What eggs fit the bill? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
VERY few beds will be 80" long. The usual length runs from 74" to 76" (even in "King" beds). I believe Escape (a Canadian company) has a 5er. Corner and / or back wall beds ARE a royal pain, both for getting in & out and changing linens.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:13 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie in Indiana View Post
You must have the corner model, Iowa Dave, correct? That one is 54" wide and with a back sleeper and a belly sleeper that gets cozy. I could sleep on a couch with the hubs, but he likes a bit of room when he sleeps.

I know we will find just the right starter one day soon...it won't be perfect, but it will teach us a ton!

I'm trying to dig into how a Scamp 19' fifth wheel can be modified to a 60" foot-entry bed but haven't found any specifics yet...

More to Google tonight, I guess....
The Escape 21 only had the corner bath layout for years. Recently, this became the 21C (for classic) when they introduced the 21NE (new edition?) with the oft-requested "super-19" floor plan.

Before this, the molds for various trailers (17, 19, 21) were updated and changed in mid-2016 to square the cabins up, improving usable space. This change also allowed Escape to use industry-standard-if-less-elegant flat doors. The older models with the "airliner" curved doors are informally referred to as "classics" on the Escape forum.

So, now the flat-doored 21 which replaced the earlier 'classic' model has become a 21C with C standing for classic; it's admittedly getting a bit complicated.

~

We bought our third trailer third. The good news here is that whether you buy one or twelve, it will be what you wanted to do.

And yeah, the beds can be a booger to make up when they are in corners and such. Walk-arounds generally require a wider trailer. I think the 5.0 TA with an added rear storage box as Jim Bennett has is just about as nice a small combination as you can find. However, we like the bumper-pull 21 as we "garage" our folding bikes in the tow vehicle. They stay dry and are with us when we go exploring.

Whatever you do, have fun. If it gets too easy, get a boat.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:53 AM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:

I'm trying to dig into how a Scamp 19' fifth wheel can be modified to a 60" foot-entry bed but haven't found any specifics yet...

More to Google tonight, I guess....
This fellow did a nice job.

Converting-scamp-5er-loft-
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:21 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
VERY few beds will be 80" long. The usual length runs from 74" to 76" (even in "King" beds). I believe Escape (a Canadian company) has a 5er. Corner and / or back wall beds ARE a royal pain, both for getting in & out and changing linens.
A standard queen & king sized bed is 80" long, and the length used by Escape in the 19, 21NE & 5.0. The Escape 21C uses an extended full (double) sized bed that is also 80" long. While most deep pocket standard full sized sheets fit, there are 80" full size sheets available (sometimes called full XL).
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:40 AM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
A standard queen & king sized bed is 80" long, and the length used by Escape in the 19, 21NE & 5.0. The Escape 21C uses an extended full (double) sized bed that is also 80" long. While most deep pocket standard full sized sheets fit, there are 80" full size sheets available (sometimes called full XL).
To quote someone near and dear to me, “They make sheets so damn skimpy these days.” We use Pottery Barn Queen sheets to fit the 21. Not so skimpy. They fit our Casper mattress just fine. For a blanket, the XL Vera Bradley Blanket. Sometimes on sale, never cheap but oh so cozy. October 7, 41F, windows cracked open, the love shack is cozy.
Our 21 was the 6th one built in the Fall of 2013. It’s our classic and has served us very well.
With me, if any piece of equipment doesn’t do the job with reasonable care and maintenance, I get a different one. If I upgrade, it’s for features that attract me.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:03 AM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Big fan of the Escape 5.0TA with the optional twin bed set up. Different than other brand twins, they are almost normal width, I believe they are 36 inches wide. Years ago, we had a fifth wheel with twins, best floorplan ever.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #27

Name: Jackie
Trailer: Escape Shopping
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Big fan of the Escape 5.0TA with the optional twin bed set up. Different than other brand twins, they are almost normal width, I believe they are 36 inches wide. Years ago, we had a fifth wheel with twins, best floorplan ever.
Tell me more about the twin bed option. This is the first I've heard of it, and I thought I'd done a fair amount of research.

BTW - we decided that the Escape 5.0TA is really the right fit for us. We are going to order one for next spring/summer, and if a used one comes along, we'll cancel the order and lose a few hundred bucks which we will make up in buying a used one. I never imagined our first trailer would be custom built for us, but it looks like it might be :-)

Thanks for the insights and input everyone!!
Jackie in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
BTW - we decided that the Escape 5.0TA is really the right fit for us. We are going to order one for next spring/summer, and if a used one comes along, we'll cancel the order and lose a few hundred bucks which we will make up in buying a used one. I never imagined our first trailer would be custom built for us, but it looks like it might be :-)
As the waiters in restaurants used to say (remember them?) "an excellent choice".

One benefit you will enjoy is being able to fit into smaller sites as the trailer length overlaps the tow vehicle for a shorter combined length.

I don't know that purchasing used will save any money as sellers are well-aware that they are selling to buyers who are anxious to avoid that wait time. But, there's no predicting what will happen.

Our highly-optioned 21 came in well over the published weight, and the loaded tongue weight has also been well above expectations.

The 5.0TA's pin weight is rated at up to 900 lbs and has been reported as high as 1,036 lbs. It's something you might want explore further if you have any concerns regarding your truck's rated payload capacity.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #29

Trailer: Waiting on 16" Scamp
Colorado Springs
Exit from bed....

We had a truck camper with a very nice almost queen size bed over the cab. It was bottom entry/exit. Not great but ok. I agree that with the bed sideways the one person has to climb over another to hit the head. But guess what; at our age we only sleep in short increments so an interruption is minor compared to room and comfort. I think to have side exit for both people in a bed is certainly optimum but dictates a much larger camper than we are willing to go with.

Just saying....
mm2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #30

Name: Phil
Trailer: Escape
Minnesota
Two points - Our loaded 5.0TA has a pin weight of just under 600#.

We live less than 2 hours from the Scamp factory, so they were the first place we shopped. Build quality and interior design quickly sent us elswhere. We'd "buy local" if things were close to equal, but we went nearly 2000 miles to Escape. Have loved every minute of owning, towing, and living in it! Best of luck.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #31

Name: Craig
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Quote:
Definitely looks like a side entry which is the main kind we are avoiding. Darn it! Other than that, it would be perfect! If we could just turn the bed so we could climb in from the foot :-)
How about you crawl in first and hub crawls in after? That way, when he crawls out at 4:30 am there's no disturbance.
Craig Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #32

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: HC1
Rhode Island
Does it have to be used?

If not, check out the Happier Camper HCT. It meets your requirements (as far as I can tell) and the design is beautiful. We pick ours up in about a month
Jlponnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #33

Name: Julie
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 25B25RQ (Sold: 1985 Scamp 13 & 1985 Scamp 16)
Nebraska
Registry
I'll go through your list with our 2005 Bigfoot model 25B25RQ as reference; the 25B21FB or 25B21RB would be similar everything would be smaller and less separation

Here's our "must haves"...
easy to tow (open to a fifth wheel or tow behind)
---- It's a dream to tow
Under 24' total length (not body length)--the interior length is 21", the entire length with bumper and tongue is 25'6". We tow with a F-150 v6 Ecoboost.
full bath - wet or dry----- Not only is it dry but the bathroom is large and has a beautiful large skylight as a ceiling in the shower! Bathroom cabinets above and below.
60" bed (ideally 80" long) (bigger is fine)-----We put a queen topper 60 x 80 on ours OVER the 60 x 74 mattress and didn't get around to cutting it to fit for almost a year. The topper just slumped down at the end but you could pull the mattress out a little from the wall at the head and split the difference.
access to bed WITHOUT climbing over each other (side access). ------ The bed is completely walk around, even with the mattress topper not trimmed. Eventually we trimmed the extra 6" since my husband is 5'7" and I'm 5'3".
some sort of separation from the bed and the main living space...hubby gets up early (4:30 often) and I sleep in. A curtain is enough, but the further the better ------There is a complete separation of the true floor to ceiling bedroom from the rest of the trailer. Side tables with counters and cabinets above. Lift up bed and full storage under the bed too! We have a soft accordion door for privacy that can be closed. All the shades are day-night also so they do block out light.

Here's our "would like to have"...
solar or solar potential ---- our trailer has 2 170 watt panels and there is still room for more in addition to the AC, 2 Fantastic fans one in bedroom and one in bathroom, 2 large skylights, walkable roof with built in ladder and roof rack.
Lots of windows/light----One of my favorite thing about the trailer! 180 degree views from the front dinette and rear bedroom.TWO large skylights flood the bath and main living area with light. Main area has a pleated shade to cover when light not desired. Window over the kitchen sink and in the door too!
bench dinette----much larger dinette than our Scamp 16. full storage under each bench in addition to storage behind one side and extra lower cabinet and upper cabinets.
insulation to allow late fall/early spring camping--- Bigfoot is by far and away the best insulated true 4 season camper. You can use it in the snow! Heated underbelly, ducted furnace, double pane thermal windows, antireflective dark windows, 1.5" foam core insulation.

The extra height and width are truly amazing in how large and spacious it feels inside. I like my kitchen, with oven, 3 burner stove, microwave, double sinks and large refrigerator with a separate freezer. Having 45 gallon fresh, gray and black tanks and 2 30# propane tanks along with solar allow us the ability to dry camp for a LONG TIME!

Used trailers in this model are now running in the mid 20's for trailers from years 2000-2010. mid 30's to low 40's for 2010-2015. MRSP is in the low 60's but people generally get discounts from related dealers and pay in the low 50's for new. Prices differ where you are in the country. Many will drive a long way to buy them and they sell within a day or two!

Good luck in your search! We are retiring in 5 years and plan to use our trailer for seeing the country too!

Julie
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:26 PM   #34

Name: Julie
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 25B25RQ (Sold: 1985 Scamp 13 & 1985 Scamp 16)
Nebraska
Registry
At this link there is a floor plan like mine for the earlier Bigfoot 25 Rear Queen floor plans that had a lower cabinet vs the extended dinette bench. I wasn't sure how to add a photo to my post!

https://rvbg.trailerlife.com/product...foot-25b-25rq/

We just weighed our with 45 gallons of water and 2 30# tanks that weigh 60# each and fully loaded and it was 6,480#. We only plan to travel with one propane and 10 gallons fresh water since we use hook ups typically so that would subtract about 280 pounds and 60 pounds.
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:03 AM   #35

Name: Jeff
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Don’t know all the floorplans but it seems separate beds would be the simple solution.

I know several couples who sleep separately to some extent due to medical issues or snoring or different sleep or work schedules.
jcj380 is offline   Reply With Quote