What do you tow your 5th wheel with? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I am pondering the issue of what new to me vehicle to get. I can tow the Boler with almost anything.....but somewhere down the road we would like to have a 5th wheel. What I get will probably be in the 5-10 year old range, my husband is a firm believer in letting someone else wear the "new" off a vehicle before we get it.

So what do you tow with? What are the good and bad things about your TV? What kind of gas mileage do you typically get when not towing and towing?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
This could be a good one for you
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Question #1: Do you want a Scamp 5th wheel or a Big Foot 5th wheel? (The Scamp is much lighter and can take a smaller tow vehicle.)

Question #2: Do you want to use the truck daily? If you do, then you might want to get a smaller vehicle that gets good gas mileage.

We tow our Scamp 5th wheel with a 1999, 3 liter, 6 cylinder Mazda truck.

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:42 PM   #4

Registry
Gina, that's not to far from what Eric wants. For years he's wanted a '95 Dodge with the Cummins diesel.

Nancy the 5th wheel would depend on what we could find. Looking at the market it would probably be a Scamp, it seems ther are more of those available but I wouldn't say no to a Bigfoot especially the two axle model. Yes whatever we get will be a daily driver for me.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:33 AM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Lizbeth, I'm not speaking from experience towing a fifth wheel (yet), but it would seem that pretty much any of the small trucks properly equipped for towing 5000 lbs with a large V-6 ought to be adequate for towing a Scamp 5th wheel.

Bob Gregson (whose fifth wheel Scamp we're buying) has towed his with an '01 Chevy S-10 four-door with the 4.3l V6 (its the one pictured on the home page right now), and depending on the circumstances when we get it home (like whether or not my folks want the truck and fifth wheel, or they want to keep my 16' Scamp, or they want to keep their 25' fifth wheel and 3/4 ton Dodge and I sell stuff) I may end up transferring the hitch to my '02 Tundra extended cab V6 auto.

The daily use of the truck, once you figure out it's towing capacity, should probably dictate what body configuration you buy.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
The daily use of the truck, once you figure out it's towing capacity, should probably dictate what body configuration you buy.
Roger
You're right Roger. I really love the Tacomas and Tundras, nice trucks. I like the "quad cab" truck but I don't know if I really need the back seat or if the extended cab would be enough. I guess I might need the back seat for unconcieved grandkids in the future but I would hope that far enough in the future that I will be on to another truck by then.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Look at the '00-'03 Tundras... they have the "extended cab" but with opening back doors that are really handy. They're actually big enough to seat adults (for a while) and do really well for kid-sized folk. I have really gotten attached to my '02 in a VERY short time!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1981 17 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Harold Dean
I don't know who has the record for miles towed, but the Quantum 5 I just sold was picked up in Laurel Maryland, went to Norfolk Virginia, up the east shore of Virginia, into Delaware, across the river into Philadelphia, back west to New Mexico and then on to California, Back from California via four corners area over Wolf Creek Pass and back to Central Illinois with a 1992 Ford Ranger Super Cab with 4.0 liter V6. All freeway towing was done in overdrive (I had the transmission gone through prior to taking delivery of the trailer and specifically set up for this). On the freeway, I got around 15mpg. Only problem with truck was loss of water pump around Quartzsite Arizona in mid August (hot and as the sign says 2 feet from hell). Truck ran on the warm side, but never overheated on me. Ran too warm uphill to use the air conditioner and then found out that I should have changed from the 188 degree thermostat to the 160 degree thermostat. After doing that, uphill, downhill etc stayed right in the center of the dial and ac function beautifully. I guess if I was going to do it all over again, my 98 Ranger with the same configuration would be the tow vehicle. Harold
Harold Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #9

Registry
Roger, I will check those out!

Harold, I love your ex trailer. If I had seen your price decrease first it would be in my driveway right now. The vehicle I share with my son (thus the need for mama to get new wheels) is a 1994 Ranger with the same engine yours had. I really like the truck but it has 255,000 miles on the engine, probably fine for tooling around fairly locally with the 13 fter but I wouldn't want to take off cross country with it!