What else do you tow? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=stevebaz;688737] 1943 Bantam Military Trailer repatriated from Switzerland.

Am I correct in that it has no opening tailgate. I heard that the military version was made so that it would float. Mine is the civilian version, tailgate that opens, and it has rack sides with cross bows and a canvas cover. My grandfather bought it new locally.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #22

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Trailers.. 5x8 flat 1 ton rated (Tractor Supply), for 4wheeler, 16 ft pontoon, 10ft pond prowler, jeep trailer.... still need to expat from GA.
On the HF trailers the 4x4 is what I modified to haul my pond prowler, bought the 5x8 one from them many years back for my 4wheeler it made 1 road trip and failed with a 550 lbs 4wheeler it was supposed to be good for 2000 lbs. (Same one Johns got loaded down) Axle held up but hitch bent and wouldn't trust without replacing all but axle assembly. The trip was about 75 miles round trip.
Lessons from owning utility trailer.. don't loan to anyone, let a "buddy" borrow it to take lawn tractor to shop, he some how decided to use as a car dolly bent bed, torn wiring out bent axle.... bearings shot on bend axle stub.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Agree. I loaned my utility trailer to a neighbor and the SOB sold it! We had a written agreement!

Loan your wife? That's your business. But loan your trailer? Never.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=Tom 72;688847]Agree. I loaned my utility trailer to a neighbor and the SOB sold it! We had a written agreement! /QUOTE]

Tom, Paul Harvey always gave "the rest of the story", what's the ending with this one, you've left us hanging.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:44 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
[QUOTE=mary and bob;688825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
1943 Bantam Military Trailer repatriated from Switzerland.

Am I correct in that it has no opening tailgate. I heard that the military version was made so that it would float. Mine is the civilian version, tailgate that opens, and it has rack sides with cross bows and a canvas cover. My grandfather bought it new locally.
Yes the military version had no tailgate and 2 drain holes with drain plugs. Sheet metal seams were sealed with lead. Some time in my trailers life some depot cut and framed in a functional but crude tail gate before it was shipped back to the USA. I bought it back around 2001with its Swiss military documents. I had to research the origional tub number to find out it was shipped to the european command early 1943 in a lot with 2,000 trailers ordered for the Army. The trailer could float river crossings with its rated load or four troopers inside.

I was going to replace the rear panel as they are available but the trailer is so much more functional with a tailgate. A great little trailer but damn near impossible to back up.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:47 AM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Postscript: The trailer I loaned to neighbor was a modest but useful trailer that I used to haul my ATV and as Jon said, as an Ersatz pick up truck. Very handy.

Rather than take my neighbor to court, I chalked it up to lessons learned.

Now that I think about it, a different neighbor borrowed my ex-wife. He didn't return her either. But, I am sure I had the better side of that deal! I bet he wishes he'd borrowed my trailer.

Do I miss her? If you mean the trailer, heck yes!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #27

Name: Rick
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
Wow this thread has made me smile and feel good about myself. I thought I had a lot of clutter around. Down to one twenty foot boat, a 12 foot drop gate and a 20 foot cargo that has made several cross country trips. After moving the boys all over from college to grad school to multiple homes in Texas I was considering converting the cargo into a sleeper with bunks for the kayaks and me. I ordered it with two small windows that slide open on the sides to the back and a nice side entry door. One time moving my son to an internship in San Antonio I slept on some moving pads in the trailer as I put it in between two semi's in a hotel parking lot. Was woken up as someone was trying to break in a three in the morning. I surprised him also! I had a 22 foot flat bed loaned it to my brother he returned it with the tongue jack broke off. I fixed it sold it later when I no longer need it for work and no longer loan things out. They rent me and the trailer.
Rick W
Rick W in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
What else do you tow?

[attach]117160
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3551.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	117161Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2976.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	117162
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4246.jpg  
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I have my Boler1300 then I have a Holiday Rambler 31ft fifth wheel, a Brimar dump trailer for fire wood, a small utility trailer for what ever, and a covered 4x6 tool trailer.
I have all sorts of hitches and balls to fit either my Chevy trail blazer or my Chevy Silverado 2500.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote