What does your camping vehicle say about you? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
What does your camping vehicle say about you?

Fun Article to read. I guess us fgrv folks don't count.
As rent skyrockets in most ski towns, and the trend of mobile tiny homes continues to proliferate, more and more disgruntled ski bums are flocking to motor vehicles as their primary living quarters. The draw of the open road, chasing pow, and cheap living is one that lures these Kerouac spirits to the asphalt rivers of the United States. With so many different motor options out there for the would-be vagabond, we at TGR put a list together to say what your car camping vehicle says about you. Enjoy and see you on the road.
Be sure to watch the video too. I feel for his mom. ;-)

John

Read the rest of the article by clicking here.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
He's got his whole life ahead of him! Why not? There will be a time when this gets old and he'll move on! I say good for him!!!!!!! You know there are a lot of us that wishes we could do that!
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Trailer alone...

We've done over 200 tours of our Scamp 16. Often finding people in parking lots waiting for us to come out of stores.

The trailer alone really doesn't say much to most people about us. True many people are interested in our "cute" little trailer and are always surprised by how much is in it. Though most people are amazed by it's 'fullness' few can imagine living in it for a month never mind a year. Typically our Scamp is no bigger than their bathroom.

Really spending a year in a Scamp 16 is also not imaginable for many on this forum with larger trailers becoming more dominant at least at Escape trailers, with the demise of the Escape 13(?) and 15.

People's attitude changes significantly once the discussion moves from the trailer to your travels. Very few people we've met have traveled extensively, actually even many of our Escapee friends have not been to some of the places we've been, definitely a little trailer increases the possibilities. The reality is we can go everywhere a big rig goes, but they can't go everywhere we go.

Most people leave our trailer wanting a fiberglass trailer of some variety, at least as they walk out the door. They may like it but most I suspect think we're the odd, but happy, couple. They can not begin to understand how much the smallness of our trailer contributes to our happiness.

It definitely says we're different. For most different is not good, at least not attainable for them. There's tremendous inertia against change even when it's good for you.. consider the overweight, the smokers, the drinkers,....

We're one of the happiest odd couples you will meet. Of course we've met many others, many on this forum. There is something special about our little trailers...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #4

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
His attitude is typical grasshopperish millennial.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Fun Article to read. I guess us fgrv folks don't count.
As rent skyrockets in most ski towns, and the trend of mobile tiny homes continues to proliferate, more and more disgruntled ski bums are flocking to motor vehicles as their primary living quarters. The draw of the open road, chasing pow, and cheap living is one that lures these Kerouac spirits to the asphalt rivers of the United States. With so many different motor options out there for the would-be vagabond, we at TGR put a list together to say what your car camping vehicle says about you. Enjoy and see you on the road.
Be sure to watch the video too. I feel for his mom. ;-)

John

Read the rest of the article by clicking here.
Jill and I took off in a similar way in a "camper" after graduation. Traveled for a few months thru Central America and U.S. National Parks til the money ran out, then jobs, kids, college tuition, life. Now we are back in our "van/scamp" hitting the road as much as possible. My mom must have had serious doubts but, class act that she was, just asked up to stay in touch. The woman had patience. Still, its in the mom job description to worry. Pictures from 1975 and 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
first motorhome 4.jpg   scamp at Joshua Tree national park.jpg  

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #6

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
This kid is doing it right Steve! I feel he's a younger version of a lot of us!!!! I'm really surprised that he's getting put down from people off of this site! I would think his mom would be proud of him wanting to get out and see the world! i say good for him!!!!!
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
I read "On TheRoad" when it came out in the late fifties. Didn't leave me with a burning desire to hit the road. Nor does using the back tire of our vehicle for a toilet.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Today we all could make that kind of decision. Not so when I was that age. The draft would have you. As to the feelings of his mother, totally understandable, concern about getting a delayed start or worse fear he'd be long term steered off 'the path'.

Personally a few years on the road may not hurt him except with some job recruiters.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I did not click on the OP link but think I get the jist of it from later posts. I wish I had just "hit the road" early in my adulthood when something like that was feasible. I often have the feeling that I "lost" the 10 years between 18 and 28 years of age when I changed direction (a little).

Funny though, I spent that first ten years of adulthood serving a 4 year Carpentry Apprenticeship in the Union; taking night classes at the Vo-Tec school in Welding, Machine Shop, Cabinet Making, and HVAC; getting two 2 year degrees at the Community College; and buying a piece of land that later netted me a pretty tidy profit. I worked hard and went to school hard, but don't feel like I really "lived".
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Have to say I enjoy our FG trailer creature comforts that were lacking when I lived in a 1958 Chevy panel truck in Wisconsin winters in the late 60s. Catalytic heater and a porta-potty. Had my mother in for dinner (KFC bucket) a few times and she didn't seem to mind the Goodwill couch I had for a bed. Board bolted to a 5 gallon bucket made a fine table. Made a trip to New Orleans for Carnival in that thing despite half a turn of play in the steering (and vacuum windshield wipers that sometimes had to be helped to wipe back to the right by flicking the drivers side with a finger to get it to go that way, performed by keeping the drivers window down during the rain so I could stick my arm out.) Name of the truck was Freude (German for happy/joyful) sprayed on the rusty sides. When I got my first FG (Casita) it got named Freude II. Ahh, the joys of youth..........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
...Ahh, the joys of youth..........
Ain't that the TRUTH!

Years past, I camped where I rolled up in a blanket and slept on a sandy beach in So. California and felt I was in heaven.... fast forward 50 years. Not so much...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #12

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ain't that the TRUTH!

Years past, I camped where I rolled up in a blanket and slept on a sandy beach in So. California and felt I was in heaven.... fast forward 50 years. Not so much...
Yah, I love the sleeping outside bit. Rewind about 40 years and the ex thought we'd be fine sleeping ON OUR CLOTHES in the back of a VW van. You know, one of those that has the METAL RIDGES? We traveled from LA through Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, north to Utah and Colorado. (Up and down those hills and valleys with 36 horsepower.) I don't think my back has ever recovered from that assumption.

Did I mention that was my ex?

Am currently airing out my new memory foam egg crate mattress pad to use in Lil'B this weekend.

That is, if we ever get the electrics sorted out.