What do you think of this - kinda wierd? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
What do you think of this - kinda wierd?

Saw this ad today:

Scamp camping trailer available for viewing

Offering "tours" of a Scamp for a fee to prospective buyers........
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Me thinks someone has decided that they have found a way to make some simple cash.

I would suggest if someone want to see a Scamp all they need to do is post here and someone will let them take a look at theres for free! ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
People will do anything to SCAM money from nice people. Really nice people let you see their Camper for FREE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Jacobson View Post
Saw this ad today:

Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
That's just really weird and kind of taking advantage of people but then again we all love to show our trailers to anyone who wants a peek for free of course
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
People will do anything to SCAM money from nice people. Really nice people let you see their Camper for FREE.
Hey, people pay for water when they could get it from a tap for free.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
If Harry keeps track of names and addresses and forwards them to Scamp and a sale results Scamp will write Harry a check for $200.00. Got to love free enterprise. New schemes everyday.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I figure the guy is delivering what he's promising with the caveat that he really can't demo all floor plans, equipment options. Folks are free to drive to Frostbite Falls or wherever Scamps are made to assess the nonpareil Scamp build quality. Scamp is advertising in the AARP newsletter these days. Good on them.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Jacobson View Post
Saw this ad today:

Hi: Jake Jacobson... Boy did I miss out on a ton of money!!! I should have kept a diary.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie;wave
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
$35 could be a big savings just to look at one.
How far can you go with a half tank of gas?
But finding other owners nearby or finding a campground
would be the best solution. Plus making new friends.

Fella is enterprising....................LOL

But as I was told over a year ago. If you aren't willing to
travel to look at a trailer, why are you getting into it in the
first place. Camping also entails traveling.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
He may have found a niche market, walkups are free, appts are $
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The good news: It actually sounds like a good idea for the right customers. A full demo/tour, (maybe) close to home, no personal involvement with the owner, strictly a business deal. No Scam, you get what you paid for.

The Bad News: Must have Pi$$ed off someone, the ad was flagged off this morning.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
But as I was told over a year ago. If you aren't willing to travel to look at a trailer, why are you getting into it in the
first place. Camping also entails traveling.
Not disagreeing with you, Carl, but for those who work full-time, travel happens on an employer's schedule, and trailers come to the market on someone else's schedule. I know that well, because when I first became interested in an RV, all of the interesting units showed up in Phoenix or Tucson, 4 hours away. My kids' activities meant that even weekends were sometimes off limits. Many were sold before I even had a chance to call, let alone think about driving there. I ended up in a FGRV more by happy chance (God thing!) than by design - one just happened to be parked locally for sale. And I never would have considered a 13'er for four people until I actually got inside one (should say "we" - made up the beds and all piled in ).

Knowing that the Bay area is a notoriously hectic and busy place to live and work, this person may be on to something. We'll probably never know how successful the venture is. I do think, though, that many of the FGRV manufacturers need to think creatively about sales and marketing if they want to grow their business in the younger working generation, and not just in the Bay area. I sense some of the new, higher-end lightweight manufacturers (Nest, Alto, MeerKat) are actively courting this generation, but the older manufacturers (Scamp, especially) are stuck in the past. Just compare the websites - many read like a paper brochure on the screen. Don't get me wrong - I think the product itself is still relevant, more today than ever, but the sales and marketing strategy needs rethinking. It would be interesting to see some demographic data on the purchasers of new FGRVs from all the manufacturers.

I really don't know what motivated this individual to place this ad - perhaps opportunism as some have suggested - but it's also possible that they are acting on the basis of their own experiences in buying the product and trying to make it easier for someone else. Honestly, $35 isn't much (as Carl noted) and may just serve to discourage "Looky-Lous."

Bob, just saw your post as I was composing this… Too bad, looks like it may have been sheer opportunism after all, maybe worse. The picture, I recall, appears to be one that was for sale some months ago. I assumed they had bought it, but maybe not. Human nature…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not disagreeing with you, Carl, but for those who work full-time, travel happens on an employer's schedule, and trailers come to the market on someone else's schedule. I know that well, because when I first became interested in an RV, all of the interesting units showed up in Phoenix or Tucson, 4 hours away. My kids' activities meant that even weekends were sometimes off limits. Many were sold before I even had a chance to call, let alone think about driving there. I ended up in a FGRV more by happy chance (God thing!) than by design - one just happened to be parked locally for sale. And I never would have considered a 13'er for four people until I actually got inside one (should say "we" - made up the beds and all piled in ).

Knowing that the Bay area is a notoriously hectic and busy place to live and work, this person may be on to something. We'll probably never know how successful the venture is. I do think, though, that many of the FGRV manufacturers need to think creatively about sales and marketing if they want to grow their business in the younger working generation, and not just in the Bay area. I sense some of the new, higher-end lightweight manufacturers (Nest, Alto, MeerKat) are actively courting this generation, but the older manufacturers (Scamp, especially) are stuck in the past. Just compare the websites - many read like a paper brochure on the screen. Don't get me wrong - I think the product itself is still relevant, more today than ever, but the sales and marketing strategy needs rethinking. It would be interesting to see some demographic data on the purchasers of new FGRVs from all the manufacturers.

I really don't know what motivated this individual to place this ad - perhaps opportunism as some have suggested - but it's also possible that they are acting on the basis of their own experiences in buying the product and trying to make it easier for someone else. Honestly, $35 isn't much (as Carl noted) and may just serve to discourage "Looky-Lous."

Bob, just saw your post as I was composing this… Too bad, looks like it may have been sheer opportunism after all, maybe worse. The picture, I recall, appears to be one that was for sale some months ago. I assumed they had bought it, but maybe not. Human nature…
Actually ,it appears that the ad is designed specifically to encourage "Looky-Lous" (for a fee)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Actually ,it appears that the ad is designed specifically to encourage "Looky-Lous" (for a fee)
In hindsight, it appears you are probably right… and there may not have been anything to "looky-lou" at! When it comes to human nature, I suppose we need to expect the best but prepare for the worst. "Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."
Old 05-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #15

NE Oklahoma
I agree Jon.
Every one has their on calculations and obligations.
Those still working have to work out time slots and all that.

Someone like me just has to line out the priorities.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #16

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
... but the older manufacturers (Scamp, especially) are stuck in the past. Just compare the websites - many read like a paper brochure on the screen. Don't get me wrong - I think the product itself is still relevant, more today than ever, but the sales and marketing strategy needs rethinking. It would be interesting to see some demographic data on the purchasers of new FGRVs from all the manufacturers.

[/I]
I agree Scamp is stuck in the past in many ways. Mostly that's a good thing, they make good trailers and stand behind them. In several conversations with various individuals by telephone and during two visits to Backus I clearly got the impression that they sell all the trailers they want to and most always have a waiting list. I waited 3 months in the slower Autumn season. They have about 48 employees and don't want anymore. Its a family operation and I doubt there are stockholders clamoring for each quarter's increased dividend. That said it seems there are opportunities for more aggressive/modern manufacturers out there, though the market is highly cyclical and many makers come and go. Scamp has survived 40 years thru recessions and calamitous fires; they must be doing some things right.

I admit their website is so 1990's, but then their trailers are so 1980's. The site is probably made by someone's nephew or such. I wonder if they have ever heard of LED lighting. Still I buy their trailers, though my list of modifications is long. I may be a bit prejudiced. My toys are pretty old-fashioned too.

At bottom I am very pleased with my Scamp. Its my second and the first was good too, just a bit long. I hear good things about other brands too. It is great to have choices.

Happy camping, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #17

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
I agree Scamp is stuck in the past in many ways. Mostly that's a good thing, they make good trailers and stand behind them. In several conversations with various individuals by telephone and during two visits to Backus I clearly got the impression that they sell all the trailers they want to and most always have a waiting list. I waited 3 months in the slower Autumn season. They have about 48 employees and don't want anymore. Its a family operation and I doubt there are stockholders clamoring for each quarter's increased dividend. That said it seems there are opportunities for more aggressive/modern manufacturers out there, though the market is highly cyclical and many makers come and go. Scamp has survived 40 years thru recessions and calamitous fires; they must be doing some things right.

I admit their website is so 1990's, but then their trailers are so 1980's. The site is probably made by someone's nephew or such. I wonder if they have ever heard of LED lighting. Still I buy their trailers, though my list of modifications is long. I may be a bit prejudiced. My toys are pretty old-fashioned too.

At bottom I am very pleased with my Scamp. Its my second and the first was good too, just a bit long. I hear good things about other brands too. It is great to have choices.

Happy camping, john
Well...........................may be old school...............but

IF IT AIN'T BROKE; DON'T FIX IT ! ! !...........LOL
Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #18

NE Oklahoma
But some improvements would be nice.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
John, I couldn't agree with you more. Scamp makes a great product, especially for the price, and I would love to see the company thrive for another 40 years! We love ours! And, as you say, choice is good.

That said, I strongly suspect that their demographic is aging. Right now that's fine - there are enough Boomers retiring and traveling. They seem to have plenty of business. But if they are going to survive another 40 years, they need to reach a younger generation of working families, and I sense they need to start looking now for ways to connect them to their product, both online and in person. Compare the lists of current and "legacy" manufacturers - more have gone than have survived. I'd hate for Scamp to go the way of Boler, Burro, and Hunter, all of which are also great products.

I was not holding up the newer products as superior (time will tell…), merely pointing out that they are actively courting younger buyers. As Carl notes, updates (that don't mess with a time-tested design) couldn't hurt. Changes in finishes (like letting go of the faux-woodgrain) or even some choices of finishes (beyond blue or brown) might broaden the appeal, and they needn't be costly. Not everyone wants to spend the time and energy to customize after purchase, especially those who have busy work and family schedules.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #20

NE Oklahoma
So many HATE change, but you can't stop change.

Toyota came out with the SCION brand some time back.
The word "scion" means son, younger generation, etc.

Well, I just pulled into a dealership one day without really
planning to purchase a vehicle and drove off in a 2012 xB.
I love it. Top mileage is 28, but after it broke in I've been
hitting 31-32 average and sometimes as much as 35mpg.

I'm a fat old man, definitely not the younger generation.....LOL
I do hate change. But hey, computers , etc. change every minute.

That said, I see more of us old geezers in the xB and other scions
in our area than the young.........LOL

Scamp could update areas as in lighting to begin with.
And things that interest the young set probably interest us geezers too.
They might even sell MORE to the boomers. Who knows.

Change will happen. Either move with it or be left behind.
When I was a kid the main road (Hiw. 33) had places where the
traffic literally had to stop and wait for the Amish to cross the highway
in their horse and buggies. But those traffic signs are gone. The old
road replaced with 4 lane highway (412) and the younger Amish now
drive tractors. They pull wagons to Walmart etc with their tractors.
And they have to move into traffic like the rest of us.