What eggs fit the bill? - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #1

Name: Jackie
Trailer: Escape Shopping
Indiana
What eggs fit the bill?

Hi all...we are new to trailer life and are inching closer to retirement which we hope includes spending a lot of time in a travel trailer seeing this continent. We thought we'd get our feet wet with a used fiberglass trailer to see what we love/need/etc. We adore Escape trailers, and really would like a 5.0TA. They are hard to come by used though, and we don't feel ready to put the money in for a new one. So....if we venture out, what used trailer set ups would fit our bill? Here's our "must haves"...
  • easy to tow (open to a fifth wheel or tow behind)
  • Under 24' total length (not body length)
  • full bath - wet or dry
  • 60" bed (ideally 80" long) (bigger is fine)
  • access to bed WITHOUT climbing over each other (side access). Even if it's from the foot like in an Escape 5.0, we can do that without disturbing the other.
  • some sort of separation from the bed and the main living space...hubby gets up early (4:30 often) and I sleep in. A curtain is enough, but the further the better (Scamp fifth wheel would be perfect if the bed weren't so darned small).

Here's our "would like to have"...
  • solar or solar potential
  • Lots of windows/light
  • bench dinette
  • insulation to allow late fall/early spring camping

What comes to mind that we might look for in the used market? The combined knowledge of the forum users is staggering. I'm sure you can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Jackie
Jackie in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
When you want a model that has been out for just a few years, you save very little buying used. The molded FG trailers just don’t depreciate like typical RVs. I’d just order a new one.

The 5.0 TA is a fine camper.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #3

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
You might look around for an original Escape 5.0 Single Axle.
That is really a nice trailer, and while somewhat shorter and narrower it is still roomy and beautiful.

Of course there is always a Scamp19D which is a great trailer as well. While it would be my choice, I don't often see the Escape and the Scamp as both having serious appeal to the same buyer. Check it out anyway.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:50 AM   #4
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Escape 19 would meet your requirements.

http://escapetrailer.com/the-19-foot-escape/
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:25 AM   #5

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Escape 19 would meet your requirements.

http://escapetrailer.com/the-19-foot-escape/
I love everything about the 19í, but doesnít it have a side entry bed?
Old 08-24-2020, 04:28 AM   #6

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Of course there is always a Scamp19D which is a great trailer as well. While it would be my choice, I don't often see the Escape and the Scamp as both having serious appeal to the same buyer. Check it out anyway.
We could do a Scamp for sure, but isnít the bed side entry? Climbing over the hubs to get in and out of bed will get old real quick!!
Old 08-24-2020, 06:20 AM   #7
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie in Indiana View Post
I love everything about the 19í, but doesnít it have a side entry bed?
True, you exit from the bottom. But a queen bed with side entry makes for a very wide trailer. Too wide , especially when you find yourself in a construction area with jersey barriers on both sides of the lane. . Everything is a compromise. The Escspe 19 has been around for years so used are more common.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #8

Indiana
Quote:
True, you exit from the bottom. But a queen bed with side entry makes for a very wide trailer.
Iíve never seen a 19 in person. Do you get in the bed from the foot end or the side? I thought it was the side meaning I would have to literally climb over the hubs to get out of bed.... We could deal with foot entry where we donít have to clamor over each other :-)
Old 08-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #9
Raz

Vermont
Follow the link in my first post., there's a floor plan.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #10

Indiana
Quote:
Follow the link in my first post., there's a floor plan.
Definitely looks like a side entry which is the main kind we are avoiding. Darn it! Other than that, it would be perfect! If we could just turn the bed so we could climb in from the foot :-)
Old 08-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #11
Raz

Vermont
Quite right. My mistake. I missed the pillows. Some folks have built an extension on the bed in the Scamp 19 to allow foot entry. Also, both Casita and Oliver have twin bed models.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You have to step up to the E21 to get a longways bed with foot entry. It's a full width (54") not queen (60"), but it is queen length (80").

You will probably want to join the Escape forum. Seems like some used units list and sell there without ever reaching the general market. 5.0TAs are few and far between.

Best wishes in your trailer search! It's kind of a crazy time for RVs in general, with lots of first-timers choosing RV travel this year over planes and hotels due to the pandemic. It will right itself eventually, but used RVs are scarce and wait times for new longer than normal. What is the lead time now for a new Escape?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Width

Quote:
Quite right. My mistake. I missed the pillows. Some folks have built an extension on the bed in the Scamp 19 to allow foot entry. Also, both Casita and Oliver have twin bed models.
Quote:
True, you exit from the bottom. But a queen bed with side entry makes for a very wide trailer. Too wide , especially when you find yourself in a construction area with jersey barriers on both sides of the lane. . Everything is a compromise. The Escspe 19 has been around for years so used are more common.
I did not find our 19 width as any kind of a hinderance when driving construction zones and pulled it through many major cities numerous times. We upgraded to an Escape 21, that is wider than the 19, and I still have no problem pulling through jersey barrier corridors. Attention to detail, sound driving practices and abilities and the confidence to get the job done will stand anyone in good stead. Easy does it.

The Escape 21 fills the parameters you have listed and more. Used ones, which I find to be reasonably priced come up every once in a while. Take a page out of the Paladin business card design book and modify it slightly. “Have tow vehicle, cash and time, will travel anywhere”. Be ready, know what you want, and keep the fuel tank full.
That’s my $.02.......$.03 Canadian.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #14

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The Escape 21 fills the parameters you have listed and more. Used ones, which I find to be reasonably priced come up every once in a while. Take a page out of the Paladin business card design book and modify it slightly. “Have tow vehicle, cash and time, will travel anywhere”. Be ready, know what you want, and keep the fuel tank full.
That’s my $.02.......$.03 Canadian.
Iowa Dave
$.03 Canadian....still chuckling here... Anyways, Iowa Dave, doesn't the bed in the 21 run sideways as well? The corner bed is 54" I believe. We were fortunate enough to ahve a 21 owner a few hours north of us let us come see his in person. It was lovely, but the corner bed is just too narrow for us. The NE design runs side to side and I don't see a way to change it. I am an avid reader on the Escape forum, and 21s do seem to come up a bit more often than a 5.0. The 23 coming soon has absolutely everything on our list, but is a bit longer than we want to start with and we don't want to go new until we are ready for our "forever" trailer (lol - is there such a thing?).

Keep the ideas coming. I'm going to look at the modifications on the Scamp mentioned, too. We are open to out of the box thinking/mods.

Thanks all!!
Old 08-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #15

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I currently have a 2019 Big Foot 24RQ and I previously owned a Casita 17' spirit Deluxe, both bought new. If I do buy another RV, which I do not expect to due to my age, I will buy a non molded trailer, based on Quality #1 and floor plan #2. You should include such trailers in your search.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #16
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
I did not find our 19 width as any kind of a hinderance when driving construction zones and pulled it through many major cities numerous times. We upgraded to an Escape 21, that is wider than the 19, and I still have no problem pulling through jersey barrier corridors. Attention to detail, sound driving practices and abilities and the confidence to get the job done will stand anyone in good stead. Easy does it.

Iowa Dave
I thought the Escape 19 bed was north to south, i.e. 60" against the back wall, with foot entry. My error. Add entry on both sides to that and you would get a very wide trailer, which is probably why it's not done. Pulling an 8 foot wide trailer through a 10 foot wide lane with jersey barriers on both sides is not something I would enjoy.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #17

Name: Justus
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Illinois
So which need can you compromise on?
Bigfoot 25 meets all your requirements...except length.
Escape 19 meets all your requirements...except bed access.

Bigfoot made, in the early 2000s, a 21' with bunk beds but they are rare. In the 80s, Bigfoot also made a 19' with bunks, and two 5th wheels though they may be side access beds and they are just as rare as the 21' bunk layout. The 5.0 is more common than any of these.

Perhaps you could modify the front area of a 21' Bigfoot with front bed to support a walk around or lengthwise bed. I believe I've seen that on this forum.

BTW, the lengths indicated for eggs are total length, not can only as is typical with stickies. So the Escape 23 is within your limits!
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hi Jackie
The bed in the 21 runs the long way of the trailer. We are not small people, and we have used the bed in our 21 For several seasons. The length is plenty long for us, Rita is 5’10” and I used to be but gravity has prevailed and I’m some less than that now. We are side sleepers and the 21 with Casper mattress added by the previous owner gives us a good nights sleep. A while back I had a cold on one of our outings and stayed on the table bed for that trip. We have a Snap 2 table frame that goes up and down easily and do not find it a problem to lower the table each evening and raise it in the morning. I like sleeping on a stiff surface so the seat cushions were fine. Instead of bedding I used a sleeping bag which psychologically took me back to my tenting days and was enjoyable to me.

I have the ability to fall back asleep quickly about any night so when we had the 19 and Rita needed to get up and was on the “inside“ she woke me up, I got out of her way, got a drink of water and after she reclaimed her spot, I laid down and
Was back to sleep in a couple of minutes. We just didn’t find the “crawl over” that big of a deal.

The width of the aisle in the 21 makes passage easily possible and is one of the reasons along with the abundant storage why we love our 21.

Good luck finding the right trailer for you. Every time I drive up to a garage sale that doesn’t look like it would have anything for me I think “You never know” and the Casey Stengal hope mantra “You gotta believe”.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #19

Indiana
Quote:
Hi Jackie
The bed in the 21 runs the long way of the trailer. We are not small people, and we have used the bed in our 21 For several seasons. The length is plenty long for us, Rita is 5í10Ē and I used to be but gravity has prevailed and Iím some less than that now. We are side sleepers and the 21 with Casper mattress added by the previous owner gives us a good nights sleep.
You must have the corner model, Iowa Dave, correct? That one is 54" wide and with a back sleeper and a belly sleeper that gets cozy. I could sleep on a couch with the hubs, but he likes a bit of room when he sleeps.

I know we will find just the right starter one day soon...it won't be perfect, but it will teach us a ton!

I'm trying to dig into how a Scamp 19' fifth wheel can be modified to a 60" foot-entry bed but haven't found any specifics yet...

More to Google tonight, I guess....
Old 08-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #20

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie in Indiana View Post
I'm trying to dig into how a Scamp 19' fifth wheel can be modified to a 60" foot-entry bed but haven't found any specifics yet...

More to Google tonight, I guess....

Best look into how you get up to the bed in a Scamp 19' too.