a good product as a good start!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #44

I threw in the tire rubbing because it was suggested that we should just accept whatever problems come with a new trailer and then "Personalize" it ourselves. In the case of a certain brand, owners may soon not have much choice but to fix things themselves.

I didn't know that the "American" brand converter went back that far. The ones I have come across have all been in, or installed after 2000. Maybe they "improved" them???
But still, if it's not being installed correctly, is it the buyers job to fix things before they burn up?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I threw in the tire rubbing because it was suggested that we should just accept whatever problems come with a new trailer and then "Personalize" it ourselves. In the case of a certain brand, owners may soon not have much choice but to fix things themselves.

I didn't know that the "American" brand converter went back that far. The ones I have come across have all been in, or installed after 2000. Maybe they "improved" them???
But still, if it's not being installed correctly, is it the buyers job to fix things before they burn up?
I, of course made no such suggestion...
Scamp has a warranty which allows third party repairs or correction of defects, which they will pay for during the warranty period. It is best to first discuss any such work with Scamp in order to gain authorization. I know them to be very accommodating and willing to make things right in the event of a legitimate complaint. I have even seen them on occasion, acquiesce to unfounded demands in the interest of customer satisfaction.

As you know, of course, Toyota always stands "behind" their products as well... ( in fear of rapid uncontrolled acceleration!)
God forbid it should be behind a Pinto in traffic when it happens!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
So I get it now.... others are commenting on what you feel are the short comings of the a Scamp re their not offering LED light packages, no cassette toilet option etc etc .... nothing safety related.

But now suddenly the discussion has change to items that need fixing that are major safety issues which as far as I am aware Scamp doesnt have any.

Honestly do not think one can even begin to suggest that Scamp and that other Brand of trailer with the current known safety issues are in any way similar in regards to customer safety or service. Even if Scamp is so callus as to refuse to change over to using ones preferred brand of converter.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #47

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hard to understand how/why the O.P.'s threadstarter about someone charging twenty-five bucks to get a tour of a Scamp turned into a beat-up-on-the-brand fracas-?

That mystery aside, I think this discussion most coherent if observers remind themselves that some in the discussion are themselves longtime owner/users. In my opinion, the fact of their satisfaction with their trailers carries more weight than the opinion of any professional reseller.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #48

Hmmmm... And who exactly is being accused of being a "Professional Reseller"?

Old 05-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #49

In looking back in the thread it started to branch off in post #12.

But the Gauntlet was really thrown down in post #26 with:
"There are certain things you can't really improve on and Scamp is one of them."

And that's how it happened.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #50

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not about to talk down about a Scamp. I own one and although far from perfect it has served me well and I've been very happy with it for a dozen years.

Where Scamp is falling behind is the lack of options. Like Carol mentioned, LEDs. They wouldn't need to add them as standard, that would drive the price up and some folks don't want that right out of the gate. But, it sure would be nice if when someone is having a trailer "built," they were actually getting it build for them. That's where Escape is blowing the doors off Scamp and Casita manufacturing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #51

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
What do you think of this - kinda wierd?

Getting back on subject: I would pay to see a Scamp. Especially if I lived in a rural area along the east coast or the west coast. Beats traveling for two days halfway across the country. That's only if it was only a few miles away and the price was reasonable.
I've paid to get into gun shows, home and garden shows and even football games when I can watch it for free on TV. I know there's a FGRV company that will pay you $200 if you sell on of their campers. I know those owners aren't charging!
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #52

When I get my new 5er, I'm going to put a Tip Jar by the door
Old 05-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #53

Registry
LOL Donna, you could make a bundle at the Bandon meet from all those who want to skip the line up to see what ever new trailer Escape brings down, as it happens each year.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #54

RV ITEMS IN THE NEWS....

On this mornings national news it was announced that a shipwreck, thought to be the Santa Maria, that sank in 1492 off Haiti. has been discovered.

The salvage team is attempting to locate the Captains Loo (thought to be an early SeaLand) and get it authenticated by Dometic as to age. As it is expected to look so much like the current units, they may have to run DNA tests on any remaining contents (Yuk!) to accurately date the item.

Note: If this makes no sense, read all the earlier posts.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #55

Bob, Bob, Bob.. it was a CASSETTE toilet on the Santa Maria. The toilet stayed in place, the container is what was removed and the contents pitched over the side! After all, the ship was a European build...
Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #56

Nope, history will serve us that the cassette toilet wasn't invented until 1573 for the convenience of the Spanish King who didn't want to have to get up from his Throne to go to visit yet another Throne.

I think I mentioned that was the case in post #26 or so. Lets see what they pull up. The proof will be in the loo.

And, in 1492 everything was European.

BTW: Whilst on a 160 mile drive in heavy L.A. freeway traffic today we attempted to do a non-scientific count. The score: Pre-1981 Toyotas = 34, Pintos = 0.... But maybe Pintos have become too collectable to drive on the hiway.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #57

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Well I don't have a dog in this fight. I recently bought a LiL Snoozy. So far the cassette has worked great. I agree with Floyd about the Pinto. I owned a 1975 with the 2.3. It was one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I also owned a Isuzu Trooper and still own a Suzuki Samurai. All three were sunk by the Nadarites.. All three were great vehicles.

I am glad Scamp is still around and wish them the best!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote